Pioneer SP-PK52FS with Denon 4200W?

C

canon007

Enthusiast
I'm building a new home theatre (projector, receiver, speakers, 3D Blu-Ray) and haven't bought speakers in around 15 years. I just picked up a great close-out deal on the Denon 4200W receiver and am looking to get a new 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.

I read good things about the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 setup that includes the following speakers that would cost $872 CDN:
  1. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed 130 watt Floor Standing Tower Speakers (SPFS52) - $358 CDN
  2. Pioneer 2-Way Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker (SPC22) txat is 90 watt - $148 CDN
  3. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Compact 80 Watt Bookshelf Loudspeakers (SPBS22LR) - $168 CDN
  4. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed 100 Watt Powered 8" Subwoofer - $198 CDN
Is the wattage too low for the centre channel?

The Denon 4200W is 125 watts per channel. Is that too powerful for these speakers? When i bought my original Energy Connoisseur system in 2001 with a Denon receiver the salesman at A&B sound told me to make sure my receiver doesn't over-power my speakers. Is this true? Should I be looking for speakers that equal or exceed the receiver wattage?

I was thinking about getting the floors standing speakers for the rear as well, but the centre channel seems (and potentially the sub-woofer seem to be a weak link).

Any advice or alternative suggestions would be appreciated. I had figured to spend $1000 to $1500 and these speakers come in under that. If these are a good option, will I notice a big difference with spending up to my original budget?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Skip the Pioneer sub, the rest of the speakers should be fine. Check Futureshop (best buy) and see if you can pick up lower model HSU sub.

LOL, no that salesperson is not exactly correct. I ran the BS22s with 200W, so no that receiver is not too much. Just because it is rated at 125W does not mean you are USING all that power. While it is true that too much power will kill a speaker, it is also extremely unlikely to happen. The speaker wattage rating means very little in practice. That's the max input level before they fail and you are realistically using 5-10w in normal listening and during BIG peaks you might see that 125w come into play for a few seconds.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I'd recommend you skip the 52's and go for 4 22's all around and use the difference to get a much better sub-woofer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd recommend you skip the 52's and go for 4 22's all around and use the difference to get a much better sub-woofer.
I actually prefer the 52s, but with a good sub the 22s are more than capable.

C

canon007

Enthusiast
Skip the Pioneer sub, the rest of the speakers should be fine. Check Futureshop (best buy) and see if you can pick up lower model HSU sub.

LOL, no that salesperson is not exactly correct. I ran the BS22s with 200W, so no that receiver is not too much. Just because it is rated at 125W does not mean you are USING all that power. While it is true that too much power will kill a speaker, it is also extremely unlikely to happen. The speaker wattage rating means very little in practice. That's the max input level before they fail and you are realistically using 5-10w in normal listening and during BIG peaks you might see that 125w come into play for a few seconds.
Thanks for the response and the advice!

C

canon007

Enthusiast
I actually prefer the 52s, but with a good sub the 22s are more than capable.
Would you still recommend getting a sub with the 52s?? I had a guy at work say i shouldn't bother with a sub with floor speakers - but not sure how you would capture explosions or rear sound without a decent sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I ran the 52s without (2ch system), but for movies you still want a sub.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Would you still recommend getting a sub with the 52s?? I had a guy at work say i shouldn't bother with a sub with floor speakers - but not sure how you would capture explosions or rear sound without a decent sub.
Many floor speakers are fairly capable for most traditional music content (aside from pipe organ peddle tones). However, the pioneers are a little weak for bass even for music (they do a good job for what they are, but those are small drivers). You are dead-on about missing LFE (Low Frequency Effects) in movies!

I, also, would say get BS-22 all around and get a sub.
If you do get the floor speakers, understand that they are short and need some sort of base/supports under them to get them up to ear level. Some speakers are more forgiving on this than others, but it matters on the Pioneers!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I had a guy at work say i shouldn't bother with a sub with floor speakers
I had a guy at work say Obamacare would lower my medical insurance cost and improve my coverage. Both guys were wrong.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Having owned them, yes. They do actually have decent bass, but not the kind most people like with movies - explosions for sure. For music ONLY, you could do it.

Someone who says that about a sub has never owned a good sub :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon X4200 (MRSP $1500, on sale for $799) is a really nice AVR.

So it seems your components "cost ratio" is slightly "unbalanced". :D

Reason is b/c some people believe that speakers and subwoofers are salient. Electronics (AVR) are also important, just not as important as speakers and subs. ;)

Some people may spend at least twice as much for speakers/ subs as they do for the AVR. :D

For example, some people with $1500 AVR's may spend $2500-$5000 for speakers/subs.

I just have a feeling if you buy those Pioneer speakers (which are good speakers), you will end up upgrading to more expensive speakers later. So you may just plan ahead, save up, and do it "right" the first time. Upgrade Fever affects us all. :D

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Denon X4200 (MRSP $1500, on sale for $799) is a really nice AVR.

So it seems your components "cost ratio" is slightly "unbalanced". :D

Reason is b/c some people believe that speakers and subwoofers are salient. Electronics (AVR) are also important, just not as important as speakers and subs. ;)

Some people may spend at least twice as much for speakers/ subs as they do for the AVR. :D

For example, some people with $1500 AVR's may spend $2500-$5000 for speakers/subs.

I just have a feeling if you buy those Pioneer speakers (which are good speakers), you will end up upgrading to more expensive speakers later. So you may just plan ahead, save up, and do it "right" the first time. Upgrade Fever affects us all. :D
I was thinking the same.

However, if this is a "stepping stone" system, I could see you upgrading your main Left and Right speakers for excellent music. Personally, I would be happy with BS-22's for surrounds.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking the same.

However, if this is a "stepping stone" system, I could see you upgrading your main Left and Right speakers for excellent music. Personally, I would be happy with BS-22's for surrounds.
I sort of saw it the same way. I do feel more could be invested in speakers. Perhaps stepping up to the Philharmonic AAs even. The Pioneers always surprised me for the price, that they could be that good at those prices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shut the Front Door!!! TWICE as much?!?!
For a second there, I thought you were at my new house and saw that the Front Door was open! :eek:

But after 2 seconds, I realized you meant Shut the F.U. ! :D

I think people who buy the $1500 Denon 4200 usually spend $1K or more on subwoofers. Then probably another $1.5K or more on the other speakers. Of course, they don't have to. Just saying. :D

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I think people who buy the $1500 Denon 4200 usually spend $1K or more on subwoofers. Then probably another $1.5K or more on the other speakers. Of course, they don't have to. Just saying. :D
So what does that make those of us who spend 10x-plus more for our speakers?
Audioholics?

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
But after 2 seconds, I realized you meant Shut the F.U. ! :D
I first heard "Shut The Front Door" on the TV show "Castle". Thought it was hilarious. Got a t-shirt with that on it. Responses when I wear it are funny.

Some people recognize it and smile.
Some people are confused and ask about it. I tell them: "It is a euphemistic exclamation. It's like, "You gotta be kidding me", or "Get out of town", or "Shut the fffffront door". They usually get it then.

Though I like the expression, I rarely say it. Always afraid I'm gonna miss the euphemistic part. :eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When i bought my original Energy Connoisseur system in 2001 with a Denon receiver the salesman at A&B sound told me to make sure my receiver doesn't over-power my speakers. Is this true? Should I be looking for speakers that equal or exceed the receiver wattage?
What happened to the Energy system then? If you have the Connoisseur reference series, you may find they still sound better than those low cost Pioneer speakers. You have an excellent AVR now, so maybe get better front speakers for two channel music enjoyment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis