Please help! In-wall for rear surrounds?

O

oogjen

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, newbie here. I really need some advice on using in-wall's for rear surrounds(including rear centers). They will be going into my ceiling. You know that whole WAF thing. On the way is: Axiom M80ti's, SVS PB2-Plus, and Denon 3805. I have looked around on the net and there are in-walls from $50(Audiosource)to $1000 (Sonance). Since I will probably be buying 4 and I am over my budget already, I'd rather not spend too much on each speaker, mabye $100 each if possible. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help.

B

barakas1

Audiophyte
RBH inwall

incase your interested i have some brand new(sealed) RBH inwall speakers.

email me with any questions.

I have some RBH MC8 $230 pair

& some TK8 for $190 a pair

can supply referances:

thanks, Don

F

Fidelity4Me

Enthusiast
In-wall suggestions welcome

Barakas1,

I am also interested in some in-walls. I tried to e-mail you, but your Audioholics profile prohibits that. I have PM'd you instead. Please let me know if your speakers are still available.

Anyone have other in-wall suggestions (lower end)? I am primarily looking at RBH and Polk. These are for a less discerning and cost-conscious friend with a pre-wired basement. A good deal on five timbre-matched speakers (center plus four in-walls) coupled with a used Velodyne sub (10-12") and a Denon AVR 1604 may do the trick. I'm looking to stay between $1k - $1.5k all-in. Thanks in advance!

Paul

U

Unregistered

I need some RBH inwalls

I need some RBH MC*'s 1 pair.....RBH A 810's one pair and a pair of RBH AW6's in white.......you can email me at jamtyme@aol.com

thanks

barakas1 said:
incase your interested i have some brand new(sealed) RBH inwall speakers.

email me with any questions.

I have some RBH MC8 $230 pair

& some TK8 for $190 a pair

can supply referances:

thanks, Don

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
That is an absolute stel on the RBH inwalls
I have installed many in wall speakers over the last 11 years you name the manufacture and Ive probably had it in my hands I can say with the upmost confidence that you will not find a better built, better sounding inwall than the RBH for the money There speakers always seem to outperform there perspective price points

K

Kyotech

Enthusiast
So how do the in wall work? I'm in the same boat with the WIF and all and this might be the way to go for surround and rear center. I don't mind cutting holes in the walls and celing as long as it's going to work and sound OK. Would the in wall speakers still mount behind you or would they be forward more ?

Thans Greg

R

ruadmaa

Banned
"So how well do the in wall/ceiling speakers work?"

I am using in ceiling speakers for my rear channels, directly over my sofa and they work extremely well. I have been using them this way for over 10 years and am extremely satisfied with the results.

You may think that the sound will always appear to come from over your head but it just doesn't work that way. Mostly you are not aware that they are there.

K

Kyotech

Enthusiast
Thanks ruadmaa, maybe that is what I need to start looking at. I would love to have a rear center and surround speakers but the WIFE dosen't want speakers hanging off the wall. She dosen't mind if they are in the wall.

So I guess the rear center should be installed directly above the rear couch and then the surround speakers inline with the center except mounted in the side walls?

R

ruadmaa

Banned
In-ceiling speaker location

I have all three of my rear in ceiling speakers mounted directly overhead and slightly behind the sofa. When you are sitting on the sofa and look directly up they are slightly behind you. They are mounted in a straight line. People visitiing think they are merely airconditioning/heating vents, and in most cases I have to call their attention to the fact that they are there at all.

Sound performance is excellent, as I mentioned above the audio just doesn't sound like it is over your head. Some special effects work spectacularly as when a helicopter comes in from the rear and heads toward the front. You can hear the copter blades whipping past you. During rain storms in movies I sometimes have to look out and see if it is raining.

When you buy a set of in-wall speakers they will generally give you several diagrams on how to place the speakers. In-wall and overhead are both equally acceptable.

U

Unregistered

RBH in-wall in the ceiling

I know little to nothing about speakers. I was fortunate, however, to receive some RBH (MC-8) speakers which I intend to put in our house. Question - is there anything wrong with placing in-wall speakers in the ceiling? Or am I better off putting these "in-wall."

Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis