Peak Oil, A Crude Awakening

jinjuku

jinjuku

On the heels of Al Gore/Global Warming/War in Iraq/Growing population and economies of India/China an interesting Documentary-Docudrama called 'A Crude Awakening' was available on NetFlix Watch Now.

So I did. I also did some reading up on the Hubbert peak theory. Sobering to say the least.

An interesting tidbit: 23,200 man hours of physical labor is equal to the amount of energy in one barrel of oil.

Last edited:
E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
Its sad that people are just now hearing about the peaking of oil. Gas prices will keep going up and up, and now its too late to do anything about it. The simple fact is we need to change how we live our lifestyle asap. We need to stop relying on cheap imports and labor in china. People need to relise that walmart is horrible for the economy. We also need to be more efficient in how we use our oil, such as not buying late model 5.6 liter V8 SUV's. Or how about not having to use gasoline at all? Mabey we could do that if the car companies actually offered an alternative fuel such as electricity. Seriously, I think its too late. Now we wont have enough oil to rebuild things more efficiently. The last generation has put the next generation in a deep hole that im afraid we cant get out of.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The U.S will always have Canada for oil and I am sure when they do tap this the U.S will get it very cheap. Canada has a ton of oil in the Alberta oil sands. It will be interesting what comes about this in the future. If the united states becomes a 3rd world nation so will Canada.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
Canada isnt gonna let us have all the oil to ourselfs (let alone the rest of the world) and leave them with nothing. And its not like their never gonna peak. The simple fact is we need to dramatically slow down the rate at which we use oil, cause its not like we have oceans of it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well sell it to the highest bidder. Canadians don't use much, or any of that oil.

SheepStar

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah but if the United States says we want your oil, lock stock and barrell, we have no choice but to give it to them. If they want to take it we cant really stop them now can we (Hypothetically). The Canadian economy depends too much on the American economy, if we have a ton of oil, I cannot see us stiffing the united states in the future especially if their economy is in deep recession because that trickles down to us.

jinjuku

jinjuku

One of the major points is the availability of light sweet crude. That is oil relatively easy to extract from the ground at about a $1 per barrel. Tar sand and shale is a much more energy intensive and therefore costly method to derive oil from.

The days of $4/gallon gas in the USA is just getting started.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
That is oil relatively easy to extract from the ground at about a $1 per barrel. Tar sand and shale is a much more energy intensive and therefore costly method to derive oil from.

Very good point!!! Increases in technology will be key, one reason they have not depleted this yet is because of the massive costs to extract it. Not profitable enough yet. This is why the united states feels still the need to depend on foreign oil supply's. If the technology was there, the American government would be extracting oil in Canada as we speak.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Actually. we get more of our oil from Canada than anywhere else. The Saudis only supply a smaller percentage.

I really hope a feasible alternative to petroleum is developed soon. Our energy needs aren't getting any smaller. And like land, they aren't making any more petroleum.

Jim

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
Actually. we get more of our oil from Canada than anywhere else. The Saudis only supply a smaller percentage.

I really hope a feasible alternative to petroleum is developed soon. Our energy needs aren't getting any smaller. And like land, they aren't making any more petroleum.

Jim
Exactly. We need to take what oil we have left while its still somewhat cheap and use it to build things that dont depend on a constant supply of oil, such as electric cars, permiculture housing, organic farming, etc...

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I first heard about peak oil a few years ago - sobering to say the least even when all the extremist views are taken with a large bag of salt. Unfortunately even though it would be nice to write this off as just another nutjob conspiracy/doomsday scenario it's backed by hard logic, facts and a host of legitimate research.

http://www.peakoil.com/

Basically, enjoy life today dudes, for tomorrow we're in deep $hit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis