Perfect Vision RG6 for a/v?

R

Rtstrider

Junior Audioholic
Would it be a good idea to use perfect vision rg6 for my a/v cables? I'm new at this so...I want to put rca connectors on the ends of it....And would like to know all the pros/cons of it....

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Should be just fine. If you plan on using it for video, it should be a 75-ohm spec cable. If it is (which it should be), then you'll be golden.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
RG-6 is a multi-purpose cable It can be used for all video and audio interconnects including long subwoofer interconnects. Building your own cables can be rewarding and cost effective, but you must have the proper tools and know how to do so. Termination is the most important aspect of building the cable. If you get this wrong you can change the impedance values of the cable.

Use good quality connectors and cable and take your time building them you will learn allot in the process. Typically I use RG-6 quad shield for component video runs and subwoofer interconnects.
Have Fun
Ray

D

DTRUTH

Junior Audioholic
RLA said:
RG-6 is a multi-purpose cable It can be used for all video and audio interconnects including long subwoofer interconnects. Building your own cables can be rewarding and cost effective, but you must have the proper tools and know how to do so. Termination is the most important aspect of building the cable. If you get this wrong you can change the impedance values of the cable.

Use good quality connectors and cable and take your time building them you will learn allot in the process. Typically I use RG-6 quad shield for component video runs and subwoofer interconnects.
Have Fun
Ray
Do you know if the Belden 1694A (RG6) cable is quad sheilded? You also mention having the necessary tools. If I were to use Canare RCAPs with the 1694A, do I need the Canare crimp tool, separate die set and the Canare stripper?

Tool

Die Set

Stripper

Thanks,
DTruth

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Unless you live next to a transmission tower, you really don't need quad shield. 1694A is not quad. It's dual shield, foil and braid but is a great all purpose cable.

I'd agree about the RG6 being great all purpose - just make sure you get the right stuff. Not all RG6 is created equal. RG6 is basically a size or gage. You don't want tinned copper necessarily, you definitely don't want copper clad steel. Some of it has questionable shielding. Etc.

Belden, Canare, and GEPCO all make quality RG6 that would work for pretty much anything.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis