Placing an OLED TV inside a tv cabinet

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
The Missuss wants very badly to retain our somewhat dated TV cabinet as a home for our newly purchased, LG OLED TV. My concern is the tv will get too hot inside the cabinet, as airflow / dissipation will be restricted. I've read these tv's can fail sooner if they operate too 'hot'.

Am I being too cautious?

My thoughts as to altering the cabinet to increase heat dissipation:

> Cut vent holes in the back panel ( unseen when the tv is mounted inside, might help a bit )
> Install some fans on the back panel to pull heat from the interior ( too noisy? )

The top of the cabinet must remain intact for her display requirements, thus direct venting from above isn't an option.

Your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated.

DSD

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't put a OLED in a cabinet, but that's me. You could use some fans mounted inside your cabinet. What's the size? Was at my Son's home yesterday, he has Sony's Master Series 77" OLED. We watched Star Wars, The Rise of Skywalker. It was Awesome! Congratulations on your new OLED.

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Congrats on the new purchase. Well since you are staying with the Missus : ), somethings got to give. I have a Sony OLED and they do run warmer than a plasma. If you must, I agree you could have some fans in the cabinet.
You might be able to cut some long narrow vent holes in the top with a Jigsaw. That way you could still use the top for your display requirements.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats on the new purchase. Well since you are staying with the Missus : ), somethings got to give. I have a Sony OLED and they do run warmer than a plasma. If you must, I agree you could have some fans in the cabinet.
You might be able to cut some long narrow vent holes in the top with a Jigsaw. That way you could still use the top for your display requirements.
Yep, since heat risers that will help for sure. Maybe cut the top and back out completely?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Even with the fan, more I think about it, more I think you should cut those narrow vents on the top,

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Really? I'm surprised by that. I would have thought that any new TV using LED technology and its variants would run cooler than a plasma? Mine's still running strong after 11 years (knock on wood) but gets pretty warm.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Really? I'm surprised by that. I would have thought that any new TV using LED technology and its variants would run cooler than a plasma? Mine's still running strong after 11 years (knock on wood) but gets pretty warm.
Good catch Eppie. I had that backwards. Cooler!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good catch Eppie. I had that backwards. Cooler!
I was wondering...

I have my 65" OLED in a cabinet made for a 70" TV and it has plenty of room to breathe and hardly gets warm to the touch. I have no worries about it overheating.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If they run hotter than a plasma, how much energy do they use? CA outlawed plasma TVs because they used too much energy and there's no way to run hot without being inefficient.

The holes don't need to be in the top, just near the top.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It really depends on how much airflow the cabinet gets on the front bottom and top for movement of air. The only real concern is if you will get very little airflow into and out of the cabinet. I mean, do you intend to run it with the cabinet doors closed? Obviously not. So, while you can start hacking up the cabinet, I'm thinking you are struggling with what is essentially a non-issue.

If it is an issue, then a simple pair of 100mm fans is likely more than sufficient to get enough airflow through the system to keep things cool enough. I would NOT be putting big 12" fans into a cabinet for sure. I might also place the fans so that they are simply pulling air up and forcing it out the top front of the cabinet without cutting any holes into the sides whatsoever.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
No need to worry, oled TVs don’t get that hot. I have an oled in a built in cabinet. 55” c8 is in my office and on from 7am till 5pm every day. Really don’t worry about it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis