PC Sound Card to Reciever??

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
:confused:

How do I hook up my sound card through my reciever to hear sound on my HT set-up??

Here is a blurb about my motherboard with onboard sound:

High Definition Audio
The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions and multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends different audio streams to different destinations. You can now talk to your partners on the headphone while playing a multi-channel network games. All of these are done on one computer. The Dolby Digital Live technology from Dolby Lab encodes the multi-channel audio source into AC-3 bit-stream and outputs it to S/PDIF port in real time.

This is an ASUS motherboard "P5AD2 Deluxe" - I have a Marantz reciever.

Has anyone tried this and been sucessfull? Will I hear true multi-channel sound?? Do I need to "upgrade" to a soundblaster type card to get this to work, if so which one??

I'm very anxious to play games on my HT !! :) Thanks for any input..

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you should have an RCA jack on the back of your motherboard for S/Pdif output. Try using any decent 75 Ohm coax cable with RCA terminations to connect this output on your sound card to your reciever. You may have to play with output settings on the sound control, but it should work just fine. Heck, the description seems to indicate the support of multi-channel output:

P5AD2Dx said:
The Dolby Digital Live technology from Dolby Lab encodes the multi-channel audio source into AC-3 bit-stream and outputs it to S/PDIF port in real time.

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
Much appreciated jaxvon..

Now do I go to the local store and ask the clerk for a "decent 75 Ohm coax cable with RCA terminations" or is there a brand and/or model of this exact cable someone could "link" me to??

Again, thanks for all the help :)

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
coaxial S/PDIF is probably the best option

According to the Asus website you have the option of using either optical or coaxial for your digital output to your receiver. If the run is rather short you could use a toslink (optical) which has the added benefit of not being effected by RF interference. However the run is more than a few meters it would probably be best to go with a coaxial connection. However if you go to Best Buy or Circuit City and ask “for a "decent 75 Ohm coax cable with RCA terminations" they will probably have no idea what you are talking about or will point to something made by monster. There is nothing really wrong with monster products other than their price. BB also carries AR stuff that will work just fine. Below are some links for what you are looking for:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=55&ObjectGroup_ID=599&sm=0&so=0

http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/digital_audio_cables.htm

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/single/digitalaudio.htm

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, it might even be the same thing. In fact, if you have a well-made video cable, then it will work fine for digital coax (because it also has a 75 Ohm characteristic impedance). If you DO have an optical output on your motherboard, your reciever has an optical input, and your computer is close to your reciever, then I'd go for the optical option. Impact Acoustics has a good deal on TOSlink cables (discount to Audioholics readers). Also, they have good prices on 75 Ohm cables that work well for digital coax as well. I'd give them a try if you feel like ordering.

For other brands, Radio Shack Gold is fine, as are Philips and Acoustic Research. You can find these brands at your local retail stores. Just don't get caught up in the Monster hype...it's a ripoff.

Also, about the suggestion for Cobalt Cable. They make quality stuff, but unless you care that much about looks, you can get the exact same thing from Blue Jeans Cable for a lot less money.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Burning Money

jaxvon said:
Also, about the suggestion for Cobalt Cable. They make quality stuff, but unless you care that much about looks, you can get the exact same thing from Blue Jeans Cable for a lot less money.
Sorry to thread jack, but that is the exact reason why I have the cobalt cables as opposed to the blue jeans...and that's really the only reason.

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone for your help.

I've now confirmed my motherboard has both optical and coax outs, as well as my Marantz has both types as well. I guess all I need to do is go buy that digital cable, plug in, fire up the 52" HDTV, turn the lights off and try this thing out!!

On a side note, I just got DOOM3 to try out, I heard this game has won awards for sound. This should be fun!!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Just make sure that your computer can handle Doom 3. It's no fun to play if your computer lags. But, if it can handle it, then turn off the lights and crank it up, it's a SCARY game (though it does tend to get old after awhile). As a note, I'm pretty sure your soundcard will only output 5.1 if it is decoding a surround signal, otherwise you'll just get 2ch (like if you're playing MP3s).

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
Well I must say "This is how gaming should be!!!"
I've had some good PC 5.1 speakers before, but no PC speaker system comes close to a 5.1 Marantz/Paradigm set-up!! :cool:

Thanks for everyone's help!

R

raccah

Audiophyte
Always Dolby Sound

Hello,

If I buy a mother board with the Intel High Definition Audio (HD Audio), will it up convert all audio to Dolby 5.1 sound? I have an HTPC (with an older board). I was thinking about upgrading to a new board with this HD Audio.

But what I want is the ability to watch and listen to non-Dolby 5.1 encoded TV shows and DVDs - but have the board push it out in Dolby 5.1

My receiver (which I hook up to with my board's optical output) currently does not show the "Dolby" word on the information screen unless I am watching a show that was broadcast with Dolby already.

So again, if I record a non-Dolby show - but I have a board with the HD Audio chip - will it play the show in Dolby and will my receiver display the Dolby word on the information screen for this show?

Thanks,
David

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis