Paradigm vs. Def Tech

M

Mr. Goodbar

Audiophyte
I am starting to build my home theater system to be used in my basement. I have just purchased a Denon AVR-2106 receiver. I need some help deciding on which speaker system to buy.

First off, my basement is finished with wood panel walls (insulated), about 7’ high drop ceiling, and is an “L-shape” formation about 30’ one way and 20’ the other. My listening and viewing area will be at the corner of the “L” and is about a 12’x15’ area. The other areas of the basement are open to the theater area.

I would like to keep my speaker budget to under $2000. These are the two systems I am considering…

Definitive Technology
Fronts – BP7006’s
Rears – BP2X’s
Center – Mythos Three or Mythos Seven (which?)

Paradigm
Fronts – Monitor 7’s
Rears – ADP-170’s or ADP-370’s (which?)
Center – CC-370

I can get a 15% discount with the Def Tech dealer. My main issues are basically:

1) Any reason why one brand would be much better than the other?
2) Will the built in subs in the BP7006’s be enough to replace a dedicated sub box? If not, what type of sub to get?
3) If the Paradigm system is the better deal, should I go with a Paradigm or Velodyne sub and which kind?

Any help or opinions I can get would be great.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
The paradigm's are far superior to the Def tech. IMO Def tech has gone downhill in the past few years.

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Goodbar, i realize your thread was asking for opinions and thats what you received. Are you going to go buy the paradigms based on these replys? I would hope not. Speakers that sound outstanding to one may be shrill and grating to another. Take along a favorite cd, go back to your dealer and LISTEN to these speakers. Which ones did you like? Don't limit your choices to paradigm and def tech, although i think both are good prospects. By the same token, don't buy the def techs simply based on the discount. Part of the fun of this hobby is making upgrades. Don't make a buying decision that you may regret without taking the time to listen and compare, with speakers more so than any other piece of equipment.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
rollinrocker said:
Goodbar, i realize your thread was asking for opinions and thats what you received. Are you going to go buy the paradigms based on these replys? I would hope not. Speakers that sound outstanding to one may be shrill and grating to another. Take along a favorite cd, go back to your dealer and LISTEN to these speakers. Which ones did you like? Don't limit your choices to paradigm and def tech, although i think both are good prospects. By the same token, don't buy the def techs simply based on the discount. Part of the fun of this hobby is making upgrades. Don't make a buying decision that you may regret without taking the time to listen and compare, with speakers more so than any other piece of equipment.
I would never ever regret owning a Paradigm system. Have you heard the two side-by-side? I have. Once the dealer got Paradigm, He kept Def Tech until he was sold out. Then came B&W. Then he got Monitor Audio. Well, it was time for Paradigm to go. Either there was no Paradigm Reference & Signature at the time, or he just didn't have 'em. Those two would be more in line with his current B&W & Monitor Audio lines.

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
I have to agree with rollinrocker on this one... though I also have to agree with MacManNM and zumbo as well. Let me explain. :confused:

I personally think that the Paradigm speakers will be much more accurate and musical. However, the Def Tech's are likely to be more thrilling for home theater/movies. As for whether the powered woofers in the Def Tech's will be sufficient, only you can decide. They will definately give you some shake, shimmy, and slam... but accurate? enough? who knows.

So, what do you listen to most? Movies or music? Are you willing to compromise the other for your preference? Or are you looking for the best balance for both movies and music.

In the end, if you like what you hear, then get 'em. Take a few of your favorite CD's and DVD's along; one's you know very well. Play both movie scenes and music, and let your ears, your gut, and the back of your neck be the judge. When you hear something that appeals to you on both music and movies you should get two reactions: your gut will tighten on the movie cuts, and the back of your neck should tingle on the musical tracks.

Well, maybe not... but isn't that what you're shooting for? Realism... realism that makes you react physically. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Then you bring them home, hook them up to your system, and they sound completely different.

1. Always buy from a store with a liberal return policy.

2. Be ready to return them.

Speakers react as much to the environment they are in as they do to the audio that is being fed through them. So, until dealers figure out how to replicate your listening room, you really need to make the best decision you can based on the available data, then try them out for yourself at home.

But, there are dozens of excellent companies out there that are also worth as much of a listen and may be just as good, or better for the money.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
I have the Definitive Technology Flagship setup in my home theater and it is awesome. I am running the BP7000sc Towers, CLR3000 Center Channel, BPVX/P Rear surrounds and a Supercube Trinity Signature Sub.

For Home Theater Use, I would say they are very hard to beat. The Bi-polar array totally disappears with a good movie in the dark a fills the room with enormous sound affects, dialog and bass.

Now for 2-Channel stereo, I would choose a different brand because they will be more accurate and precise.

For music accuracy and imaging are the key elements of good playback, but for Home theater I would say Soundstage and presence are the key factors that sucks you into a movie.

I have found fter listening to lots and lots of speakers that while some are excellent for home theater they can be not that great for music.
But speakers that are Good at music are also good at theater use.

For me, I am 90%HT/10%Music so it was a no brainer. The Def Techs are awesome speakers if setup properly and used for what they were made for! which is HT...

Just my 2cents,

M

Mr. Goodbar

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the input everyone. I have listened to both. Unfortunately they are at separate stores, so it is hard to get a side by side comparison. I will be using them primarily for movies.

I did notice that the Paradigms were much more direct and you could hear a very distinct difference between the music and vocal. At this point I am kind of leaning more towards the Def Techs because I will be using them mostly for movies and I love the big soundstage effect.

If anyone else has any opinions or different things I should be aware of, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
See my posts (g_bartman) under this exact thread at avsforum/speakers.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
The Def techs are not bad speakers, they are just way overpriced. I personally think they are verry bright with muddy midrange but that is my opinion. If it's mainly for HT why not look at a Klipsch setup, or (I can't believe I'm going to say this) Axiom. I did a quick listen to the Axiom M22i's and I think they would work pretty good in a HT setup.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
To me, the Paradigms are far superior. As for the sub in the Def Techs, to me it's a non issue or even a hindrance over a dedicated sub. At least with a separate sub you can move it around to get the best bass response. With the sub in the mains cabinets, you are pretty much stuck with the response you get from where they work best for imaging and locking to the screen image.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Mr. Goodbar said:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I have listened to both. Unfortunately they are at separate stores, so it is hard to get a side by side comparison. I will be using them primarily for movies.

I did notice that the Paradigms were much more direct and you could hear a very distinct difference between the music and vocal. At this point I am kind of leaning more towards the Def Techs because I will be using them mostly for movies and I love the big soundstage effect.

If anyone else has any opinions or different things I should be aware of, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.
Don't jump so quick. You might want to take a poll. It's easy to do. Just start another thread, and set-up a poll between the two. You will get more answers that way. Like I said, I have heard both brands in the same room, on the same equipment, on the same day, and at the same time. The Paradigm system was even less expensive, and far better. So much so, the owner droped the Def Tech brand. And, as I stated, he droped the Paradigms when he picked-up Monitor Audio. He had Paradigm & B&W up until that point. Now, just B&W & Monitor Audio.

I don't own either brand. I don't work for either company. There is nothing in this for me, other than helping you not be stuck with something you may not want.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
zumbo said:
Don't jump so quick. You might want to take a poll. It's easy to do. Just start another thread, and set-up a poll between the two. You will get more answers that way. Like I said, I have heard both brands in the same room, on the same equipment, on the same day, and at the same time. The Paradigm system was even less expensive, and far better. So much so, the owner droped the Def Tech brand. And, as I stated, he droped the Paradigms when he picked-up Monitor Audio. He had Paradigm & B&W up until that point. Now, just B&W & Monitor Audio.

I don't own either brand. I don't work for either company. There is nothing in this for me, other than helping you not be stuck with something you may not want.
Didn't he just say he liked the Deftechs more? If he likes them, after hearing them, then theres nothing we can do, or should do to sway him.

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
Didn't he just say he liked the Deftechs more? If he likes them, after hearing them, then theres nothing we can do, or should do to sway him.

SheepStar
Point taken.:eek:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers and Sub

In your large room, floorstanders and a sub are definately a necessity. You might also consider an M60 or M80 system from Axiom Audio which should come in aroud $2000 for the speakers. For the sub, check out the 12" models from SVS and HSU.

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Maxx, i don't mean to hijack this thread, but what do you think of the trinity? I briefly listened to one at my dealer (Audio Etc. in dayton) and was impressed. How does it sound (feel?) in your room? I have two references in my system, so i have an idea what you're experiencing!

M

MAX661

Audioholic
The trinity POUNDS! My dealer told me that their calibrator measured it down to 16hz with excellent response in there 40L x 24W Theater Room. It's a huge room and they have 2 Trinity Subs setup in there now.

I have said this before on another forum, but if you put a senior citizen in that room with the right movie, I am sure a heart attack is soon to follow! Not that it is something to be proud of, but you get my comparison.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis