Placement of rear surround speakers on a wall with single door?

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Media room 15' 10" wide and 19' deep, 10' ceiling.

Riser at the rear wall - 6' deep riser, height of rise 8". 2 row of seating - one on riser and one right in front of it.

7.2.4. in wall and in ceiling speakers.

Surround speakers are Revel W383.

Rear wall where rear surorund speakers will go, has a door at one end of the wall. The door is 6" from the side wall and door is 3' wide.

One option is to put all 4 surround speakers on the side wall. However I would like 2 surround speakers to be on rear wall.

Please see the attachment. Instead of french doors, I have changed it to single door.

Any suggestions for placement with the single door interfering?

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Why not above the door?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Why not above the door?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
From what I am reading that it should be just above ear level. Won't it be too high above the door and close to the ceiling like in ceiling speaker?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If you really want them on the rear wall, that's probably your only option. Either that or hang it on the door. Personally, I've never had my rear speakers at ear level.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am ok with all 4 surrounds on side walls but will it sound good? Will it give me surround effect if rear 2 surround speakers are on side walls instead of rear wall?

Can I install one rear surround speaker say 4 feet from the side wall due to door but then where should I place my other rear surround speaker?

The vendor doing prewiring and who installs speakers too said, "We can install the W383 speakers in the rear wall. We will use a sound pressure microphone to balance all the speakers in the room."

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I am ok with all 4 surrounds on side walls but will it sound good? Will it give me surround effect if rear 2 surround speakers are on side walls instead of rear wall?
It will definitely sound different from the speakers being in the back.

Personally I’d just mount it above the door. The ears will be able to differentiate between sound originating from behind verses sound originating overhead.

If you go with the side walls, you should just go with 5.1 instead of 7.1. With the latter, the two rows will be hearing something different. Doesn’t strike me as a desirable situation...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis