Planar speaker vs conventional

Junior Audioholic
anyone has any experience dealing with planar loud speaker? what are the good and bad points about it, vs to conventional driver loudspeaker?

http://www.magnepan.com

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ahh...the Magnepan. Quite a popular speaker. My dad has an old set...quite nice.

There are some great things about the Magnepans. They throw a HUGE image, mainly due to the immence surface area of the drivers. Instead of the piano sound coming through a 4" midrange and a 6.5" mid woofer, it has a few square FEET of driver to be reproduced on. A lot of people like the sound of the planars, they tend to sound nice, crisp, and tight. Another cool thing is the dipole radiation. That helps them make a huge soundstage. Once you get them set up properly with the backwave reflection going just right, it's magical. A wall of sound.

The bad...

Magnepans eat amps for lunch. Seriously. The MG20.1s are insane power hogs. I've heard of people biamping EACH speaker with a pair of Bryston 7BSSTs (900W into 4 ohm monoblocks). Yeah, they draw that much power. The efficiency of course is ultra low. Another problem is with placement. The sweet spot is fairly small, and you really can't move too much from it. And until you go for the 3.6R or 20.1, they don't have much bass response. And even in that range, if you drive them too hard, the panels bottom out and sound like arse. So if you have Magnepans, you're going to need a sub, probably crossed around 60Hz. Velodynes usually make a good match because they tend to be "fast" subs (matching the sonic qualities of the planar drivers).

Planars are of course different from ESL (Electrostatic Loudspeakers) like Martin Logans. ESLs use two electrified grids with thousands of volts between them that, when fed a signal, move the membrane inside. These speakers require a big transformer and have to be plugged in. The Quad speakers that you asked about earlier are also ESLs. But unlike the Martin Logans, the Quad's are designed to act as a near perfect point-source speaker (as opposed to the line source Magnepan), meaning all the sound radiates from one point on the panel outward, like the ripples on a pond after you toss a stone in. This helps make them more forgiving on placement.

ESLs tend to also be full range, or mostly full range. This means the ESL (minus the Woofer if it's a Martin Logan) takes care of all the treble and midrange. The Magnepans, on the other hand, are 2 and 3 way designs with a crossover. They have a bass panel, and then a mid panel and ribbon tweeter, or a quasi-ribbon mid-tweet panel. Only the 3.6R and MG20.1 are 3 way designs, the rest being 2-Way Quasi-Ribbon models.

Were you thinking of trying out the Magnepans? If so, order a pair of the MG's straight from Magnepan (only $500) and see how you like them. Make sure not to feed them too much bass. Use a good sub if you can. And of course, get a beefy amp to power them. You'll need it. A receiver will NOT, repeat NOT cut it with Magnepans.

Good luck!

Edit: I didnt' really explain the difference between the magnepan and a conventional cone speaker. Here goes....

Conventional cone speakers are composed of the cone that is attached to a former (tube). Around the former is wrapped a coil of wire, the voice coil. When the speaker is fed power, the magnetic flux in the air gap between the permanent magnet and the voice coil changes and causes the voice coil to move, moving the cone with it (not the best/most correct explanation, but it works). Magnepans use superthin mylar panels and strips. Ah heck, just look at their explanation here. It's much better than I can do.

Junior Audioholic
wowowow..jaxvon, u really know good stuff...what a wonderful explanation.thanks mate!!!

2 more question :

1. I heard the Magnepan need some kind of adpater to be connected with normal speaker cable? what is that actually?

2. so , u mean receiver cant run them , even with denon 5805?

and your personal advice, if u don mind, will you spend 4500 for MG3.6 or u will get something else?

Thanks......

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, the 5805 is the only reciever I would maybe think about using for the Magnepans, but even then, I'd say no. They are 4 Ohm speakers. And inefficient 4 ohm speakers at that. You've heard people say Polks are power hogs? Polks are child's play next to Magnepans. Seriously. My dad uses a B&K ST-202+ amp for his (2ch, beefy 200WPC amp), and it's kinda underpowered.

Would I pay $4500 for the 3.6Rs? I don't know. I've never heard them. I've only listened to older and less expensive models. I can't afford the 3.6s. That said, if you can, and you like them a lot, then maybe it's worth it to you. It might be "THE SOUND" that you have been searching for in audio. Then again maybe not. The only way to tell is to go to a dealer and hook them up to some beefy amps, a good CD player, and drop in your favorite music. Then crank it up and sit back.

Make sure you dealer has some serious juice going to the Maggies though, as they require it. This is not an option. They need serious wattage.

As for the adapter, the Magnepans I've used will accept either bare wire or banana plugs. Not spades. Below is a picture of the binding posts on a MG1.6QR. As you can, it works fine with bare wire, and would also work with Banana plugs (probably the expanding kind would be best).

The MG3.6 has an external crossover box that allows for biamping (they would need it...they're huge...and the smaller Maggies eat power like no other as it is):

There are a lot of reviews on the 3.6s. Google Magnepan, and check out Audioreview. People really like these speakers. I'd say go listen for yourself and see what you think.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
8118 said:
1. I heard the Magnepan need some kind of adpater to be connected with normal speaker cable? what is that actually?
False. Standard banana plugs work perfectly fine.

8118 said:
2. so , u mean receiver cant run them , even with denon 5805?
Depends... I've had MMG's and they were quite happy with an 80 wpc NAD 214 power amp bit that was woefully inadequate when I stepped up to the 1.6's. I wound up getting a Rotel RB-991 for the 1.6's

Ib both cases I was runniing a powered subwoofer and running the maggies full range.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I am curious about planar speakers as well.

So what is the difference between the planar sound and the electrostat sound? That is, betwee Magnepans and Martin Logans, what is the difference in terms of soundstage, richness of sound, etc.

If given the choice, would you go with a Magnepan or a Martin Logan?

Also, I have heard that Magnepans require periodic servicing. Is this true?

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Maggies

Jaxvon has had alot of good info. If You need anymore you might want to check this thread out at HTF Maggies
I haven't read it because it looks like the long friggin' thread know to man but it is all on maggies.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, Maggies do require periodic servicing to sound their best. The Ribbon tweeters on the 3.6 and 20.1 models tend to go after a few years. It's a PITA, but the people who own them see it as a minor inconvenience.

B

Barlow38

Audiophyte
I have a Hafler DH500 amplifier, is it an adequate match for a planar or magnepan?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis