C

clempo

Audiophyte
Burning question here ;)
I have downloaded bunch of music from shoutcast and burned it on CD. All nice and smooth, I own a simple JVC DVD player and it does the job, however...

When I wanted to make a song list of my CDs it appeared that DVD player reads files in weird sequence, i.e. not alphabetically by Name but somehow else.
The question is how??

There is about 90 songs on disk and I cannot know which one plays when How can I make a playlist from my CDs? HELP !!

p.s All ID3 tags have no track number (this is NOT a ripped music, but legal downloads from shoutcast) and some songs dont have ID tag at all :

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It's totally dependent on the mp3 playback features of your dvd player. I don't know about your JVC, so I'll just give you general info and info on how my Onkyo does it. You'll have to dig into your jvc manual to see what it offers.

First, the files are read in the order they are burned. If you want them in a particular order, put them in the required order in your burning program.

The disc must be burned using ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 format. If you use Nero, you can check Joliet extensions to get filenames longer than 31 characters (31 is the limit for level 2).

The Onkyo requires ID3 tags. It supports v1.1 and v2.3. Any files that don't have tags are displayed with a weird filename. This name is the short name placed in the Volume Descriptor on the disc when it is burned. Not very readable, so ID3 tags are a must. There is plenty of freeware that you can use to update your tags, like Tag & Rename.

The Onkyo does have a playlist feature. When it displays the contents of the disc you can scroll to each file and add it to a playlist. You can then name the playlist. See if the JVC offers something similar.

Random play is weird with mp3 discs. Basically it only randomizes based on folders. If you have multiple folders, it will play all songs in one folder (randomly) before it will pick another folder. In other words, if you burn the disc with one folder per artist, it will play all songs in one artist folder (randomly) before it picks another folder. Its better to just place all the songs in a single folder, like 'Music' or in the root directory with no folder name. All dvd players I have used have this same limitation; yours may or may not.

C

clempo

Audiophyte
I was also thinking about tags. so i burned 3 songs - to put it simple named
no tag songA
ID3 songB
ID3 songC
I knew and listened to disk. Surprisingly it played:

no tagsongA
ID3 songC
ID3 songB

first makes some sense, but why would it play 2 and 3 in wrong order (not alphabetically) :confused:

I burn with Nero 6.3.0.0 and there is no option known to me to arrange files to be burned in some order, I believe it burns files by name or creation date (neither of options works for my DVD)

DVD player is very basic model 334 something, it does not play files randomly (you've got me wrong) it plays them in the same order all the time, yet the order is not clear to me at all :D

All files burned in the same time. It also does not play them by creation (i.e. download) date , place on CD, size or ID3 tag alphabetically.

and the worst thing I've burned a dozen of good quality very expensive TYs :mad:

what I think this is a bug in all DVD readers.
p.s. my JVC is so simple (or stupid) it does not show playlist or file length or file name, but it was dirty cheap :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
In Nero, when you create a compilation you add files by dragging and dropping from the browser at the top to the compilation window. The order in which you add them is the order in which they are burned.

I told you I'm not familiar with your player. Maybe it offers no control over how it plays the files. You might consider another player as even the low priced models nowadays offer the features I described.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis