Placing tower speakers on a cabinet (opposed to floor standing)

T

Telefunker

Audiophyte
My audio room has limited floor space. I found an incredible deal on some small tower speakers. Can I reasonable place tower speakers on AVR cabinet 24" off the floor? Currently I have bookshelf speakers there, which are too low without stands. Most of my listening is done standing, so the tweeters would actually be closer to my ears then if they were floor standing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Placing towers, or any other speaker, in a nook or enclosed space will degrade the sound.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My audio room has limited floor space. I found an incredible deal on some small tower speakers. Can I reasonable place tower speakers on AVR cabinet 24" off the floor? Currently I have bookshelf speakers there, which are too low without stands. Most of my listening is done standing, so the tweeters would actually be closer to my ears then if they were floor standing.
What Shady says is true...

But if you are just talking about putting them on a flat surface that isn't the floor, sure, you may be fine.

Depending on your usage, its always worth keeping in mind proper placement recommendations so you can get the best SQ from your setup.

Biggest concern is making certain the console, or whatever the furniture is, can handle the weight of the Speakers and isn't wobbly or easily transmits vibrations to the electronics within.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Placing towers, or any other speaker, in a nook or enclosed space will degrade the sound.
Unless the speakers are designed for that application, which is another advantage of DIY. That allows design of the speakers and room architecture as an integrated integrity. I call it total system design. In the age of HT and multiple speakers this is actually a necessity if you are going for state of the art and don't want the room to look gear is strewn all over the place. Just one more reason why I don't need Audyssey, Dirac or any other work arounds like that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It depends on high it places the tweeters above the ears and if you can tilt the towers down slighty to aim the tweeters towards ear level at the listening position..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis