Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 Floorstanding Speaker Setup

H

Hawkez

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,
Recently I just purchased the pioneer sp-pk52's floorstanding speaker. I originally bought it thinking it was a normal speaker with an aux to plug in my phone. I obviously didn't do my homework on the speaker and cannot get a refund, so I might as well get the most out of it. What do I need to purchase in order to use at as speaker I can plug my phone with an aux cord? Keep in mind that I literally only have the speaker and nothing else. Please and thank ju.

H

Hawkez

Audiophyte
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
purchased the pioneer sp-pk52's floorstanding speaker.
If it's the SP FS52 you got two speakers and the two options above work nicely.

If this is the SP PK52, you've got 5 speakers and the two options above will leave 3 unused.

If the second, you'll need this, http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre300/denon-avr-e300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

an aux to plug in my phone.
You don't even need a cable if sound quality is not a big concern. Use the Airplay (iPhone) or Bluetooth (non iPhone) connection in the receiver I linked above.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Having only one speaker opens up a who 'nuther can of worms. Everything we've recommended assumes you were running a stereo pair. Let us think and get back to you.

And, every receiver I've ever heard of can accept aux cables. And, when I say that, I'm assuming something like this:

cable.jpg

H

Hawkez

Audiophyte
If it's the SP FS52 you got two speakers and the two options above work nicely.

If this is the SP PK52, you've got 5 speakers and the two options above will leave 3 unused.

If the second, you'll need this, http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre300/denon-avr-e300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

You don't even need a cable if sound quality is not a big concern. Use the Airplay (iPhone) or Bluetooth (non iPhone) connection in the receiver I linked above.
Will this still work even though I only have the 1 SP-FS52 speaker, not 2? And sound is not an issue, I just want to use it the speaker and have it not go to waste.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No. Everything we've recommended assumes all speaker terminals will be fully populated. Amps don't like running with unused terminals.

But, let's face it. You kinda set yourself up for this when you posted "Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 Floorstanding speaker setup" in the subject line. It's not "5.1". It's "1"

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-PK52FS-Theater-Speaker-Package/dp/B00IK8I9K2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436970997&sr=1-5&keywords=pioneer+speakers

Let's see what the boys can come up with. I'm kinda out of ideas.

BTW, this IS a "normal" speaker. "Normal" speakers are meant to be connected to an amp or receiver. What I think you're thinking of is those cheapo amp/speaker combos they sell.

Last edited:
H

Hawkez

Audiophyte
No. Everything we've recommended assumes all speaker terminals will be fully populated. Amps don't like running with unused terminals.

But, let's face it. You kinda set yourself up for this when you posted "5.1 Floorstanding speaker setup" in the subject line. It's not "5.1". It's "1"

Let's see what the boys can come up with. I'm kinda out of ideas.

BTW, this IS a "normal" speaker. "Normal" speakers are meant to be connected to an amp or receiver. What I think you're thinking of is those cheapo amp/speaker combos they sell.
I'm sorry for the mix, like I said, I didn't do my homework and now I'm paying the price. So let's say I were to buy the same speaker, giving me two of the same speakers, I can hook them up to a receiver, and I would be good to go?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Where did you get the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR speaker from? Maybe you can trade them in for Pioneer SP-BS22-LR which are sold as 2.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sorry for the mix, like I said, I didn't do my homework and now I'm paying the price. So let's say I were to buy the same speaker, giving me two of the same speakers, I can hook them up to a receiver, and I would be good to go?
Yes. Then everything that was suggested will work.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Have someone build you this,

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Then you can use the cable above along with the amp from j_Garcia's post.

Alternately, this person could build you a cable that has headphone jack on one end and one RCA on the other with the circuit thrown in somewhere.

I do not recommend it.

Best thing would be to get a phone dock type speaker. Sell the single Pioneer and eat the loss. We live we learn, ask before you buy :).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Have someone build you this,

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Then you can use the cable above along with the amp from j_Garcia's post.

Alternately, this person could build you a cable that has headphone jack on one end and one RCA on the other with the circuit thrown in somewhere.

I do not recommend it.
This would solve the stereo to mono conversion, but the problem than is finding a mono amplifier. Aside from high priced monoblocks, the only mono amps I can find are for car audio, and the cost of converting them to home use via a hefty power supply is expensive and, even then, will be cumbersome.

Best thing would be to get a phone dock type speaker. Sell the single Pioneer and eat the loss. We live we learn, ask before you buy :).
I agree. This may well turn out to be his best bet if he can't get hold of the matching speaker.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Amps don't like running with unused terminals.
but the problem than is finding a mono amplifier.
This is different! Recommended further reading/ reference?

What about the countless folk that use AVR pre-outs to dedicated amps?

I have been using a 7.2 AVR in 2.2 mode (as pre-pro only with active monitors for 1 year and then the Ascend on 2 of 7 amps for 1 years). Sometimes even pounded loud enough to hear/feel by the elevator, one unit and a right angle away. The Denon is still going strong.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, it should work. Remember, I go back to tube days, when they were new. They SHOULD work but I've been conditioned to not do so. In such case, your adapter and any amp will work but it would be a waste of a good stereo. Your final solution would probable be cheaper in the long run..

For my 6.1 Denon, I tell it there is no 6th speaker. Yeah, 6.1. I bought at just the right time, didn't I?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis