people who have bonfires on hot summer evenings

S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
i mean WHY?? do they do it just to p*ss the neighbourhood off or what?
on hot summer evenings people like to be able to open their windows to let some cooler, fresher air into their rooms.

now we can't and have to suffer because some prick has, in their infinite wisdom, decided to have a bonfire in the middle of the back f##king garden.

wankers.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
It seems that with some creativity one could cause it to rain in a neighbors yard. Here in the US we all have hoses and sprinklers in our back yards. :cool:

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
One reason, I live in the mountains, isolated and happy.

S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
Yamahaluver said:
I'm jealous now.
fresh, misty mornings with beautiful sunrises and sunsets
and nice cool, clear air.
:(

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Yamahaluver said:

Which mountains. I live near the Blue ridge in VA, but they're just zits compared to the Rockies.

Hey,ask anyone what the highest point east of the Mississippi is, and I bet nineteen out of twenty will say Mt. Washington. Hint, it's in Tarheel/Volunteer country.

Another good one is:

Where is the highest lift served sking east of the Mississippi? Hint - same answer as above.

Last edited:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Spenny,
You are welcome to come visit me anytime.

Mudcat,

I live in Himachal Pradesh, India and my mountain range is on the foothills of the great Himalayas. It is still unspoilt but I dont know for how long. Sure beats my 17 years spent in the world's largest garbage dump, Staten Island, N.Y.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Yamahaluver said:
I live in Himachal Pradesh, India and my mountain range is on the foothills of the great Himalayas. It is still unspoilt but I dont know for how long. Sure beats my 17 years spent in the world's largest garbage dump, Staten Island, N.Y.
Well Damm, I'm very familar with both places. I drive through Staten Island a lot on the way to my inlaws (man that place stinks especially along 440). And back in 88, and again in 94 I spent a lot of time in Simja while doing some climbing in India, Nepal, and Pakistan. Nanga Parbet, Nanda Devi, Kame, and Dhaulagiri are just a few of the named peaks I did.

What do you do in India.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
I-440 used to be a nightmare for me when I used to ride my bike through it, sadly in SI, it was the only place where you could check out your bike's performance.

Next time you are in India, please stay at my house, if you like to do trails, I have a 4WD and go trailing quite often and know some nice trails. I am teaching math at the local univ.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Sadly it will be a while before I can even think about getting back there. My climbing days are over (kids can do that). But I still like the food, the street vendors use to sell cucumbers stuffed with hot peppers that I loved.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
How could you survive those cucumbers? You have to be on some heavy antibiotic for your stomach to live from those bacteria traps sold on the streets.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Monel stomach (better than cast iron or stainless steel). No technicolor burps, trots or skid marks either. TMI?

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Where do you get that? I want one, seems I lost all my resistance after spendign 17 years in the US.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Yamahaluver said:
Where do you get that? I want one, seems I lost all my resistance after spendign 17 years in the US.
We're such wusses in this country about germs. I think we should ban antibacterial soap and encourage our kids to go outside, get dirty and make mudpies and not discourage any dirt ingestion for the first 10 years of their lives!

Such a childhood is probably why I've eaten in Balinese warungs and Mexican loncherias on vacation and never been the worse for wear. I still fondly remember the great satay dinner that cost me maybe $1.50, sitting on a bench with bemused and friendly locals...the tasty poc chuc on a side street in Merida where an old guy told me where to get my Panama hat cleaned and blocked...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Mudcat said:
Sadly it will be a while before I can even think about getting back there. My climbing days are over (kids can do that). But I still like the food, the street vendors use to sell cucumbers stuffed with hot peppers that I loved.
Please elaborate on these stuffed cucumbers. SPecifically what kinds of hot peppers? ANy other ingredients? Preperation? Maybe a link to a recipe?

Do either of these two match up to the cucumbers you had?

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Market/7773/cucumbers.html

or

http://sfood.info/cuisine/koreafood/k_97.htm

Sounds like somethiong I want to try.

-Chris

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Rip Van Woofer said:
We're such wusses in this country about germs. I think we should ban antibacterial soap and encourage our kids to go outside, get dirty and make mudpies and not discourage any dirt ingestion for the first 10 years of their lives!
This part makes sence.
Rip Van Woofer said:
Such a childhood is probably why I've eaten in Balinese warungs and Mexican loncherias on vacation and never been the worse for wear. I still fondly remember the great satay dinner that cost me maybe $1.50, sitting on a bench with bemused and friendly locals...the tasty poc chuc on a side street in Merida where an old guy told me where to get my Panama hat cleaned and blocked...

But this part make absolutly none.

Paul

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Just an old guy's mind wandering... :D

Semi-serious point was that maybe thanks to a happily dirty childhood I'd been able to eat at some places the average American would find exceedingly chancy in my travels and came out OK. And enjoyed some good food and local color to boot.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Everybody knows that people should get all their broken-bones out of the way while you're still young, and things knit quickly. I also recommend all-steel monkeybars so that children will learn to respect tooth-chipping amusements while they're still with their baby teeth.

And I believe that many scientists agree on the no-antibacterial soap. It seems there are becoming an increasingly large percentage of super-germs that are resilient to normal means of extermination.

And while we're on the subject, I try to keep my antibodies exercised regularly.... why? So if I ever go vacation there, I can enjoy the Korean dish..Live octopus. :D

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
WmAx said:
Please elaborate on these stuffed cucumbers. SPecifically what kinds of hot peppers? ANy other ingredients? Preperation? Maybe a link to a recipe?

Do either of these two match up to the cucumbers you had?
And I suppose Mtrycraft will ask if I my eating experience was done under ADX or DBX conditions. I do not know what was in them other than cucumber and peppers that were not nearly as hot as Habaneros or Scotch Bonnets. There was some oil, whether it was canola, peanut, or motor, I do not know.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
What was this thread about originally? Oh, yeah, bonfires on summer evenings. Hey, I know, let's all go to Spenny's place and roast some Indian pepper-stuffed cukes on an open fire!

Actually, they are a PITA (the fires, not the cukes, though that might apply there too...). Seems to be a growing fashion and our neighbors enjoy it meaning we get an unwelcome dose of woodsmoke thru our windows now and then too.

But, as audiophiles, we should know that this the kind of situation highly directional horn-loaded speakers were made for: point them at the offenders, turn up the volume and make their ears bleed!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis