passive sub help please

D

davenlo

Enthusiast
I have a 10in home passive sub (single voice coil) that I want to hook to a extra stereo power amp. How do i do this if i have two channels coming from amp going into a single sub with only one + and - to hook to? Thanks Davenlo

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Simple. You only use one channel of the amplifier, and don't hook up anything to the other channel.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
+1, unless the amp is bridgable {which it is probably not, and if it was there would be some sort of indicator on the rear panel near the speaker outputs}...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Bridging is can be tricky. Not all amps are bridgable. If they are, they would generally have a switch on them to allow this, like NAD units do.

Second, a bridged amp will treat a speaker as half it's nominal impedance. i.e, an eight ohm speaker will be treated as four ohms and a four ohm speaker would be reated as two ohms. And, many speakers drop below their nominal impedance at the low end.

D

davenlo

Enthusiast
my amp is not bridgeable. So then it's Ok to just use one channel then? Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yes it's ok, but subs are very power hungry, even low-end subs feed from 150W amp. Are you sure your amp can deliver at-least that much into a single channel?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis