Parasound Newclassic 200 Integrated - Anyone Have or Demoed One? Opinions?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
200_Integrated_high_angle_black.jpg

So, my bit of disenchantment with my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 has had me scouring the internet, looking for my next bestie. I've yet to venture to a dealer in the COVID-19 era, but that may change. The new Parasound Newclassic 200 Integrated seems to have most of the features I am looking for: built in DAC (no DSD, but that's cool) phono stage (MM & MC) rudimentary bass management (sub control on the remote is rad!) and 110WPC.

I can't find any published measurements, but the reviews (yes, I know...) have been pretty positive:

What I like: features, ultra slim profile, gold lettering matches my Pioneer UDP-LX500. What I don't like: bright green display - ugh! I may experiment with colored film to do... something. I least it is dimmable. What I am unsure about: Class D amplification. I had a bad experience with a T+A Powerplant - it was waaay too soft (as in leading transients) and I think they tried too hard to smooth out the "jaggies" or something. I've read that newer Class D can be awesome and I've heard a fantastic (out of my reach $-wise) implementation from Linn. My hope is, this being Parasound, they did the job the right way.

Anywho, anybody have or heard this puppy? Also, I do have my eye on a couple British imports - just thought I would explore a domestic option!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 37092

So, my bit of disenchantment with my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 has had me scouring the internet, looking for my next bestie. I've yet to venture to a dealer in the COVID-19 era, but that may change. The new Parasound Newclassic 200 Integrated seems to have most of the features I am looking for: built in DAC (no DSD, but that's cool) phono stage (MM & MC) rudimentary bass management (sub control on the remote is rad!) and 110WPC.

I can't find any published measurements, but the reviews (yes, I know...) have been pretty positive:

What I like: features, ultra slim profile, gold lettering matches my Pioneer UDP-LX500. What I don't like: bright green display - ugh! I may experiment with colored film to do... something. I least it is dimmable. What I am unsure about: Class D amplification. I had a bad experience with a T+A Powerplant - it was waaay too soft (as in leading transients) and I think they tried too hard to smooth out the "jaggies" or something. I've read that newer Class D can be awesome and I've heard a fantastic (out of my reach $-wise) implementation from Linn. My hope is, this being Parasound, they did the job the right way.

Anywho, anybody have or heard this puppy? Also, I do have my eye on a couple British imports - just thought I would explore a domestic option!
In my opinion you will be better off going with a cheap external DAC and power amp if you already have an AVR that has pre out. Or an ext DAC and an integrated amp that is pure and simple.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm - good thoughts. Just to be clear, this will be in lieu of the AVR (selling it) not adding an integrated to the chain. Do you have information that the Parasound may not be a good performer and that a "pure and simple" integrated (and DAC) would be a better option? What "pure and simple" integrated would you recommend?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Oh yeah - you mentioned an outboard DAC. In your opinion, is the Pioneer's AKM AK4458 not up to snuff?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Parasound makes excellent stuff. I have an old 5 channel amp from Parasound and it's a beast. One of the best pieces of equipment I ever bought in this hobby. That being said I'm no expert on this particular product though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh yeah - you mentioned an outboard DAC. In your opinion, is the Pioneer's AKM AK4458 not up to snuff?
That one is probably about as good as most you will find in the under $2,500 integrated amps. Its spec is similar to that of the ES9010K2M found in the A-S801.

But for $100 or less you can get an external one with the ex flag ship AK4490 or the newer AK4493, AK4497 etc. Or pay a little more for one implemented with the AK4499. The AK4490's spec is comparable to that of the ES9026Pro found in the RX-A3080.

External ones are more flexible, and obviously portable. My point is simply, why go half way to the low/mid range integrated amps with build in DAC that are often just glorified AVRs. Not a problem actually but again why not go direct to separates if receivers are not your thing.

I have an integrated amp too, but it is a pure bred.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Found one that is based on the AK4493, $129, plays DSD512. You are going to have hard time finding an integrated amp that can play DSD512 and that is based on a DAC chip comparable to the AK4493.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That one is probably about as good as most you will find in the under $2,500 integrated amps. Its spec is similar to that of the ES9010K2M found in the A-S801.

But for $100 or less you can get an external one with the ex flag ship AK4490 or the newer AK4493, AK4497 etc. Or pay a little more for one implemented with the AK4499. The AK4490's spec is comparable to that of the ES9026Pro found in the RX-A3080.

External ones are more flexible, and obviously portable. My point is simply, why go half way to the low/mid range integrated amps with build in DAC that are often just glorified AVRs. Not a problem actually but again why not go direct to separates if receivers are not your thing.

I have an integrated amp too, but it is a pure bred.
What is a purebred integrated amp? Just limited to a feature set of a 70s receiver but without tuner? :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What is a purebred integrated amp? Just limited to a feature set of a 70s receiver but without tuner? :)
Integrated amps don't have tuners anyway. My own (sorry, just my own) definition for pure bred integrated amp is one that doesn't have build in DAC and do not share any critical parts/components with AVRs, except of course common parts such as resistors, capacitors, output transistor and transformers etc. For example, the seemingly popular A-S801 shares the multichannel large scale ICs (LSI) chips with their AVR cousins, and actually worse sometimes. For example the preamp/volume control chip used in the 801 is an old discontinued one, why?? This chip, according to Dr. Rich of hometheaterhifi.com, is often the bottleneck in terms of audio specs, not the DAC. I would consider the A-S700 pure bred, but not the A-S701. Now I am not saying pure bred is better, it is just my preference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Integrated amps don't have tuners anyway. My own (sorry, just my own) definition for pure bred integrated amp is one that doesn't have build in DAC and do not share any critical parts/components with AVRs, except of course common parts such as resistors, capacitors, output transistor and transformers etc. For example, the seemingly popular A-S801 shares the multichannel large scale ICs (LSI) chips with their AVR cousins, and actually worse sometimes. For example the preamp/volume control chip used in the 801 is an old discontinued one, why?? This chip, according to Dr. Rich of hometheaterhifi.com, is often the bottleneck in terms of audio specs, not the DAC. I would consider the A-S700 pure bred, but not the A-S701. Now I am not saying pure bred is better, it is just my preference.
Just needling you a bit. Purebred just seemed a bit over the top for a description of an integrated amp. Seems back in the day we used to call integrated amps just receivers without a tuner, as if you really wanted "good stuff" you bought a dedicated tuner, pre-amp and amp separately...you know, keep all those nasty electronics from interfering/intermingling with each other in various ways or avoiding heat, etc.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
As far as DAC chips go, my Pioneer UDP-LX500 has the AK4490 and sounds magnificent.

So, would you consider the Parasound integrated I am looking at a “glorified AVR” just because it has a built in DAC? I know you like to site the A-S801 because it shares parts with other Yamaha AVRs, but Parasound does not have any AVRs with which to share. Instead, it pulls kit from their higher end, 2-channel only units (phono stage, preamp stage, DAC). About the only thing the Newclassic 200 has that is not a proven entity throughout their lineup is the Class D amplifier section.

Would you consider offerings from Arcam and Cambridge Audio glorified AVRs as well?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is unproven about class D amplification these days?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just needling you a bit. Purebred just seemed a bit over the top for a description of an integrated amp. Seems back in the day we used to call integrated amps just receivers without a tuner, as if you really wanted "good stuff" you bought a dedicated tuner, pre-amp and amp separately...you know, keep all those nasty electronics from interfering/intermingling with each other in various ways or avoiding heat, etc.
No problem, in fact that's my exact point. If one has concerns with things intermingling, i.e. AVRs/receivers are bad, then why stop at integrated? If there is really good reason to go with integrated then at least pick one that is simple and stupid, and that's what I called pure bred, not one that is created by removing some amps and tuner from and AVR, leaving many unused features of the remaining parts.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As far as DAC chips go, my Pioneer UDP-LX500 has the AK4490 and sounds magnificent.

So, would you consider the Parasound integrated I am looking at a “glorified AVR” just because it has a built in DAC? I know you like to site the A-S801 because it shares parts with other Yamaha AVRs, but Parasound does not have any AVRs with which to share. Instead, it pulls kit from their higher end, 2-channel only units (phono stage, preamp stage, DAC). About the only thing the Newclassic 200 has that is not a proven entity throughout their lineup is the Class D amplifier section.

Would you consider offerings from Arcam and Cambridge Audio glorified AVRs as well?
Arcam may be but Cambridge Audio is fine, I have one and as far as I can see they stick with conventional variable resistors/relays etc., for volume control, keeping the use of any ICs to the minimum (of course they are many OPAs, they are ICs too), but no LSI chips for sure. Parasound's should be good, but why have a build in DAC, if that's not an issue, that why not add a tuner and then squeeze in more amp channels, DSPs, fans etc., and then you end up with another jammed pack device that guys like TLSG could not stand.. I just cannot understand why people keep wanting to go from AVR to integrated amp instead of separate components. Face it, don't we get that kind of questions (like I got an avr but want better sound quality for 2 channel use, should I get an integrated amp?) at least twice a month?

I bet @AcuDefTechGuy would support me on this, but he's nowhere to be found when you need him.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at the performance in ASR testing of three Arcam units lately, makes me wonder just how well designed they are....

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
What is unproven about class D amplification these days?
Sorry- “unproven” as in this is Parasound’s first foray into Class D amplification (aside from their “zone” amps) in a stand alone “hi-fi” product.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry- “unproven” as in this is Parasound’s first foray into Class D amplification (aside from their “zone” amps) in a stand alone “hi-fi” product.
I'd think it is as competent as their other offerings. Not much to worry about IMO.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
No problem, in fact that's my exact point. If one has concerns with things intermingling, i.e. AVRs/receivers are bad, then why stop at integrated? If there is really good reason to go with integrated then at least pick one that is simple and stupid, and that's what I called pure bred, not one that is created by removing some amps and tuner from and AVR, leaving many unused features of the remaining parts.
And usually cost more for less features.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis