Passive Subwoofer AMP

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
My guess is that the wall plate is just a standard 7.1 style audio plate that you buy online. Only, there is no subwoofer wire which was run and there was no center channel which was run, or they did wire the system as a 6.0 system. Either way, when that wall plate is removed from the wall, there will be NO wire connected to the subwoofer connection because the wall plate was 'standard', and came with it. It's likely NOT connected to anything.

If it is connected to something, then it would be to another RCA wall plate located elsewhere in the room. Easy enough to look for another RCA jack on a wall in the room. Equally easy to pull that plate off the wall and see if a wire is actually connected to the back of it.

Oh yeah: POST PICTURES!!!
I’ll get pictures but no wall plate. Just a simple holed out wall plate with wires coming out. That makes me think aftermarket.

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
Yeah I didn’t know houses were built with in wall speakers , is it a luxury home ?
it is in a luxury home neighborhood. I’m in an enclave of Pheonix they all Desert Ridge. Its Scottsdale quality homes. While my place is just 1,500 sq ft with no realbackyard, it costs about $375,000. However my HoA includes homes that go up over $2,000,000 and they are very luxury. The cool part is Pulte built them all and they used the same materials as siding and for interior design. It’s just some are very big and others are more manageable. I think pheonix requires some more affordable homes when they do master plan communities. There’s only about 100 of these units in a 5 square mile development. It is the most desirable school district in Phoenix and Scottsdale. But then again we are charter here with many rich private schools. Sucks being working class here sometimes. Tho nice views

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
Are these custom built homes or something anyway you could get more info on these in ceiling speakers ? You are aware they do make in wall subs . Though I’ve never heard any before to tell you I’d there worth it . Might be cheaper to buy a Quality subwoofer like svs or other brands people like .
Get us some pictures try and figure out brands or model numbers . Too see how or what quality tier , you own and how low they can go.
I think I’d prob just be better off with a stand alone sub too. I just think this is a fun little mystery

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
Okay. It’s a Coax Cable with an adapter on it. I have pictures too! Without moving all my stuff out. Give me a few to post. They are too large too attach.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry for delay in responses! Thanks to everyone that replied. New baby so haven’t had much time to respond.

have not got to pictures yet because new baby and I need to disconnect my receiver in the console which hurts back so bad! So I was waiting till I get enough time to extend the wires as well.

so there is no special wall plate. It’s just a hole plate opening into the bay. The speakers wires just come out bare. That’s what makes me think it goes somewhere.

the way the room is designed, it’s all open concept. There is no good place to hide a center or sub. I still need to try picking up a passive amp and seeing what happens.

it’s not a custom home: it’s just most of the new homes here in Scottsdale are built with the speakers mounts pre wired. My neighbors house doesn’t have the base. Just about six J boxes in the ceiling in the exact location of my speakers. It was either an upgrade offered by Pulte, or they put the J box up there with line wire and someone just used the line to fish the speaker wire. I went in attic tho and cannot find where they went through the top plate, nor do I see an easy way into the grand rooms attic. It’s 20 feet vaulted ceiling at that location.
If you have space limits I suggest you get multiple small subs to one monster one.
You do not have to crank up the bass either , just it’s nice to-have extra headroom.
Why don’t you research info and models good for in wall installation . If you want that type of sub . Or infinity baffle under your room .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
it is in a luxury home neighborhood. I’m in an enclave of Pheonix they all Desert Ridge. Its Scottsdale quality homes. While my place is just 1,500 sq ft with no realbackyard, it costs about $375,000. However my HoA includes homes that go up over $2,000,000 and they are very luxury. The cool part is Pulte built them all and they used the same materials as siding and for interior design. It’s just some are very big and others are more manageable. I think pheonix requires some more affordable homes when they do master plan communities. There’s only about 100 of these units in a 5 square mile development. It is the most desirable school district in Phoenix and Scottsdale. But then again we are charter here with many rich private schools. Sucks being working class here sometimes. Tho nice views
My area in Ohio Is crumbling most jobs are outsourced by temp agencies or move to other states . The average job does not Pay enough to make a living on .
Currently the rich are wiping out the jobs , and corporations plan to automate most jobs by 2039 . With ai , and robots
There’s only rich and poor left in USA . Middle class left with the unions , congratulations on a baby hope someday I can find a job that pays enough to move out and get a good audio system .!!!
My god no backyard and your home is around 400k? Sorry haha

Free the reptile aliens

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
If you have space limits I suggest you get multiple small subs to one monster one.
You do not have to crank up the bass either , just it’s nice to-have extra headroom.
Why don’t you research info and models good for in wall installation . If you want that type of sub . Or infinity baffle under your room .

Free the reptile aliens
I was thinking of just doing an infinity r10 or 12. It’s just for everyday watching and stuff nothing crazy. I’d just love to figure out this speaker mystery

people are building like its 2006 out here. Most of it is actually high end rental apartments. Crazy retail and tech too. People coming from California. I just transplanted from NJ in 2016, so many opportunities and good pay here.

For $360k i get a patio. It’s like an English motor court design. They are houses with two or three car garages, not attached just don’t have real back yards. Instead we have like 20 parks for the neighborhood, a resort clubhouse with full subsidized bar($1-3 drinks), an Olympic pool, two hot tubs, a resort pool. 25 miles of trails, day care, full gym and yoga, massages, dog park, Tons of events very active community from Sept to April with snowbirds. It was a trade off and about $300 a month in hoa(two hoa, one for our community and one master community) but we think it’s worth it. Includes exterior and landscaping. But not for everyone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I live in Mesa!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking of just doing an infinity r10 or 12. It’s just for everyday watching and stuff nothing crazy. I’d just love to figure out this speaker mystery

people are building like its 2006 out here. Most of it is actually high end rental apartments. Crazy retail and tech too. People coming from California. I just transplanted from NJ in 2016, so many opportunities and good pay here.

For $360k i get a patio. It’s like an English motor court design. They are houses with two or three car garages, not attached just don’t have real back yards. Instead we have like 20 parks for the neighborhood, a resort clubhouse with full subsidized bar($1-3 drinks), an Olympic pool, two hot tubs, a resort pool. 25 miles of trails, day care, full gym and yoga, massages, dog park, Tons of events very active community from Sept to April with snowbirds. It was a trade off and about $300 a month in hoa(two hoa, one for our community and one master community) but we think it’s worth it. Includes exterior and landscaping. But not for everyone.
That’s a. Heck of a lot of perks , no wonder people spend so much to live there .

Free the reptile aliens

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, it looks like you do have a subwoofer connection there, which means that cable goes SOMEWHERE - but you would need to search around the room for a wall plate with a coaxial connection, or perhaps email the previous homeowners to find out where that cable went. The bullnose passthrough wall plate is a typical piece of hardware and actually delivers slightly better performance than if the wall plate was a terminated 7.1 audio plate.

A shame about those in-ceiling speakers as those will do nothing to help audio quality at all. But, pretty typical.

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
I
So, it looks like you do have a subwoofer connection there, which means that cable goes SOMEWHERE - but you would need to search around the room for a wall plate with a coaxial connection, or perhaps email the previous homeowners to find out where that cable went. The bullnose passthrough wall plate is a typical piece of hardware and actually delivers slightly better performance than if the wall plate was a terminated 7.1 audio plate.

A shame about those in-ceiling speakers as those will do nothing to help audio quality at all. But, pretty typical.
Thanks for reply. I thought it was a sub wire. I forgot one picture where the words sub are on the cable. I’ve checked the room multiple times and I cannot find a place that it exits again. It’s a shear wall but insulated so it has a bay and I’m certain there’s something in a 12x60 bay, it feels to be about 12x30 ish. Either way I think with the price of a decent passive amp being near $100 I’m better off waiting for the Infinity R12 to go on sale. I think it will be more than enough for an everyday driver. I’m going to connect it to a smart plug so it’s only on when I want.

I tried asking the old owners via Realtor but no response. Was disappointed. I renovated for a month. That’s why I was suprised I didn’t run into anything. The cable and cat 5 hookup is right next to the speaker wires, unless they hide it in a outlet box but this doesn’t seem like that type of install.

There’s another two speakers on the back wall. They actually do a decent job of surround with high quality content but only the back ones seem to provide a 3D effect. I need to get a center speaker for up front but no complaints on dialog. Maybe down the road they just become atmos drivers and I put some stands up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the sub's amp is still in place should be easy enough to hook up just about anything with a line out to the rca end and see if you can find the sub. I'd guess they took the amp with them but who knows with these built in the walls setups.

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
They took the amp. The person that had the house before me was a day trader so he had one couch, one table, four chairs, one bed and a computer with six monitors and nothing else. Super weird but I’m sure he just grabbed it on the way out

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They took the amp. The person that had the house before me was a day trader so he had one couch, one table, four chairs, one bed and a computer with six monitors and nothing else. Super weird but I’m sure he just grabbed it on the way out
Misread now that I re-read. I use Crown XLS 1500s myself....where did you find the sub tho?

R

RandomBri

Enthusiast
I haven’t dug it out of the wall but I can feel a bay full, and there is no sheer wall there.

doesn’t seem like anyone else here has any ideas?

C

CoryW

Audioholic
After messing around with a SuperCube III with DefTech support, and a host of other issues with amps in Infinity, DefTech, I have gone passive on all subs. My upstairs bedroom is using RBH TS-10an, a very old RBH 12” sub using a new RBH 12 driver (awesome sub”. These are powered with the excellent RBH SA-200 and SA-400.

Downstairs theater room has two RBH SX-1010sen/r. I have been powering them with a new Crown XLS1502. The amps pushing 500 or so watts per speaker. Love it.

I could not be more pleased with the performance with all of these subs. I have a glut of subs on hand. It decadent, unnecessary, and I love every minute of my playtime. The RBH SA series amps are amazing. They use the best components made, and is still the amp they use for sub testing. They can drive 2 ohm safely as long as you don’t hit them really hard.

I have no experience with RBH plate amps, but they have an excellent reputation. I gave up powered subs prior to getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis