Pink Floyd's Richard Wright Dies

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Richard Wright, former Pink Floyd keyboardist, has passed away at the age of 65. Apparently he has been suffering with some form of cancer (the Article I read didn't say more).

I think he had a lot to do with the Atmospheric "Floydian" sound which Pink Floyd developed in the early 1970's. It's been a big influence on my life, and to the future music scene. Although he wrote fairly few songs, he had a lot of influence over the sound of many familiar ones. The most famous song he wrote is probably "Us and Them" from Dark Side of the Moon.

RIP Rick, or maybe I should say: See you on the dark side. Your influence will be greatly missed.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5goXIvltXKGWx6JNIo-5rDbZHVI6gD93794RG0

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
65...too young...Ya know he wrote " The Great Gig In The Sky" also.

I've been watching the David Gilmore DVD (That I'm forgetting the title of at the moment) and he and Richard Wright are just so good during "Echos".

R.I.P. Richard. You'll be missed.

SBF1

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I recently within the last several years have become a big Pink Floyd fan. Sad to see a Rock and Roll icon leave us.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Wow how sad

Just heard the news on our local radio station the DJ(Kim Mitchell of Max Webster fame) played an interview with Richard (Rick)Wright and he was discussing how Us and Them came to life by just playing some different notes in studio one day. What a bummer!!

They were amongst my top 2-3 favorite bands. RIP:(

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
That's terrible news. I thought he added as much to the post Waters Pink Floyd as Gilmore.

Sad news.

J

jamie2112

Banned
That really F&^%$N sucks . They were in talks to do a world tour with Waters back in the band. This is really crappy news......:mad::mad::mad:

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
So sad... I should go home and listen to Dark Side

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, considering Pink Floyd is one of my all-time favs this is really sad to hear. Was looking forward too seeing them tour again. RIP, as my prayers go out to his family.

Cheers,

Phil

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
That really F&^%$N sucks . They were in talks to do a world tour with Waters back in the band. This is really crappy news......:mad::mad::mad:
Maybe Rick's passing will encourage Gilmour and Waters to heal the rift between them (finally) and hit the road for one more tour...we can only hope. I know they did a brief appearance at Live 8, but a tour would be amazing.

On another note, I really enjoyed Wright's performance in the recent David Gilmour Blu-ray "Remember That Night". All you Floyd fans who haven't seen it really need to!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Damn, that is really sad.:(
He contributed so much to the Pink Floyd sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pink Floyd founder Richard Wright passes away

Very sad indeed.

Pink Floyd keyboard player and founding member Richard Wright died on Monday after a short battle with cancer, his spokesman said. He was 65.
Article.

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Scary; it's a testament to how fast time is going by.

I wish I could've seen them live.
We've seen Gilmour and Waters live; but never Pink Floyd.
Anyone ever hear them in concert?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic

I saw "Pink Floyd" duing the Division Bell (P.U.L.S.E) tour....but it can hardly be considered Pink Floyd without Waters. It has always been a dream of mine that they would reunite and tour. It's still possible (albeit without Wright)..:mad:

I've also seen Roger Waters during two different tours, who was awesome and always plays with excellent musicians, but it just isn't the same without Dave.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
The tolling of the iron bell...

pretty sad indeed... nothing to say, except thanks and RIP Rick!!
Wish you were here. See you back on TDSOTM when time comes:(:(

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
....but it can hardly be considered Pink Floyd without Waters. It has always been a dream of mine that they would reunite and tour. It's still possible (albeit without Wright)..:mad:

I'm With you there, I'd definetly like to go see them with waters back in the band... Although they are getting pretty old. I'm sure they can still rock though.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja

I was a senior in high school during the Wall tour, but it only hit the biggest cities in the US. Driving several hundred miles into a big city was not an option at 17!:( After that, I am not aware of them touring with the original lineup again.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Here's a wonderful article I found on the UK Telegraph website:

Richard Wright: allowing others the freedom to fly

I was a senior in high school during the Wall tour, but it only hit the biggest cities in the US. Driving several hundred miles into a big city was not an option at 17!:( After that, I am not aware of them touring with the original lineup again.
Yeah, the Wall was the last tour for the full Pink Floyd compliment. Rick quit the band in 1980 after the tour. Their last album "The Final Cut" (not counting A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell) did not feature Rick Wright, and Dave Gilmour even played a small part in the writing and production of the album. There was no tour to support the album. Listening to The Final Cut, you can hear that it's mostly Waters' influence (i.e. Lots of political rambling, minimalistic music, rigid song structure). It's not terrible, but I personally consider it more of Waters first solo album. It's probably his second best after "Amused To Death", IMO of course. :D

I think alot of the vitriol between Waters and Gilmour has ended, but I doubt they like eachother much. According the article I linked at the beginning of this post, David Gilmour doesn't seem to think they'd be able to accomplish much by touring together again.....I only have one thing to say to that.

Making your loyal fans happy(some of us even bought Ummagumma!), isn't that enough?? Oh and you'll make a silly amount of money. Freaking musicians!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Sorry, my rant is over :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis