Perlisten R7t Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

X

xrqp

Enthusiast
+1 this. There is no way the Focals have greater dynamic range than the Perlistens. I have to wonder if the amp isn't clipping?
My amp was Parasound JC2 feeding to JC5 (600w for 4 ohm). Are you familiar with the Focal 1027be? Is it possible the Focals just attenuate the frequencies they can not handle, vs playing them loud w distortion? I have often wondered if speakers do that, and maybe you can comment.
From the R7T's I guess the distortion I hear is probably under 100 hz. There is a lot of music under 100hz.

Your tip about nearfield listening is a good one. It's nice in nearfield.

X

xrqp

Enthusiast
If you want more loudness and bass, you don't need a home stereo, you need a PA system.
I had written I will add bass management and subs, and your reply is I need a PA system. I guess we disagree.

X

xrqp

Enthusiast
your 'limit' was your hearing pain ? Brilliant kid............ :rolleyes:
The amp and Focal speakers could go so loud it hurt. I only did it for a second to check how load it could go without much distortion. I have to guess what you meant, but I think you meant I am stupid to listen at pain levels for more than 1 second. But I do not do that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My amp was Parasound JC2 feeding to JC5 (600w for 4 ohm). Are you familiar with the Focal 1027be? Is it possible the Focals just attenuate the frequencies they can not handle, vs playing them loud w distortion? I have often wondered if speakers do that, and maybe you can comment.
From the R7T's I guess the distortion I hear is probably under 100 hz. There is a lot of music under 100hz.

Your tip about nearfield listening is a good one. It's nice in nearfield.
While I have a lot of experience with Focal products, I don't recall listening to the 1027be. However, when speakers are pushed hard, they mostly just run into distortion. They will attenuate when they have been continuously pushed so that they heat up and are running into thermal compression, but that wouldn't happen at brief moments of high drive levels. The Perlsiten speakers almost certainly have way more thermal capacity as well as dynamic range from distortion than the 1027be speakers. However, one condition that the Perlisten may produce more distortion is deep bass boost. If you are EQing the speakers for a boost in deep bass, the way that the 1027be speakers are tuned might make them less prone to over-driving than the Perlisten speakers, or at least less obvious over-driving.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I have to guess what you meant, but I think you meant I am stupid to listen at pain levels for more than 1 second. But I do not do that.
The fact that you listen any length of time so as to induce pain, comprehend it, is not good. Be it one second or one minute !

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I had written I will add bass management and subs, and your reply is I need a PA system. I guess we disagree.
You want massive output. That's not the usual requirement for consumer goods and it's not something consumer audio equipment is typically capable of, although you're not using your system in an extremely large room.

You also wrote "When I play my current system loud, sometimes the highs get harsh, and I am guessing it is from ceiling reflections, so I am very interested in this subject."- it's possible to exceed the 'good sound' limits of the room- the sound reflects from the various surfaces and objects at all times, but when the SPL is low, the reflected sound isn't always audible or, at least, it's not noticed. Once the SPL reaches a high level, the reflected sound is easily heard and when it arrives later than the direct sound (this is unavoidable), cancellation in the form of comb filtering occurs and this can cause the harshness you noticed.

The specification known as RT60 describes the time needed for the reverberations to decrease by 60dB and in a reflective room, it can exceed 5 seconds. It's bad for speech intelligibility, but it's terrible for listening to music at more than low level.

While all amplifiers distort, I don't know that yours was doing this. It would be helpful if it were possible to know it wasn't distorting, I suspect the room's reflections were causing this, especially the ceiling as you wrote, since that's not usually treated. Humans are more sensitive to most frequencies equally at high SPL, but the low frequencies will be less apparent when the SPL is high unless reflections are reduced. I noticed that the recommended amplifier power for the Focal speakers is 40-300W and your Parasound is rated at 600W- how far did you rotate the volume control?

Also, with sensitivity of 91dB/W/meter, the SPL in that room would have been close to 128dB. The Osha Noise Exposure guidelines indicate that at 120dB, the allowable exposure should be about seven seconds.

Last edited:
X

xrqp

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone, for your replies. I think when I get subs and bass management, the R7Ts will be loud enough for when I want it loud. Sadly I cannot give numbers to quantify my comments. I will try to share my findings, and maybe REW graphs, here when I get setup right. But it may be a long time if I wait for Dirac Bass Control to be my bass management.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again James and Audioholics for the great reviews! Question I have is regarding 2 channel audio. I heard some Martin Login Impression ESL 11As and loved them. But I am interested later in also incorporating subs, surrounds, and height channels and am wondering if you could give a general comparison between the R7ts and the ML ESLs. I know I know, completely different but with your eyes closed, how much compromise is there between that holographic effect of the ESL and the R7t? I just want to be able to come home, hit play or turn on the TV and sink into my favorite music/YouTube channel without feeling FOMO with either one.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks again James and Audioholics for the great reviews! Question I have is regarding 2 channel audio. I heard some Martin Login Impression ESL 11As and loved them. But I am interested later in also incorporating subs, surrounds, and height channels and am wondering if you could give a general comparison between the R7ts and the ML ESLs. I know I know, completely different but with your eyes closed, how much compromise is there between that holographic effect of the ESL and the R7t? I just want to be able to come home, hit play or turn on the TV and sink into my favorite music/YouTube channel without feeling FOMO with either one.
I doubt that anyone has done a close comparison to answer your question with certainty, but I can speculate. I think one of the things you enjoyed about the ML speaker's soundstage was due to the dipole dispersion pattern. It will have a lot more late reflections than a conventional speaker. That can make it sound very spacious but at the cost of precise imaging. The ML speakers will probably be a bit more challenging to set up, since its rear acoustic radiation is out of phase with the front radiation. Definitely do not place them too close to a back wall. The Perlisten speakers are very easy to setup, since the acoustic radiation is so tightly controlled. I would go for the Perlistens since they are sure to be more tonally balanced, but I can understand those who have a preference for the expansive soundstage of different polar patterns.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
I doubt that anyone has done a close comparison to answer your question with certainty, but I can speculate. I think one of the things you enjoyed about the ML speaker's soundstage was due to the dipole dispersion pattern. It will have a lot more late reflections than a conventional speaker. That can make it sound very spacious but at the cost of precise imaging. The ML speakers will probably be a bit more challenging to set up, since its rear acoustic radiation is out of phase with the front radiation. Definitely do not place them too close to a back wall. The Perlisten speakers are very easy to setup, since the acoustic radiation is so tightly controlled. I would go for the Perlistens since they are sure to be more tonally balanced, but I can understand those who have a preference for the expansive soundstage of different polar patterns.
Thanks James! Again great review and I think the decision is going to be Perlisten. Just gives so much more flexibility for placement and expansion. The ML were in a large room out in the open with a typical Herman Miller Eames chair right in the center. Win for the showroom folks! I was surprised by the low end and extension of the R7t. A speaker that I personally could live with and forgo a sub. And now they come in white! Keep up the great work and thanks again for your time! Cheers!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Having lived and loved di-poles for many years, if one has the space and the patience, you're right, they can be marvelous !

X

xrqp

Enthusiast
I was wrong. I got a new Buckeye amp NCX 500 And now the R7T’s can play extremely loud with no distortion. My apologies to everyone for having put out incorrect information. I think there was something wrong with my previous amp. It may have been damaged.
Not only can they play extremely loud, but the sound quality is fantastic. With this new amp, I have not been using any subs yet and I still get amazing bass. When I get Dirac set up on my HTPC I will add subs.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis