Passive Car Subwoofer?

D

derekb

Audiophyte
I just had to sell my car, and I have all of this car audio equipment laying around now, and have decided to get into home audio. I have a Pioneer vsx-d912 receiver, which says you can hook up a passive subwoofer to the back-surround speaker slot. Can I use my 10" infiniti sub from my car? It's rated for the right amount of wattage, but it is 4 ohms (single voice coil) and the receiver says to use speakers with an impedance of 8-16 ohms. Is there any way to wire this safely? Should I bother? Having this sub laying around is such a waste and if there's any way to use it for my home system I'd love to. If this is not possible in any way, what is a decent *cheap* powered subwoofer to buy? Main focus is music. Thanks a lot!

annunaki

annunaki

Why not look into a cheap amplifier from http://www.partsexpress.com to power your subwoofer. You may also want to look into a different enclosure. Enclosures for the home usually need to be larger to attain desireable low frequency extension. A .707 Qtc sealed enclosure or a low tuned ported enclosure (25hz-30hz) would be the best choice in this case. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis