G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
I have always loved DSM but have to say I'm sick of it. I'm sure if I leave it be for a year or so I'll want some more.
I have been really liking animals...it effing rocks. We always made sure to play it back in the day, when higher than high, but I digress. Does anyone else like Animals? Are there better versions ie remastered or gold or?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Animals is my favorite PF release.
I've searched and wished for an alternate recording, A 5.1 SACD would be great but it doesn't seem to have the popularity that DSOM has.
I'm still waiting for Wish You Were Here to come out on SACD.:eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Call me crazy, but I think Animals is Pink Floyd's best album. You can really get into it and escape if you know what I mean. I could kick myself for recently buying the CD and then shortly after they released it on SACD :(

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
Call me crazy, but I think Animals is Pink Floyd's best album. You can really get into it and escape if you know what I mean. I could kick myself for recently buying the CD and then shortly after they released it on SACD :(
I have to agree on this one.. This cd was one of my first cd's still have a old copy of the disk.:D

J

jamie2112

Banned
Best record PERIOD,followed closely by Wish you were here..........

Wannabubble

Wannabubble

Junior Audioholic
I really think that animals is majorly over looked by alot of people. It really is a great album. I think over all, most of their albums are over looked.

I just recently picked up a near mint copy of Meddle on vinyl (for 6$ :eek:) It was my first time listening to the whole album (I had heard Echos and One of these days on the echos best of album) and I was really impressed with the variety it had on it. When I listened to Seamus, I was surprised how bluesy PF could get. I was also impressed with Wrights' improv skills.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
I started getting into the Floyd right around The Wall (although I had heard Money and other songs from DSOTM). Really thought you couldn't beat The Wall until I listened to ALL of their post Sid Barret stuff! There is not an album I don't enjoy by them.
I'm a big multichannel music fan, but I can't remember if Animals was available as a quad album or not. I enjoy the DSOTM and WYWH quad mixes.....they are a little different. I also have the DSOTM on SACD and that is superb. Supposedly, they were working on a WYWH 5.1 mix, but I don't see it happening with the direction music is going today (compression, compression, compression). Maybe Sony will push music Blu-rays.........one can only hope.

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
Meddle is my all time favorite, but I really like Animals a lot too.

I think a big part of it's appeal for me too is that all of the songs are too long to be played on the radio so I haven't ever gotten sick of them like I have with some of the frequently played tunes off of DSOTM or WYWH.

But the album really flows well and has some great lyrics and playing too.

I've got the 1997 Columbia remaster as well as a 70s era LP and both sound great.

I highly recommend picking up any MFSL Floyd discs you can get your hands on, I have both Atom Heart Mother and Meddle in this format and they sound amazing.

majorloser

majorloser

Let's Not Forget Ummagumma

How can anybody knock an album with a song titled:

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave Grooving with a Pict"

Classic Floyd with Syd Barrett

But for me, my favorite album is "Wish You Were Here". Brings back memories (or is that flashbacks?).

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
How can anybody knock an album with a song titled:

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave Grooving with a Pict"

Classic Floyd with Syd Barrett
A classic perhaps, but there's no Syd on it. Although the live disc does feature his Astronomy Domine it's the Gilmour line up performing it.

majorloser

majorloser

A classic perhaps, but there's no Syd on it. Although the live disc does feature his Astronomy Domine it's the Gilmour line up performing it.
I stand corrected :eek:

I always thought that was the last album that used any of Syd's music. The dude was a total wack job, but isn't that what make a great musician?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Animals is one of the best recording ever IMO. My only complaint is that it is so short. Somewhere around 30 minutes if I remember correctly.
Wish you were Here is very good as well.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There are great albums overlooked for many bands, for example:

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering, and then there were three
Yes - Relayer, Talk
Bob James - Ivory Coast
Pat Metheny - Offramp, Witchita Falls
Led Zepplin - Physical Graffiti
Spyro Gyra - Breakout

I think I will go pop some of these on for a little recreational listening, something I don't often get to do.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Animals is one of the best recording ever IMO. My only complaint is that it is so short. Somewhere around 30 minutes if I remember correctly.
Wish you were Here is very good as well.
41 minutes 50 seconds.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I don't know if it was on this board or another one I like to post on, but I recall someone saying that after they finished Wish You Were Here, Floyd wanted more control over what they did in the studio so they built their own, and Animals was the first album they produced there.

Now the guy who told me this (and, yes, I am guilty of passing on hearsay) told me that when they recorded Animals, they didn't yet have all the necessary gear in place and hadn't found a new producer/engineer along the lines of the combo of Alan Parsons and Stan Ricker who collaborated on DSOTM. This particular guy didn't feel that the sound quality on Animals was as good as it is on DSOTM and Wish You Were Here or on The Wall.

I tend to agree.

The best album title of a Floyd album, though, has gotta be, "A Collection of Great Dance Songs." Floyd had a sense of humor about the undance-status of their music.

majorloser

majorloser

But back in the day double albums had more uses than just extended listening time. :rolleyes:

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
Great Album, and one of my favorite bands. The wife bought me the entire CD collection for Xmas last year. I have not listened to the Meddle album yet but I will.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Huh? Please elaborate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis