Philips SHL9500 Headphones

J

JackA

Enthusiast
I purchased them at a Target store, maybe $30 maximum. Unlike Bose, who seldom or never list any technical information, I always look at efficiency (how much power it takes to produce sound - dB/mW), when buying (inexpensive) gear. Long ago, I once had some Audio Technica headphones that sounded marvelous, but not costly. Compared them to my friend's Koss (over the ear) headphones and you could easily tell the Audio Technica's had greater efficiency. Anyway, these Philips headphones are most likely obsolete (no longer sold, but might find remnants), but from the many different headphones I've owned (even Sennheiser), they have lasted the longest and keep on ticking after 3 to 4 years. Sure, some headband plastic pieces busted, but nothing some Duct tape couldn't fix. I abuse them, I will admit. Frequency range seems fine, wearing comfort comes as they age. Once I purchased them, I went (internet) seeking what others wrote, and I quickly found another applauding them. Since then, I not only purchased a back-up pair, but also a pair for my friend.

While I'm on the topic of dB/mW (deciBels per milliWatt), a friend asked isn't it better to buy headphones that have a lesser impedance (the lower the better)? I didn't have an immediate answer, but I believe the industry standard is about 32 ohms impedance. Impedance matching is critical for maximum power transfer, but I always look for the greater dB/mW figure. It hasn't disappointed me yet, assuming the figure is true.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Buying speakers or headphones based on manufacturers provided specs is a hopeless exercise.
Efficiency and impedance could only tell you loud they could play with your source. It's sorta nice to know, but not critical in any way.

Some of the best headphones btw, have 145kOm as in KILO (or thousand) ohm impedance - does it mean they are not good? no - they just need a very special amp
https://www.staxusa.com/stax-sr-009.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis