Passing cable behind sheet rock

E

eddie787

What is the easiest technique to pass speaker cable behind sheet rock over the attic and down a wall on the opposite side of the room for rear surrounds. (...and paying someone 400 bucks ain't an option.)?

Appreciate the help..

K

Kyotech

Enthusiast
OK, how about $300 bucks???

I'm doing the same type of install this weekend. I have a pair of
Energy e:XL-R that I'm going to mount on the ceiling that way I don't have to run wires from the wall into the attic. I'm luck because my AV rack shares the wall with the garage so I'm going straight into the garage and down then back throught the wall to the receiver.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
If it's an outside wall it's a real b!tc# because of insulation.If it is you can save yourself a lot of drama by just taking the wire thru the attic,drill it to the outside,take down the wall outside(you can staple it when your done),then drill it back inside where you want it.If you have a crawlspace that is a much better option.
On an inside wall,if there is a power outlet already there use it to get your bearings from the attic.Odds are it drops down the wall from the attic so you should see it up there.I don't recommend using the same hole/path as the electrical but use it for reference.Go about 2 feet on one side or the other & drill down thru the studs.Down below,measure the same distance from the electrcal outlet as you did up in the attic.It helps to find the studs before you do all this,by the way.Then cut about a 2" X 2" hole in the wall.Drop the wire down in the wall from the attic & have someone try to snag it with a bent coat hanger or something like it.You will need help with this because the wire rarely appears right in front of the hole in the wall.You'll need to stay in the attic while they try to snag the wire.When you're finished a standard CBTV outlet cover or RCA stereo plug outlet will cover the hole.
Once again,if a crawl space is an option go that route.Good luck.

I would enhance zipper's reply by adding that you shodul measure a bit more carefully as electricians are known to randomly drill holes within the studs and run the wires down along one side or another - meaning you have a tolerance of a foot or so (that the hole may be off from the stud.

But assumiong you have attic access and it's not an outside wall, you'll have a fairly easy time of it. If it's an outside wall, I've seen zipper's other suggestion used successfully as well.

F

Fidelity4Me

Enthusiast
I found that duct-taping my speaker wire directly to the end of a collapsing backpacker tent pole (the bungie cord inside segmented aluminum tubing type) allowed me to better direct my efforts when pushing up from my unfinished basement into the walls, even the exterior, fully-insulated one. The segments allowed me to extend to pole further as needed or fold out of the way when not. This was actually more effective than the "Fish Tape" my friend loaned me that is designed exactly for this purpose. It's a little work, but having my B&W CDM SNTs sprout straight from the wall with no visible wiring looks SOOOO professional! Good luck!

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
Just a quick tip Never pass speaker wire down the same stud cavity as
110v electrical Make sure all wire that goes in the wall is CL-3 approved in-wall wire
Make sure you check for fire blocks in the wall before proceeding from the top down These can even be in partitioned walls There are several tricks and tips for running wire and wire can be pulled seamlessly from the bottom up
Cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis