M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
If I don't really care about amps/active subs, can ya'll point me in direction of some good/great passive subwoofers on the market (with enclosure)..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think a whole lot of manufacturers, even the ID ones, are making many passive subs these days.

These guys offer a few and I believe can also do custom: Funky Waves

SVS offers one package with dual passive cylinders, but it also includes an external DSP amp.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The Velodyne subcontractor series is/was a passive sealed line with 10, 12, & 15" driver models. I don't think they would be in the league of the others mentioned in performance, but I think price was a little better, not that they were a value.

It appears that they are gone from their website so perhaps out of production.

Here's an example from Vann's. Note only 1 left in stock.
Velodyne SC-12 SubContractor Series Subwoofer | Vanns.com

M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
I came across the Funk in my research.

Got some Mini Dancers 2 waiting to be delivered in the rec room.
2 channel only.

At those current prices, I might as well go pickup that Fanthom I know is being sold...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The Funks will be much more capable than the JL, but the Fathom is a great sub too.

M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
I haven't heard the Hsu or Rhtymiks, but my buddy has a SVS which is quite the HT sub. For my main room, I have a set of dual F112's and love them musically.

There is a 113 going for a little shy less than normal used pricing . I considered it but wanted to switch things up a bit going passive with my own power. At the prices I've seen and not ever hearing them, maybe it's best to stick with stuff I *know*....

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
I haven't heard the Hsu or Rhtymiks, but my buddy has a SVS which is quite the HT sub. For my main room, I have a set of dual F112's and love them musically.

There is a 113 going for a little shy less than normal used pricing . I considered it but wanted to switch things up a bit going passive with my own power. At the prices I've seen and not ever hearing them, maybe it's best to stick with stuff I *know*....
Outside of the options noted above, unfortunately there aren't many passive offerings in the market place.

If you want something that has the "fit and finish" of the JL, IMO that removes the CHT and JTR's from the mix and you're left with Funk Audio (which is obviously a great choice - but it looks like you were looking to spend something closer to a used JL F113 offering).

What is your budget, room size, listening habits (e.g., 80% HT and like to listen at close to reference ... meaning LOUD as hell ... levels), etc. Do you have "dimension" restraints on the size of the subwoofer, etc.

The F113 is a fantastic small subwoofer. But there are likely many options that rival or beat the F113, most of which will be much larger, or dual subwoofer options that may still come in less or "around" the used price of a F113 which is probably somewhere in the $2k range?

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
The Funks will be much more capable than the JL, but the Fathom is a great sub too.
We also have four new, less expensive subwoofers coming out right now, web pages should be up within next couple weeks. They wont be listed as available passive but on a special order basis any of our products can be built passive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have dual Funk 18.0 unpowered subs and I absolutely love them.

Amazing subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I don't really care about amps/active subs, can ya'll point me in direction of some good/great passive subwoofers on the market (with enclosure)..
I'm with you on this. If I could go back in time, I would never even buy my Rythmik subs. Unpowered subs for me too.

All my subs are unpowered, except the dual Rythmik.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Funk Audio already posted an ad, but I say give them a chance. You won't be disappointed.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Funk Audio already posted an ad, but I say give them a chance. You won't be disappointed.
I've tried and pimped his work whenever the situation asked...having that AD at the top of the Audioholics site is nice to see the fruits of this work finally unfolding & taking shape....:cool:

M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
For all you FUNK owners, how is the fit and finish.

I don't have the link, but there was a review from a new Funk owner, and the finish on the Veneer seemed amateur at best (relative to the pricepoint). When one spends ie: 2K for a sub, the finish that was posted if not defect in the veneer should have never pass QA or even shipped...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For all you FUNK owners, how is the fit and finish.

I don't have the link, but there was a review from a new Funk owner, and the finish on the Veneer seemed amateur at best (relative to the pricepoint). When one spends ie: 2K for a sub, the finish that was posted if not defect in the veneer should have never pass QA or even shipped...
My Funk 18.0 fit and finish is exceptional. You can check out the pics I took on photobucket in my signature.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't see any subpar quality there. A small error around one of the grill holes, but was fixed and the veneer was discounted pretty heavily. Looks pretty darn good to me. If you look at the pictures of the front of the subwoofer you can barely see it. The closeup must be from like an inch away to make it look that severe.

Other than that, small imperfections inherent in any natural material and veneer lines that you generally see when don't use hardwood trim pieces for the edges.

M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
Indeed it is.

I have a cabinetmaker I trust dearly.
Everything I ask - I never have to second quess on the finish. Veneer grades, stain, oil vs. lacquer, high polished white lacquer, you name it, build and finish are top notch. An inch away or not, there should never be a reveal between 2 pieces. If it was $200, I might have accepted that. But not at 2K...

When I see pics like those, it's hard to consider them even with positive reviews. How does a product go out the door with quality like that is hard to scuff at....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Did you read the part where the guy got a ~$300+ discount because of the imperfection and because the veneer had those little knots in it? I'd call that fair trade plus the guy got whatever it was to touch the spot up.

I'd hardly say that's sending a product out with poor quality. Look again, that spot looks to be barely a quarter inch big, if that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis