Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
One of the materials suggested by Screen Goo to use as a background material is "Sintra". I am in the Sign business and this is one of the materials we often use. It is a flat no-gloss plastic (PVC I think) that comes in 4x8 sheets, 3mm or 6 mm thick (1/8" or 1/4").
I am wondering what kind of picture one would get if this product was used as-is without any kind of paint.

Any thoughts?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would think that you would still get a fair amount of reflection off the surface and not enough image dispersion. The main reason you want to start with that surface is that it is 100% flat. No waves in it the way drywall is, plus it is not a 'fixed' surface, so you can move it around once it is mounted if you need to tweak it some.

Proper light dispersion is what the paint coats add so that when the projected light hits it, light reflects and scatters evenly across the viewing area. To much reflection and you see severe hot spots. To little reflection and the image may appear dull.

You don't have to go with 'Goo', but you can use any number of different paints to get very good results. I personally am making a screen with blackout cloth and 1x3 lumber. Light weight, portable, flat, and overall pretty inexpensive.

Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for that. Someone else told me that a 1/2" Gatorboard as-is without paint could be used with good results. Your thoughts?

Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
Thanks wilkenboy, awesome link! However it doesn't actually address my specific question of the difference between a Gatorboard surface and the same surface coated with one the paint types typically used.

I figure that if the gatorboard surface would offer a great picture without painting, then I'd love to skip that uneccesary step and cost.

I guess it's tough to know for sure without doing a side by side test.

What's led me to wonder about this is having seen an example of a test screen with sections done with the various coatings, and there was little difference between them.

Hmmmm.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis