Pinnacle Loudspeakers Unveils SUBcompact 6: The World's Smallest Powered Subwoofer!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Pinnacle introduces a new solution for space saving subwoofers: the SUBcompact6. The new SUBcompact 6 powered subwoofer is housed in a diminutive ~8” cube. The SUBcompact 6 produces deep, authoritative and convincing bass down to 28 Hz (@ -3 dB).

Pinnacle Subcompact6 Subwoofer!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
gene said:
Pinnacle introduces a new solution for space saving subwoofers: the SUBcompact6. The new SUBcompact 6 powered subwoofer is housed in a diminutive ~8” cube. The SUBcompact 6 produces deep, authoritative and convincing bass down to 28 Hz (@ -3 dB).

Pinnacle Subcompact6 Subwoofer!
This looks like a promising design. It's impressive that that size of driver produces bass down to 28 Hz. :)

C

cstanley

Enthusiast
surveyor said:
This looks like a promising design. It's impressive that that size of driver produces bass down to 28 Hz. :)
i wonder how this compares to the sunfire super jr, that is about the same
size - a 9x9x9 cube .

http://www.sunfire.com/SuperJrPR.htm

the sunfire goes down to 22hz (-3db), but does cost ~$750 vs $499.

-carl

plhart

Audioholic
Okay, I'll be the curmudgeon here. Note that nowhere in Pinnacle's announcement do they quote what kind of SPL levels this little guy can hit. And since they claim an "anti-clipping circuit" and only 200 watts RMS, it would be awfully tough to get over 100dB at most.

It might be possible, if, like some of the other super small subs, the Pinnacle guys have designed a one-note bass box. That is, a sub purposely designed to have a very limited frequency response spectrum. But knowing Pinnacle and having used one of their subs previously (very nice!) I don't think that's the way they'd go.

Maybe Pinnacle will let us have a go at testing the Pinnacle 6? I'm a sucker for small subs. And if you need four of them to get enough SPL, that's okay with me.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Its very hard to over come the short comming of a small surface area
the only way this can be done is with higher X-Max I am not a big fan of a small driver/small enclosure that must move at extream linear x-max to even equal the size of a 10" woofer surface area

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Has anybody out there heard the Pinnacle subs? Baby-Boomer? Plus? Digitalsub 600?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I purchased a Digital Sub 300 which was the 600 predeccesor back when I was a mere consumer. It had problems with the preamp clipping when input signal exceeded 1Vrms and the woofers would "double" when driven too hard making it sound like a helicopter. At the time they weren't familiarized with dynamic range of DD/DTS LFE output. I believe they redesigned the preamp to handle higher signal levels and they added limiting circuit to prevent woofers from overloading in the 600 version. They also bumped the power up. While the 300 did have a nice sound when operating linearly, it didn't have the dynamics I was after. Perhaps the 600 would fair better if they resolved the issues I noted.

C

cstanley

Enthusiast
another small sub that gets alot of good press (haven't heard
it myself) is the REL Q-108E - it made the absolute sound
"editors best buy" - it is a 10" cube, lists for $749 - about
the same as the sunfire Jr. (which i have heard & sounds
really good).

those 2 are on my shortlist, if i can only find someone that
carries the REL in SF...

-carl

i'm also a fan of bag-end subwoofers - i have a bass guitar
bag end system with 2x10 with a coax tweeter, and a 1x18
with the ELF-M2 system - flat down to 18hz, the low
end is bowel-shaking (even tho a low B on a bass guitar
is 31hz)...

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Carl,

FYI :
San Francisco Stereo and Audio Vision are both REL dealers.

Glenn

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis