Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi

S

Sage

Audiophyte
What is your take on this new Pioneer model? Is it the best for the money. You can get the VSX-56TXi for about $1000 on the Internet. I have a high-end DLP HDTV and Progressive DVD unit and of course a 6.1 speaker system.

U

Unregistered

If you want the best sound quality (remember watts does not = sound quality) as oppossed to the most gadgets, I would look at Rotel, B&K, Arcam and especially NAD. NAD is very very good (in the amplifiere w and not as expensive as some of the others. I use separates myself as I am mostly concerned with music, the separates are a huge jump over the receivers I have had. I just have 2 floorstanding speakers now and have never been happier. Surround is overrated IMO. However, they are the ones I'd look at if I was shopping a receiver. The Pioneer (yes even Elite) is not known for excellence in sound quality, but excellence in mostly useless features and gadgets. NAD amps are excellent, Pioneer amps are not at all. This would crush that Pioneer in Power and sound quality, clarity, bass, etc. Look at the IHF Dynamic power (that is how most receivers rate their actual power)! Point is, take your time and shop around.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_T763.pdf

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5724138973&category=39791

U

Unregistered

Sage said:
What is your take on this new Pioneer model? Is it the best for the money. You can get the VSX-56TXi for about $1000 on the Internet. I have a high-end DLP HDTV and Progressive DVD unit and of course a 6.1 speaker system.
I disagree with the other poster Surround Sound is great and the Elite is tremendous! That is a great amp

U

Unregistered

Hi Sage,
Well I believe the sound quality of any certain receiver will vary depending on the listeners tastes. I will relay my story to you though. A little over 3 weeks ago I purchased the Denon 3805 receiver, mostly in part to the reviews here. After tinkering with the setup for over a week I decided to return the unit. I simply didn't like the sound of it. This is not to say it is a bad receiver, I just didn't like it.

So I returned it and picked up the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TXi receiver. I was very pleased with the sound of it. I thought it warmer, which I like. I also thought the advanced MCACC setup was a little better. In any event I was happy with the receiver as a whole, but had wished I got the 56. A week later I returned the unit and picked up the VSX-56TXi and couldn't be happier.

Since you mentioned a 6.1 speaker setup then the surround portion is obviously a factor for you. I think you will be happy with the surround quality of this receiver if you chose to go this route.

In the end I think it all boils down to what sounds good to you, for the price range you are looking at. For me it was the Elite 56, for you who knows!

U

Unregistered

The Pioneer is certainly a nice receiver. However, best at the price point is hard to say. I agree that NAD has probably the best amplifier sections and is the most focused on music around that price range. However, it does lack some of the features that other brands load into their receivers. Listen and look at specs to decide which is right for you.

U

Unregistered

Firewire

I considering changing my receiver, I was looking to buy Pioneer VSX-56TXI, good amp
great connection capabilities etc. but my primary objective is to connect my computer over firewire (pure digital high speed connection) to have DVD audio and SACD capabilities playing from my computer. Is it possible to setup such connection on VSX-56TXI

Thanks
Zorro

W

Wesley

Audiophyte
I bought a vsx-56txi, and while it is a very good unit in terms of features, I do not like how it sounds with my system. You may want to read my post "Help Needed - VSX-56TXI Sounds Bad".

R

rawdawgy

Audiophyte
I had HK500 - powerful but dark. Had low-mid end Denon, too bright and not enough power. Have a B&K 202 (used) coming and Pioneer 56TXi coming. I've only listened to the Pioneer a little and slightly concerned at -18 it was awefully quiet hooked up to deftech's. I will see when it gets home - any public places to post a pictures (like the insides I'll peek at) and impressions (not qualified to review, but can give opinion)?... Too much bad comments about NAD, but that neglects to say how many happy NAD people there are. I really need to go see/hear it in action - then probably would have bought one.

I tend to think too much processing, bells & whistles overshadows the core power capacity of the units and the 100-120 wpc means jack s*!&. Like i remember my HK was heavy and corresponding strong (maybe not greatest clarity)... The denon light, correspondingly weak but crisp hiding lack of midrange-lower bite.

Wanted a receiver that uses toroidal xfrmr (like that NAD or B&K)... Pioneer 56TXi is said to be 45 lbs (5 pounds heavier than 54Tx), but no toroidal xfmr.... Yet the ole B&K is 55 lbs and both have same claimed capacitance. It'll be an interesting comparison for myself - you will find one of them on eBay in about 2-3 weeks (mine).

In some ways I hope the B&K wins but in others I hope the Pioneer silences the critics, or least makes me a believer. Was about to cancel the Pioneer order and audition the Rotel 1056 at a shop near home, but too late. While I've seen a review say it's actually puts out close to 100 x5 rather than the 75x5, the pictures of the insides look skimpy. Worse, I'll only be able to listen to it on Klipsch, b&w or martin logans and do side by side with Denon and Yamaha receivers.

Will follow up next week...

T

tanviper

Audiophyte
I have this unit

I have the VSX-56TXi Receiver, and the Elite DV59AVi DVD player. I couldn't be happier! The sound and picture they produce is awsome, and that's on a 10 year old LHX TV. I'm getting 34" Widescreen XBR® HDTV
KD-34XBR960 from Sony next, so I can't wait to see what a HDTV looks like running with the DVD player. =-)

I have the DVD player and the receiver runing in iLINK; LOVE IT!! I can play SACD, 5.1 CD's, DVD's, and normal cd's off 1 cable =-)

when I get the TV, I'll run the DVD player to the TV with 1 HDMI cable. sweet!!

-James

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis