Picking an amp. Help!

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
I posted some of this in an earlier thread, but don't have a response yet. I am going to provide some detail, so please bear with me...

I bought a Yamaha RXV 2400 receiver and the following speakers:

2 JAMO D870 (front left and right)
1 JAMO D8CEN (center)
1 JAMO D8SUB
4 JAMO D8SUR

Long story short...

The D870s and the D8CEN are 4 ohm speakers and the 2400 is an 8 ohm receiver. Causes my receiver to trip (shut down) on occasion.

I need a separate amp to run the front and center channels. I was told the check into Parasound. Any suggestions for my configuration?

Thanks!

Mark

U

Unregistered

Parasound or Adcom will work and be cost effective.

Any of the Parasound amps will do the job nicely with your 4 ohm speakers. These amps are also typically very good for the price. I have owned two HCA 3500's. Sold one and tried another amp and went right back. The other amp was supposedly so much better but I ended up sellling it and getting another 3500. Adcom amps will also do the job well and can also be had for good prices on the used market. Either way you'll be happy.

U

Unregistered

Hello,
Have you tried putting the selector switch at the back of the amp to 4ohms.
Don't forget to switch it off before setting the switch....then try it again.

mcwilson said:
I posted some of this in an earlier thread, but don't have a
response yet. I am going to provide some detail, so please bear with me...

1 JAMO D8CEN (center)
1 JAMO D8SUB
4 JAMO D8SUR

Long story short...

The D870s and the D8CEN are 4 ohm speakers and the 2400 is an 8 ohm receiver. Causes my receiver to trip (shut down) on occasion.

I need a separate amp to run the front and center channels. I was told the check into Parasound. Any suggestions for my configuration?

Thanks!

Mark

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mcwilson said:
I posted some of this in an earlier thread, but don't have a response yet. I am going to provide some detail, so please bear with me...

1 JAMO D8CEN (center)
1 JAMO D8SUB
4 JAMO D8SUR

Long story short...

Thanks!

Mark
If the switching to the 4 ohm suggested above doesn't work out for you, check amps that has a 4 ohm continuous rating. Who knows, you should find one maybe for less than Parasound?

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Try and get a pre-owned Aragon or Acurus power amps, multi or stereo. Their older generation stuff are said to be superior in many respects to some of the new stuff under new management. Owners of such gears and other high-end stuff are often on the lookout for new toys to play with, and dispose off their old stuff unscratched and in near-mint conditions. But at lower than half their original price tags. So there's a lot of value in them, especially with power amps that hardly ever get obsolete over time. DO a google search and there are many on the net for less than $1,000 for a stereo pair.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Look on eBay for Yamaha MX series amps which can handle loads all the way down to 1ohms. They are really musical, MOSFET amps and go well with your exisiting Yamaha receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamahaluver said:
Look on eBay for Yamaha MX series amps which can handle loads all the way down to 1ohms. They are really musical, MOSFET amps and go well with your exisiting Yamaha receiver.

That's a very good suggestion indeed :)

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have decided to move the Yammie to another room and power my HT with separates. I looked long and hard at McIntosh, but the price made my knees feel week. Decided to go with ATI AVP 7.1 for my pre and the 3007 for my amp. Any ideas on cables between my pre and amp?? What is balanced vs. unbalanced?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mcwilson said:
Any ideas on cables between my pre and amp?? What is balanced vs. unbalanced?

You certainly don't need expensive cables. Most any will do.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
mcwilson said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have decided to move the Yammie to another room and power my HT with separates. I looked long and hard at McIntosh, but the price made my knees feel week. Decided to go with ATI AVP 7.1 for my pre and the 3007 for my amp. Any ideas on cables between my pre and amp?? What is balanced vs. unbalanced?

Congrats on your your toys. Nothing beats separates.

It's been a looong while since I handled balanced interconnects. I'm not even sure if I need one. These are often used in professional studio gears and some high end products. It may be an industry standard, hence most of their gears only come with such receptacles. I think one argument in favor of these is as the name implies, you get a balanced signal. I can't entirely recall what that means, but if your gears have those receptacles, you can try them out to hear any difference. I think Radio Shack has such cables. try a google search of the term.

Oh BTW, those RCA cables are called unbalanced interconnects.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamahaluver said:
Do you have one of the MX amps?
I made it a personal choice from day one not to discuss my system, if I even have one :D
But I do have 2 boomboxes ;)

Maybe I stayed at Holiday Inn last night? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis