Pioneer Elite SC-72 vs. Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030?

G

Gellor02

Audiophyte
Hello,

I'll start with I really don't know all that much about receivers. I'm putting together a system for my basement where I will generally watch TV and movies. However, when the wife is gone, :) I will definitely want to turn the volume up for some music. I can generally get the Pioneer above for about $200 less than the Yamaha, I'm just not sure why. Any advice anyone can offer between the two would be greatly appreciated.

The system I'm putting together will have 2 fronts, 1 center, and 4 speakers in back.

Thank you!
-Matt

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
What speakers and how many sources? What is your room size?

G

Gellor02

Audiophyte
Went to Best Buy Magnolia and they recommended Martin Logans, so I would either go with the Motion 20s or 40s. I will add though that I get pretty heavy discounts on most speakers. I was planning on pairing the Martin Logans in front with Martin Logan ElectroMotion R 8"s for the rear.

The room is kinda a large split room, but I would be just putting speakers in half of it. So the part I would be targeting is width wise around 17', length wise around 28 - 30".

thank you!

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Bit of advise, never go with a big box stores recommended speakers. Listen and decide for yourself. Your gonna need a really good sub or 2 to fill that space so in budgeting your sub budget should be at least equivalent to front 3. I'd audition as many speakers as possible and look to id brands for a sub ie, SVS hsu rythmik outlaw Seaton jtr etc. You can get the denon x4000 for under a grand on the net, that should get you in the ball park for most speakers without knowing. However choose your speakers first.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bit of advise, never go with a big box stores recommended speakers. Listen and decide for yourself. Your gonna need a really good sub or 2 to fill that space so in budgeting your sub budget should be at least equivalent to front 3. I'd audition as many speakers as possible and look to id brands for a sub ie, SVS hsu rythmik outlaw Seaton jtr etc. You can get the denon x4000 for under a grand on the net, that should get you in the ball park for most speakers without knowing. However choose your speakers first.
This^ You can't choose what to power them with until you've chosen the speakers. I agree with the Denon selection as well, though I don't see a problem with Yamaha. Pioneer wouldn't be a first pick for me.

G

Gellor02

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. Great point on the speakers. I know I tossed in a Metallica live concert dvd at Best Buy last night and compared some Bowers and Wilkins to some Def Techs. Even though the B&Ws were more $$, I actually liked the sound from the Def Techs better.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I'll price out the Denon as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis