Placing magnets close to equipment ???

I

iustalionis

Audiophyte
Hi,

Not sure if in the right place. But.......

I'd like to put an extra shelf in a steel AV furniture frame. rw600

Now a friend of mine came up with a brilliant idea to attach that shelf with strong magnets so that it would be removable if I won't need it anymore or need to adjust the height in a later stage.

But can I use these kind of magnets so close to my equipment ? Like 5cm away from it.

AV Receiver
Settopbox (incl. HDD)
PS3
Popcorn with HDD

02Lightning

Enthusiast
Not sure it would do anything or not but I wouldn't. And that would have to be one hell of a magnet in order for the shelf to be able to hold anything up.

I

iustalionis

Audiophyte
Well it´s just my popcorn and a HDD which weigh almost nothing.
My receiver of 18kg probably won´t hold :) , but that one is going on the bottom shelf which is welded.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'll presume by HDD you mean hard disc drive.

Generally not a good idea to have magnets anywhere near one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'll presume by HDD you mean hard disc drive.

Generally not a good idea to have magnets anywhere near one.
That's the first thing that came to mind when I read it, too.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Magnets near electrical equipment are fine unless there is a tube, or something is moving like the magnet or the data/signal carrying material.
In this case, there is a hard disk with spinning platter containing magnetic data.

The metal housing for the hard disk provides a very good magnetic circuit that effectively short circuits the magnetic flux away from anything else, but its not a perfect system.
A tiny amount of flux will still be present.
Over time, as the data on the disk passes through the magnetic field, it will slowly be drawn toward/away from its polarity, averaging its flux toward less magnetic, reducing the datas signal strength.
If left long enough and enough errors occur on the disk surface in succession (ie long enough to be outside of the scope of the error correction), you can lose data.

An SSD wont be affected by a stationary magnet, fyi.

J

jayelwin

Enthusiast
Speakers are probably the most powerful magnets in the whole system anyway.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis