Phantom of the Opera

R

RMK!

Most everyone likes this play and the Andrew Lloyd Webber music. I saw the play (in Seattle) and was not impressed. The wife loves POTO so I rented the DVD last night and I must say it is pretty good. The woman had tears in her eyes when the big pipe organ dug in (no metaphor here). The music on my HT was incredible. Now I get what everybody was excited about with this play. Hey, compromise a little and watch this with the wife, girl friend, or whatever. That will make up a little for your watching Saving Private Ryan or U 571 10 or 20 times. You'll get points, and it is tolerable if not enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Yes, this was a good one! The price was right ($15.00 US) for the 2 disc edition and I watched it yesterday. I did not really think that I'd view it for its entire duration (141 minutes) but I did and it was engaging; nice graphics, music, and sound (DD 5.1).

-GeorgeM

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I saw the Org. in Hollywood. Wow! Saw another last year and it was pretty good. The movie was good and it explains things abit more. Watching the movie and even with my SVS,the play in Hollywood,they were shaking the place with the organ.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Ok... someone else started a thread on this a number of weeks ago. Wife wanted to watch it this past weekend.

We've both seen at the Wang Theater in Boston. Both have listened to the theatrical soundtrack from the Opera....

This was horrible. Some of the sets were interesting. I couldn't stand voice that played the phantom. Perhaps it wasn't only his voice but his choice is phrasing the songs that pained me. In addition the actor that played the phantom was like very handsome (aside from his mask covering the right side of his face). This made it VERY difficult to feel compassion for him until much later in the movie.

The Musical score was far from impressive. I'd rather throw in some Bach organ music then watch that DVD again. There was perhaps only two places in the whole movie when I felt as if I was enveloped with music.

In comparrison, I followed this up by putting in Amadeus. Whenever music played, it would wrap itself around you. You can feel it. Warm, cold, etc.

It made Phantom's soundtrack look amaturish.

A final note: it was very nice to see some of the imagery on the sets within the opera house. Other then that, I'd rather hear a live pit ochestra, and a stronger voice on the Phantom.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Though I like Gerard Butler and wish him well, the vocals were more than a stretch for him. I liked the soundtrack much better than the live version I saw 10 years ago.

Amadeus is a great reminder.

I went out an rented Moulin Rouge, another musical with actors vs. vocalists. I was pleasantly surprised by Ewan McGregor. Not only some range, but he can do some tonal tricks.

R

RMK!

Thank you Roger Ebert

ducker said:
Ok... someone else started a thread on this a number of weeks ago. Wife wanted to watch it this past weekend.

We've both seen at the Wang Theater in Boston. Both have listened to the theatrical soundtrack from the Opera....

This was horrible. Some of the sets were interesting. I couldn't stand voice that played the phantom. Perhaps it wasn't only his voice but his choice is phrasing the songs that pained me. In addition the actor that played the phantom was like very handsome (aside from his mask covering the right side of his face). This made it VERY difficult to feel compassion for him until much later in the movie.

The Musical score was far from impressive. I'd rather throw in some Bach organ music then watch that DVD again. There was perhaps only two places in the whole movie when I felt as if I was enveloped with music.

In comparrison, I followed this up by putting in Amadeus. Whenever music played, it would wrap itself around you. You can feel it. Warm, cold, etc.

It made Phantom's soundtrack look amaturish.

A final note: it was very nice to see some of the imagery on the sets within the opera house. Other then that, I'd rather hear a live pit ochestra, and a stronger voice on the Phantom.
I find that during this "Honeymoon" phase with my new audio setup I am rediscovering music and watching a lot of DVD's just for the enjoyment of the new big and detailed sound. I could never imagine renting Pearl Harbor (the Teen Magazine version of WW2) but the damn battle scene almost made it worth it. There are many films that fall into this category and I suppose when the novelty wears off I will become a more discerning consumer once again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis