Paradigm vs Axiom Speakers

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I know that many of the staff of Audioholics and the general participating audience have had the opportunity to either listen to or test both of these speakers. &nbsp;I am extremely interested in your opinions, as I have never actually heard Axioms or seen the Axioms in person, although I have listened to the new Paradigm V3s , and came away quite impressed. &nbsp;

I intend inclined to use one of these products as my main stereo pair, and complete an entire home theater system with the successful manufactuer's corresponding products. &nbsp;Clearly, the Axiom products seem to represent a tremendous value, but I'm concerned with just ordering the Axioms sight unseen (unheard?) and taking my chances.

Please write in and give me some feedback!!

Thanks...

Stiletto Pat
Tampa, FL</font>

D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>My goal was the same as yours putting together a system almost a year ago: killer mains for audio and let the surround setup simply fall into place.  

It came down to the 2 speakers that fit me best: Paradigm Studio 60s and Axiom M60s.  I was able to hear them both, but not side by side.  
I think they do sound very similiar, but without a direct comparison, (travelling to multiple stores in different countries even (I live just over the Canadian border in Buffalo)), I really don't know for sure.  

I bit the bullet and went with the Axiom system, which I got for several hundred dollars less than the Paradigm setup due to a great exchange rate on top of great prices from an Ontario dealer.  

So price was the determining factor for me, but even in with hindsight, I love the speakers and I would definitely buy the Axioms again, and I'd need a convincing demo of the Paradigms outdoing the Axioms by an obvious margin to make the extra expense worth it.  

Axioms are known for their clarity/brightness or whatever you want to call it, and I guess it can be a little too much for some.  But I don't think the Paradigms are that dissimilar anyway.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>There is a review here on Audioholics that compares several speakers including Paradgm and Axiom. &nbsp;You may want to check it out.

Abe</font>

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. &nbsp;I have read the review of the Axiom 80 Home Theater System, as well as the numerous older reviews of Paradigm's Studio Series 2 products. &nbsp;Although the Axioms seem to get continuously good review, I guess I still have some reservations, due to never having seen or heard the Axiom products.

Basically, my issues can be reduced to the following:
1. &nbsp;Has anyone heard the new Paradigm Studio Series 3 line who can compare the two lines? &nbsp;i.e., Are the sound qualities similar? &nbsp;Are the subs, surrounds and center qualities also similar?
2. &nbsp;Is the appearance and build quality similar between the Paradigms and the Axioms? &nbsp;I found the Paradigms to be quite acceptable. &nbsp;
3. &nbsp;I have seen where people rave about the Customer Service Axiom provides. &nbsp;Has anyone had to have products repaired/replaced, and was their experience favorable?

Thanks again for responding, and the chance to have a forum at a great site like Audioholics!!

StilettoPat
3. &nbsp; &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>The comparative review mentioned above is how I found out about Axiom in the first place.  

2. Between the 2... the appearance is obviously different, and just a matter of taste (I like them).  Axiom does have plenty of colors to choose from, too.
The build quality is solid for both from what I can tell.  The review of the M80 system on this site addresses the build quality better than I could here.  

3. My experience with Axiom customer service has been positive.  I noticed a small ding in a tweeter the day after I got them, so the shipped me a new one right away.  There was no audible problem, but they sent it anyway free of charge.  It swapped out quite easily.
Also, my QS8 stands were pre-drilled wrong, and I mangled them trying to set them up, so they sent another pair of those, too.  (the new ones are still in the box as I am really lazy).

There's still no substitute for listening, though.  They do have a return policy if you're not afraid to eat the return shipping costs - (on the off chance that you would return them!).</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>StilettoPat,

don't konw what's your speaker budget looks like. &nbsp;I'd highly recommend you move to &quot;higher levels&quot;. &nbsp; For stand mount speakers, try Dynaudio. &nbsp;You can, for a little over $800, online order a pair of brand new Dynaudio Accoustics BM6 which is identical to the legendary Contour 1.3SE ($3500 MSRP). &nbsp;Dynaudio used to supply top quality drivers to high end speaker manufacturers and DYI crowds. &nbsp;Now they make their own speaker &nbsp;so they stopped doing that. &nbsp;The Dyn's sound exceptionally uncolored, neutral, clean, detailed, yet nonfatiguing and musical (which is tough to accomplish).

If you prefer 'warmer' sound, try ProAc Response 1SC (~$1100 used on A'gon). &nbsp;This is personal preference. &nbsp;I myself go to Dyn though.

Both brands above are of completely different league than Axiom or Paradgm. &nbsp;As speakers is THE most critical part of a audio system (well don't want to start a 'war' here) so spend a majority of your budget on them will be a wise thing to do.

Abe</font>

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
<font color='#000000'>I would also recommend you listen to PSB' s image series; particularily the Image 4T 5T, ot 6T. They offer phenonnemal sound for the price and their abitliy to improve on sound when mated &nbsp;to higher end electronics is phenomenal.</font>

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Great advice gentlemen. &nbsp;I greatly appreciate your consel.

I'd like to leave this open in case anyone else out there has anything to add....

Pat
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis