Parallel speakers for center channel???

B

behnkem

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a set of fairly new surrond speakers that I want to run in parallel on my center channel (I do not have a center channel speaker yet).  I have 4 booze series 4 (8&quot; woofer and tweeters) for my main and rear surround, and no subwoofer.  My reciever is a Sony STR-DE935, 110 watts per channel.

I would like to run both of the small surrond sound speakers to my center channel because when I hook just 1 up the other speakers tend to overpower it.  When I hook both up in parallel, it sounds good, but I do not want to damage my amp, either, by running 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms.

The sony receiver says the center channel is rated from 8-16 ohms.  Will running it at 4 ohms hurt it?  If so, can I reduce the chance of damage by putting a 4ohm resistor in series with the speakers to bring the resistance back up to 8 ohms?

Eventually I want to get the booze surrond center channel speaker (the one with 4 speakers in it), but finances do not permit it at this time.  This is a stop gap solution for the time being.

Mike Behnke</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis