D

Drop-Top

Enthusiast
I recently purchased a brand new A/V system after I had a fire in my residence. I did a lot of research, mostly on this site/forum, and I must say I am 95% satisfied with what I purchased. I have one lingering issue with my Satellite system. I unfortunately live in a huge apartment complex that has Directv fed into each room. They will not be upgrading the complex to HD for at least 2 more years. I have it hooked up via svideo/optical currently. The picture is about as bad I can handle it. I have tried to go through some settings, but it has not helped. I do get over the air HD in primetime here in Minneapolis, but everything else is not. Is there any way to make the picture look better, or am I just going to have to deal with it at this point?

I have a Sony KDS-R60BRX1 LCOS HDTV.

D

Drop-Top

Enthusiast
If it helps, I have a Pioneer VSX-74TXVi receiever that has everything plugged into. I have it connected to the monitor by HDMI cable.

D

Drop-Top

Enthusiast
wow, I am shocked there are no responses from this forum, I must have really stumped you guys!

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
The problem could be several things, the tv, your cables, apartment cables, or just a poor source. More than likely its not your tv if OTA signals are fine. I would suggest upgrading your s-video cable to component first of all. That should make an improvement of some kind. Another option would be to get some kind of power/line conditioner that you could run the source cables and power cables through. This might clean up some of the interferance you're getting in the apartment. This could also offer surge protection too.

I'm not an expert on power conditioners, but I can tell you theres quite a few threads on this forum about them, so maybe check them out and see which one fits your budget.

D

Drop-Top

Enthusiast
Thanks for the only reply. I do have everything running through a Tripp Lite HT10DBS power condition, and unfortunately, my DVR box only has svideo, or I definately would have used component video cables. Maybe this is the way it is and there is nothing I can do to change that.

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
If you got your DVR box from your cable company (like most people) they have may a newer model available with component or even HDMI outputs on it. I'd definitely give them a call to see.

Even though, they may not do anything, you could always try complaining to the apartment about crappy wiring.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Drop-Top said:
wow, I am shocked there are no responses from this forum, I must have really stumped you guys!
Well the most obvious answer to your question is somewhat out of your control. Since you are in an apartment complex you have no real control of the wiring outside of your apartment. Getting help to resolve this would be nearly impossible. As mentioned above newer hardware would definately help. Sure satellite looks great on an analog TV but with the newer tvs it looks pretty mediocre at best. So your choices are to upgrade your box, put out your own dish, or move. Sorry but there really isn't an easy fix.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Drop-Top said:

Instant answers come from instant coffee:D

How does DVD look on that TV? Then you have an idea what you are up against, the apartment system:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis