N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
Hey folks, I have a couple passive subs and I would like to use them with my new Pioneer AV reciever. I know about plate amps, and I cant hook them up with RCA jacks. Can I run them on speaker system 2 without hooking up the satalites to them, and only run the left or right side to each? Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love passive subs. My dual RBH EX-1010N are passive. My new dual Funk Audio 18.0 subs will also be passive. You have to hook them up exactly like regular speakers.

So you will need amps like the $300 Crown XLS1000 or $350 XLS1500. Hook the AVR sub output to the RCA inputs of the Crown amp. Then hook regular speaker wires from amp to subs. Control the volume of the amp and sub channel level in AVR.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you still have your older receiver, you could use that, too (at least, to start with). You'd hook it up just like ADTG described for the Crown.

One of my earliest threads on AH was actually about doing something just like that. :)

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, my SAGX710 Technics reciever has only one side working therefore the SVX 1126. That old reciver weighs more than the new Pioneer. Considering having it fixed depending on the $.

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
OK, this is driving me crazy. I hooked up the old receiver (SAGX) by using the sub 1 output on the new Pioneer to the CD input on the SAGX and then ran speaker cables to the sub, I used a RCA splitter so it went from one rca to a left and right into the SAGX. I have no sound. The SAGX has a frequency display mode and it is showing no sound to the SAGX. Checking to make sure the sub isnt some how turned off.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As you mentioned, make sure that the Pioneer is set up to use a sub. If you went through the auto calibration without a sub connected, it wouldn't be sending any signal from that sub output. You can have it use the sub by going into the Pioneer's menu. Just let us know if you have any questions about that.

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
As you mentioned, make sure that the Pioneer is set up to use a sub. If you went through the auto calibration without a sub connected, it wouldn't be sending any signal from that sub output. You can have it use the sub by going into the Pioneer's menu. Just let us know if you have any questions about that.
I have been going through the speaker menus looking for the option but nothing so far. If I run the automatic set up will it see the sub?

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
Hey, ran it through the MCACC and it recognised the sub, so thats great! It keeps telling me that two of the speakers MAY be out of phase, So I changed the wires but it makes me nervous because Im sure I set it up right.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, ran it through the MCACC and it recognised the sub, so thats great! It keeps telling me that two of the speakers MAY be out of phase, So I changed the wires but it makes me nervous because Im sure I set it up right.
I'm glad that your subs are working now!

As for the speaker wires, if you know that they are connected correctly, then ignore that message. So, if they were right and you swapped the wires around, swap them back. Auto setup routines are great and have gotten more sophisticated over the years, but they aren't perfect.

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all your help. I'm 51 years old and cant wait for my Polk RTAI9s to show up. I bought the Polk RM3000 because I had 3 little kids and wanted to get my speakers off the ground. One of the satalites blew a speaker so I ordered two new ones that were at cost from the Canadain supplier so it was awesome, going to put that system in zone 2 and maybe add a powered sub to the sourround system. Next is a big screen only have a 42.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm glad that your subs are working now!

As for the speaker wires, if you know that they are connected correctly, then ignore that message. So, if they were right and you swapped the wires around, swap them back. Auto setup routines are great and have gotten more sophisticated over the years, but they aren't perfect.
They are better than the speakers and identify speakers with a lousy phase response.

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
Crap, when I shut the power off and power on it doesnt recognise the subs again.

N

Nasstify

Audioholic Intern
Finaly figured it out I think, had to go into the manuel speaker settings and enable the sub, dont know why it wouldnt figure it out itself its soooo smart!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis