Parts Express DSP subwoofer amp

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I suppose I do.

The SPA250DSP plate amp is one I have now put into three different subwoofers. First was a rehash of a Miller & Kreisel V-90 sub, which I did with the guidance of @TLS-Guy here (and remain eternally grateful to him for it.) The 1.4 cu ft cabinet was just too nice with its oak veneer to not save. The required enlarging the opening in the front baffle to accommodate the SB Acoustics SB34SWPL-76-4 driver, some additional bracing, and modification of the rear to handle the taller, narrower plate amp. It is by far better than any sub I've ever owned.

The same SPA250DSP plate amp went next into an otherwise dead Totem Dreamcatcher sub. The cabinet was a good little ported sub, and nothing wrong with its 7-1/2" driver. To get the amp on I had my son make a 1/2" thick MDF adapter plate and a 2" riser to fit it where an unobtainable 6-1/2" x 6-3/4" plate amp used to be. Dialed in, the sub performs probably better than it ever could with the stock 150w plate amp with no DSP. I don't know for sure, the stock amp had a buzz in it that wouldn't go away and though it was a BASH amp, Totem nor anyone else could get me a schematic.

Lastly, I used one in buying a complete kit from Parts Express. That was an 8" sub kit they offered for little more than the cost of the plate amp.

The app that you can download to a PC and use to setup the parameters for whatever driver & cabinet you have is pretty good. I forget now exactly what it was, but the app wouldn't run until I downloaded an add-on from Microsoft. Once I got it going is was very nice to have all those settings. It's not as good as what you get in a wireless app with the newer SVS subs, but I have yet to pay more than $180 for the amp and free app. No failures of any kind with any of the three, oldest one about 18 months or so.
HTH

Last edited:
T

trochetier

Audioholic
I suppose I do.

The SPA250DSP plate amp is one I have now put into three different subwoofers. First was a rehash of a Miller & Kreisel V-90 sub, which I did with the guidance of @TLS-Guy here (and remain eternally grateful to him for it.) The 1.4 cu ft cabinet was just too nice with its oak veneer to not save. The required enlarging the opening in the front baffle to accommodate the SB Acoustics SB34SWPL-76-4 driver, some additional bracing, and modification of the rear to handle the taller, narrower plate amp. It is by far better than any sub I've ever owned.

The same SPA250DSP plate amp went next into an otherwise dead Totem Dreamcatcher sub. The cabinet was a good little ported sub, and nothing wrong with its 7-1/2" driver. To get the amp on I had my son make a 1/2" thick MDF adapter plate and a 2" riser to fit it where an unobtainable 6-1/2" x 6-3/4" plate amp used to be. Dialed in, the sub performs probably better than it ever could with the stock 150w plate amp with no DSP. I don't know for sure, the stock amp had a buzz in it that wouldn't go away and though it was a BASH amp, Totem nor anyone else could get me a schematic.

Lastly, I used one in buying a complete kit from Parts Express. That was an 8" sub kit they offered for little more than the cost of the plate amp.

The app that you can download to a PC and use to setup the parameters for whatever driver & cabinet you have is pretty good. I forget now exactly what it was, but the app wouldn't run until I downloaded an add-on from Microsoft. Once I got it going is was very nice to have all those settings. It's not as good as what you get in a wireless app with the newer SVS subs, but I have yet to pay more than $180 for the amp and free app. No failures of any kind with any of the three, oldest one about 18 months or so.
HTH
Thanks for the reply. Does the amp have the calibration frequencies built-in or do I have to feed them from my HT system. The info on the PE site is not clear.

I am considering replacing the old PE 250 watt plate amp with the 250 watt DSP. The sub is sealed sonotube unit Qtc= 0.5 with Adire Audio Tempest driver. I DIY'd it circa 2004 with input from one of the SVS guys.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It has built-in. Download the free app and run it as "practice" mode.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis