Playstation Network Down.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Well PSN is down and it has been down for some time, Sony is currently working on this issue which seems only to affect Fat models of the PS3 and not the Slim here is an article on the matter from CNet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cool. Even happier I have a slim now. I had noticed recently that there had been some slowness on PSN though, over the last week or so. Hopefully they DO get it fixed right away.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Cool. Even happier I have a slim now. I had noticed recently that there had been some slowness on PSN though, over the last week or so. Hopefully they DO get it fixed right away.
XBOX Live still > PSN

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Never seen PSN completely down before. XBL has always been better than PSN :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
So that's why I couldn't connect last night. But from what I read, it isn't that PSN is down, it's that something screwed up in the old PS3's causes the internal clocks to reset to 12/31/1999.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1073007p1.html

So it happened to me. Not only could I not log on to PSN, but a bunch of my themes that I paid good money for were corrupted.

Sony blows. :mad:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
XBOX Live still > PSN
Do you remember when XBL went down back in December of 07 for several weeks? So both services have issues difference here is one is free and the other you pay fifty dollars a year for.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
So that's why I couldn't connect last night. But from what I read, it isn't that PSN is down, it's that something screwed up in the old PS3's causes the internal clocks to reset to 12/31/1999.

So it happened to me. Not only could I not log on to PSN, but a bunch of my themes that I paid good money for were corrupted.

Console's version of Y2K.:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Some of that stuff can likely just be re-downloaded. I had those kind of errors when I upgraded my hard drive. I downloaded the themes and stuff again and it was OK. When I got my slim, the trophies kept giving me errors saying the data was corrupt, but after I busted out some new trophies, it corrected itself and my trophy history is still there (whew, that's a lot of trophies ~400+). Some of my game save data was lost though. It could very well be that when the date is corrected, the data that says corrupt will be OK.

There is some content that cannot be copied now - Assassin's Creed 2 game saves cannot be copied to an external drive, it can only be transferred to another PS3. So I bought a 500G drive and can't install it because I will lose that data because I don't have a second working PS3 to transfer it to.

Good to see that it isn't the network, but it is still a pretty friggin serious issue.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I just thought of something. If it is an internal clock issue, why can't I just reset my clock manually and be good to go?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Because it probably isn't that simple. I was going to suggest that, but my guess is they wouldn't have engineers looking into it if that was the answer. It says "internal" clock, so I wonder what that means? I'd be curious to see if the user set clock is correct or not.

Y2K! Y2k! (PS, it was HAL! :D )

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Do you remember when XBL went down back in December of 07 for several weeks? So both services have issues difference here is one is free and the other you pay fifty dollars a year for.
XBL is only $0.136 per day @ $50/yr. and can still be had for less than that. It's not an expensive service and what it offers IMHO is better than what sony offers, and worth the price. I understand being down for server upgrades and what not, but for an issue like this, it's unaceptable. Plus XBL being down never corrupted anyones files on their xbox. Since this only affects non sliim PS3's, I wonder how sony didn't see this coming beforehand.

PS3, the Toyota of game consoles.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
XBL is only $0.136 per day @ $50/yr. and can still be had for less than that. It's not an expensive service and what it offers IMHO is better than what sony offers, and worth the price. I understand being down for server upgrades and what not, but for an issue like this, it's unaceptable. Plus XBL being down never corrupted anyones files on their xbox. Since this only affects non sliim PS3's, I wonder how sony didn't see this coming beforehand.

PS3, the Toyota of game consoles.
PSN is now up and working, Here again you still had to pay for a service which was down for several weeks. PSN is free so there is not much to complain about there and it took about 24 hours for them to fix the problem not several weeks not bad for a free service. Granted XBL is better in respects to content they offer and it should be if you are paying for it.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I didn't play during the down time. My projector was a bust, and is now in service, and I should expect to see it back next year or whenever Optoma's turn around time is.

I like PSN's internet for one reason: We have 6 people in the house. There are 4 Xbox360's and 2 Ps3's. Anyone who makes an account on the Ps3, can go online without paying. Even if my roomie Brad or his wife pays for Xboxlive, I can't play my gamertag online, unless I also pay, so there are 6 people in the house, paying $50 EACH just to be online. $300 a month for me, my wife, and the roomies to play online. It costs us nothing for all of us to have seperate tags on PSN. Sometimes we just wind up going over to the other parts of the house and property to play on someone else's gamertag.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, everything's fine with mine. I just went into my download history and re-downloaded all the themes that had been corrupted. I checked the clock and it had the right time, but the date was 2-28, so I just set it to 3-1 and it's all good.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
My friend notified me when the problem had been resolved so I signed back in with no issues.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They said on the news today that it was apparently a Leap Year thing. Some of the systems thought it was Feb29 for some reason and setting the date correctly should have fixed it.

As I mentioned, this was not a problem with the network, it was on the systems themselves. PSN never went down because I was able to play late on Sunday and no issues last night connecting.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
XBOX Live still > PSN
Damn right. :D

Never seen PSN completely down before. XBL has always been better than PSN :)
And don't you forget it! :cool:

Do you remember when XBL went down back in December of 07 for several weeks?
Nope, don't recall that. But I didn't use Live in 2007. :D

Plus XBL being down never corrupted anyones files on their xbox. Since this only affects non sliim PS3's, I wonder how sony didn't see this coming beforehand.
That's a PS3-exclusive feature! ;)

$300 a month for me, my wife, and the roomies to play online.
$50 per YEAR * 6 people = $300 a MONTH? Man, you must be using that Wall Street math. It's too "complex" for my simple brain to comprehend. :rolleyes:

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
$50 per YEAR * 6 people = $300 a MONTH? Man, you must be using that Wall Street math. It's too "complex" for my simple brain to comprehend. :rolleyes:
Damn straight I got years and months confused. What you think I am? Some sort of gemus?:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis