Personal Review of ONKYO 805

20Glove

Audioholic
This is my first review, any suggestion on how to make my future reviews better let me know.

Review of: Onkyo TX-SR805:
2/13/2008

Pro’s: UNDERPRICED (or priced right, which would make other receivers overpriced), Good Power, THX Certification, Easy set up, great packaging, and the build quality is AWESOME!

Con’s: Runs hot, taller and wider than most receivers in this price range, led display a little too small.

Indifferent: Remote

I wanted to give a review of the 7.1 channel 130x7 Onkyo TX-SR805 with Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master, and Thx ultra 2 certification.
First of all, the cons of this receiver are minor. Overall this is a GREAT receiver in my opinion. Let me begin by talking about the cons of this receiver. As most have said on here this machine runs hot and to me that is defined as too hot to touch after use. I can hold my hand about an inch from the top of this unit and feel the heat resonating from this machine. I have just ordered an AV cooler for this and I will see if this will help. I added running hot as a con due to the fact that this may affect long term use (both in one day and over the years).

My second con was that is is taller and wider than most receivers in its class and this could affect a person’s AV cabinet/stand. I put my Receiver on top of the AV stand so it is wide open with no confinement issues. But beware if you are replacing an old receiver and have height and width restrictions in your AV cabinet/stand.

The final con that I listed was that the LED screen is a tad too small. I have a hard time reading which speakers are being used on this machine. As opposed to the Denon AVR-3808 where they have icons for active speakers and speakers that are hooked into the system. On the Onkyo you have to get up and see which speakers are in use. Not a huge issue but could be annoying to some.

As for the issue that I am indifferent on is the remote. In my opinion the remote is a bit large but on the positive side the remote has backlit buttons. I have programmed all my components using this remote, which is also very nice. So as you can see some minor positives and negatives with the remote.

Now for the fun part the compliments of this system. First I want to say that I believe this unit is Priced just right, or underpriced. I believe with all the bells and whistles that this machine has you would be hard pressed to buy anything else that is 130 x 7, has the HD audio formats, and is THX ultra 2 certified. The only two differences my salesman had told me about between the Onkyo 805 and 875 is that the 875 is 140 x 7 and the HQV video processing. If there is more I apologize. But that is what my salesman shared with me. But for the $674 pricing that I got on this receiver I cannot complain, I can only be happy with this GREAT purchase.

I love the build quality of this beast. I think the volume knob and receiver buttons on the 805 are tight and not loose at all. It is a heavy machine and the salesman and several other posters on this site say they use quality internal products and no artificial weight is added to this machine. The door that hides some of the receiver button is also pretty heavy and consistent with the rest of the build quality on this machine. As far as the way this machine was packed, nothing will happen to this beast when shipped it is packed perfectly and tight in the box.

The sound quality on this machine is FANTASTIC. I believe in any movie mode, (HD Audio formats, THX, and normal ole Dolby Digital), the sound is clear and the bass is pushed pretty heavily on this beast. I really believe 6 of the 7 channels, in my opinion and how it sounds to my ear, are real even. I hooked up my speakers and used the Audessy set up and it sounds very even. The only channel I believe the Onkyo pushes a little bit more than the rest is the center channel. That is ok with me as I normally pump up the center channel anyway. I did not have to do that with this system. I checked the levels of all the speakers and they were all fairly even, (FL, FR, C, SL, SR, SBL, SBR) with the center actually set lower than the two fronts but it still appears to my ear that the Center is much louder than when I had it set up with Audessy on the Denon 3808. I thought the 3808 all 7 channels appeared to be even, after the Audessy speaker set up, and I of course upped the center channel volume on the 3808 but not with the 805.

The movies that I watched to test sound was Batman Begins HDDVD (Dolby TrueHD), Seabiscuit HDDVD (Dolby Digital +), and Pirates of the Carribean: At World’s End BluRay (Dolby TrueHD). In Batman, Dialogue was clear and concise and the action scenes were tight sounding and loud same with Pirates. The Pirates scene that I was extremely impressed with was the beginning fight scene when the british army invaded the pirate hangout in the swamp. In this you heard swords striking, guns being fired, clear dialogue, and bombs blasting. I felt like I was in the middle of the action. In Seabiscuit the sound was evenly matched and sounded great. You heard every hoof hitting the dirt, the wind hitting the riding shirts, and the dialogue was again very clear. With the 3808, I had to crank up the volume and adjust the center channel volume to hear the dialogue as clear as I did on the Onkyo 805.

As far as stereo music goes, the Denon 3808 took the cake on this one. The Onkyo performed very well but when comparing the two receivers the Onkyo was a little weaker with stereo performance. I did not hear as wide a sound stage on the Onkyo 805 as compared with the Denon 3808. When I listen to any CD on the Denon 3808 I really truly think that the center channel is on and working with FL and FR, but it is not, the sound is just that centered, clear, tight, and concise. But with the Onkyo that sound stage is not so center and wide. I truly do not think the center is being used when listening to CD’s on the 805. I will play with more options on this receiver to see if I can improve stereo sound. Trust me though it is still very good quality but when comparing I can tell the difference.

I listened to Kiss: Double Plantium, Guns N Roses: Use your Illusion II, Blue Man Group, Andrea Bocelli, Black Eyed Peas: Elephunk, and Charlie Daniels: Simple Man, all sounded good but not centered (not a true soundstage in my opinion). Blue man sounded the best with no singing but all instruments... these instruments were clear, loud, and tight. It just seems to me that vocals are not centered with the 805.

Listening to SACD’s and DVD-Audio, real good sound but again not as clear and concise as the Denon 3808. Both receivers are AWESOME at producing Deep Tight Bass and that is one reason I chose to go with these two receivers.

My opinion of the Onkyo TX-SR805 is in one word- - - AWESOME! I have it set up in my home theatre where I use it for 80% movies and this is where this receiver really excels- - - truly an amazing experience at home all for $674, I am impressed with the Onkyo quality and movie sound! I am happy with this purchase and would recommend this receiver to anyone! GREAT JOB ONKYO!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Not bad for a first time review! I liked the comparisons to the Denon. Seems the Onkyo really is a Home theater receiver first and a music receiver second.
Between the 805 and 875, the 875 does have one extra HDMI input for a total of four, but other than the items you mentioned(extra power and the HQV scaler) you've got it covered.

As far as power, Does it seem a lot more powerful than the Denon? Do you feel that it can drive your speakers to higher levels than the Onkyo with lower/equal levels of distortion? I know this is something better measured with instruments, but I'm only expecting your opinion.
Also, what kind of speakers are you using and what sources are you driving it with(I know you have an HD-DVD player, but I believe Pirates is only on Blu-Ray). It's always good to know what equipment works flawlessly with the receiver.

I do have one request other for you if it's not too much trouble. Does the Onkyo seem hot even when it's in off/standby? If you were to turn off the RIHD function does it stay a lot cooler when in off/standby mode and does this also translate to lower temperatures when it's running?

LikeABanshee

LikeABanshee

Audioholic Intern
Nice job.

One more diff between the 805 and 875 - the 875 has video out to the 2nd zone. Only composite, but video none the less.

20Glove

Audioholic
OK listened to same CD/SACD player w/ both machines

As far as power, Does it seem a lot more powerful than the Denon? Do you feel that it can drive your speakers to higher levels than the Onkyo with lower/equal levels of distortion? I know this is something better measured with instruments, but I'm only expecting your opinion.
Also, what kind of speakers are you using and what sources are you driving it with(I know you have an HD-DVD player, but I believe Pirates is only on Blu-Ray). It's always good to know what equipment works flawlessly with the receiver.

I do have one request other for you if it's not too much trouble. Does the Onkyo seem hot even when it's in off/standby? If you were to turn off the RIHD function does it stay a lot cooler when in off/standby mode and does this also translate to lower temperatures when it's running?
Ok, let me answer a couple of these questions...

The receiver is not HOT at all when in standby. Not at all.

I finally got around to taking the Denon out of the rack and listen to both of these systems. As far as the Onkyo versus the Denon... (same speakers, same DVD/SACD system, HDDVD player, same HDDVD movie, same 2 music CD's, same SACD, same 2 movies, same Ipod, and Audessy run on both).

First off the HDDVD comparison. I was using the HD-A35 and watched 300 with Dolby True HD sound. Both the Onkyo and Denon performed without a flaw. As I raised the volume as loud as I could stand, both systems did a GREAT job. No distortion. I had to lower the volume level on my sub when using both systems so it would not shake the pictures off my wall. Both systems did a wonderful job and made me feel apart of the battle scenes. Both did very well with dialogue only scenes as well, though I did turn up the volume on the Denon (-10 db) before I got the center where I wanted it as opposed to the Onkyo (-18db).

Next up SACD. Using a Yamaha DV-2500. Which will be used for my CD test as well as my DVD test. Again... awesome. Both systems did a GREAT job as I listened to this very loud again no distortion. I listened to the SACD Yellow Brick Road by E. John. Good quality sound from both systems though Denon did sound more clear, not by much but for some reason I could hear a difference.

Ok, CD test and Ipod test. Stereo sound produced more of a difference. The CD's that I listened too were Guns N Roses: Use your Illusion 1 and listened to the Coma and Live and Let Die track and Five for Fighting and listened to the 100 years track. There was a difference. The Onkyo sounded louder but a little more distorted than the Denon. The Denon appeared not to lose anything as I raised the volume, clear, concise, and very tight (actually thought the sound got better as it got louder). The Onkyo did not cause any static sounds on my speakers but appeared to lose a little detail as I raised the volume as loud as I could, losing the vocals, and the background instruments, almost a cluttered sound, but remember this was at really high levels, I think I got as high, b4 sounding cluttered and distorted about +2 db (does not show positive sign but - sign goes away on the led). Same thing on the Ipod test.

Again, when listening to Stereo, on CD and Ipod... my earlier thought stays the same... I heard a wider and more centered sound stage on the Denon than I do I the Onkyo. It also feels the subwoofer is pushed a little more on the Denon as well. But not sure the levels that Audessy set for the subwoofer on either machine as I did not look, sorry about that.

Now to DVD. Again both monsters sounded fantastic. I watched Twister and both systems really sounded GREAT! Amazing to be truthful. I cannot wait for Twister on HD DVD or Blu Ray. HD DVD is suppose to be released on may 5. Wondering with the Death of HD DVD if this will still happen but if it does Dolby True HD soundtrack. Cannot wait!!! But as Twister played the house rumbled... the room rattled... it was cool to say the least. On this movie... the Onkyo appeared to make the house rock a little more as I raised the volume as high as I could take it... but the Denon appeared to have the tornados go seamlessly from speaker to speaker but did hear some transition from speaker to speaker with the Onkyo like one speaker was outputting and then bam another speaker started as the other stopped... The Denon made it appear that that there was no transition if you understand what I am saying. The second movie was Armageddon Criterion Collection. Again awesome... Both systems sounded EXCELLENT! The beeping sounds in the NASA war room and on the spaceships like Freedom sounded so clear and both systems did a GREAT job from quite to loud scenes like right before the astroids hit the space station in the beginning... just GREAT. This movie the dialogue on both machines seemed a little quite and weak. So I tack that up to the movie soundtrack... but as far as the action and just those little sounds AWESOME!!

The speakers used here were Sapphire ST3 Towers for Front L and Front R, matching Sapphire Center, matching Sapphire Dipoles as my sides (all these speakers are same Watts and same frequencies), and a Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer.

So I hope this helps! Let me know if you would like to know any other thoughts and again want to emphasize these are just my thoughts... someone else that listens may hear something different!!

Thanks!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Gread update! I think short of instrumented testing you've pretty much covered all the bases.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis