Pioneer VSX-1021-K Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Pioneer VSX-1021 is a 7.1 channel receiver boasting 90 watts per channel, supports all the latest HD audio decoding, sports HDMI 1.4a connections, and has high quality 192kHz/24-bit DACs. The receiver will pass all the latest 3D formats and also supports Deep Color, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI Standby Pass-Thru. The VSX-1021 was built with Apple products in mind with AirPlay support, Made for iPhone certification, an included cable to connect your iDevice, and two unique apps. Along with a remote app there is an Air Jam app that allows you to use Bluetooth (option Bluetooth adapter required) to stream songs from up to four different devices. Add to that a unique interactive setup and guide system and the Pioneer is breaking new ground all over the place. But don't worry, it won't break your wallet at only $550.

Discuss "Pioneer VSX-1021-K Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The power consumption is up so hopefully the amp sections are a bit beefier than what has been used the last couple of years.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
MCACC vs Audyssey

I almost made a pre-order purchase on this unit just last night. It has everything the Mrs. wants in terms of ipod compatibility. My sticking point though was that the video presentation I watched on this fantastic unit was that Pioneer's MCACC audio set up uses only one sweet spot whereas and Audyssey setup would use at least three. Furthermore, what about and equivalent dynamic and volume control? I do like my audio sound...a lot.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, Audyssey Dynamic Volume is better than ALC, but Dolby Volume beats them both.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I appreciate the opinion matelli but I guess what I want to know is does the Pioneer offer anything along the lines of dynamic and volume EQs in its calibrations. Also, does the MCACC, good sofware from my understanding, calibrate only one sweet spot of multiple. My understanding is that this is a significant difference in audiobility.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
I appreciate the opinion matelli but I guess what I want to know is does the Pioneer offer anything along the lines of dynamic and volume EQs in its calibrations. Also, does the MCACC, good sofware from my understanding, calibrate only one sweet spot of multiple. My understanding is that this is a significant difference in audiobility.
Lack of Audyssey is also my biggest hangup with Pioneer receivers. I like them a ton, but I can't bring myself to buy an AVR without Audyssey...

M

mdbrown

Audiophyte
Can't speak for the 1021-k but I do have an Elite VSX-30 that features advanced MCACC. It calibrates for 1 spot only. It is superior to Audyssey though as it allows full manual adjustments once the process has run. It gives you a graphic picture of the response curves and shows all the adjustments it has made so you can change them if you need to.

My Onkyo had Audyssey 2EQ and it would put out a single test tone per speaker, the advanced MCACC on this unit puts out several test tones in different frequency bands to get a more accurate reading of the rooms acoustics. It also compensates for standing waves and reverberation.

All in all I'll take it any day over audyssey 2eq. As for ALC, I prefer it to audyssey. Have not heard dolbys volume solution but I have heard form multiple sources that it is better than both mcacc and audyssey.

B

bullman1785

Audiophyte
Received and setup over the weekend!

Amazon delivered my VSX-1021 on late Friday. I spent Friday replacing my trusty Yamaha receiver with the new Pioneer.

Initial thoughts:
  1. Sound quality is excellent. My old speakers seem to be clearer!
  2. Airplay is fantastic and works like a charm
  3. Took a bit longer to get the ARC - Audio Return Channel to work with my Panasonic Plasma and receiver
  4. Getting my harmony one to work with this is about 90% done. I think Logitech has to update their database with a few more tweaks. For example, when I turn on the receiver using Harmony One, it cycles through the inputs before settling on a wrong one ;) Need to get this sorted out with either Logitech or Pioneer
  5. Haven't been able to get HDMI Pass-Through to work yet.
  6. More to Follow as I work through it...

R

rsquared66

Audiophyte
Amazon delivered my VSX-1021 on late Friday. I spent Friday replacing my trusty Yamaha receiver with the new Pioneer.

Initial thoughts:
  1. Sound quality is excellent. My old speakers seem to be clearer!
  2. Airplay is fantastic and works like a charm
  3. Took a bit longer to get the ARC - Audio Return Channel to work with my Panasonic Plasma and receiver
  4. Getting my harmony one to work with this is about 90% done. I think Logitech has to update their database with a few more tweaks. For example, when I turn on the receiver using Harmony One, it cycles through the inputs before settling on a wrong one ;) Need to get this sorted out with either Logitech or Pioneer
  5. Haven't been able to get HDMI Pass-Through to work yet.
  6. More to Follow as I work through it...
Did you figure out HDMI Pass-Through?
I have a Panasonic 55gt Plasma connect to my 1021 by ARC HDMI and can not get it to work either....
by the way how do you get 1021 in standby....is it just turn off the receiver?
is it worth buy the Harmony one....?

thanks bullman1785

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis