Passive soundbar vs. On-wall LCR

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
Hi, I need some help making a decision about my living room speaker setup. Because of a number of factors out of my control, the TV has to be above the fireplace. We had the electrician wire for on-wall speakers and in-ceiling for surrounds. So now I am at a point where I need to decide which way to go...

I am trying to decide what way to go with the front LCRs and I just can't decide. I am looking at both 3 separate flat on-wall LCR speakers around the TV, or getting a single passive subwoofer to handle all 3 channels.

I don't have a huge budget for this (who knew building a house would cost so much more than the price of the darn house. )

Right now I am looking at the following options:

Passive Soundbars:

Atlantic Technology FS3
Boston Acoustics P400
Klipsch G42
KEF HTF7003
Definitive Technology XTR-SSA3
HTD Versa SB3

Separate LCR:

KEF T301 and T301c (or the KEF T101 and the T301c)

I'd like to keep the budget under $700. The T301 package is a bit more than that ($828 at accessories4less) but that seems to be one of the few discrete LCR flat options that aren't $500/speaker.

Does anyone have a preference of the ones I've listed? Or is there something else I am missing that would work and be better?

This is going to be 90% for TV watching so I don't need to be blown away. I have the Elac Debut series that I will be using when I build out the real home theater once I finish my basement.

These speakers will be paired with an SVS SB-1000 and a Denon AVR-X3100W.

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis