Paradigm Sub 2 vs Perlisten D215s

A

avelon

Audiophyte
Hey,

I originally posted this in the Perlisten thread at avs, but was suggested asking the question here. Any chance you have any input on this @shadyJ ?

Shamelessly copied from avs:

Happy owner of S7T+S7C here in a tiny room. (2.4mx4.5m, see attached).

Originally I had the setup rotated 90 degrees and had to go for the most bang for the..size, which is why I paid way too much for brand new Paradigm Sub 2's. However, I've now rearranged a bit and could potentially shoehorn in a couple of D215s' (selling the Sub 2's with a massive loss, admittedly). Looking for input on whether this will be an actual upgrade or just a sideways one.. Thoughts?

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As far as output goes, they are pretty neck and neck. The D215 does exhibit less distortion, but that is mostly when both are pushed very hard. If I had to choose between them, I would go for the D215s, but it wouldn't be a huge upgrade. You are unlikely to notice the difference. I would hold on to the Paradigm Sub 2s instead of taking a loss on them, so long as the warranty is long. One major advantage that the D215 has over the SUB 2 is that I would guess that the D215 is much less prone to failure. I think the D215 will have a much more reliable amp and driver layout. That being said, I don't know if the Sub 2 is actually prone to failure, but running six drivers on a single amp is a scary thing for long-term reliability. The D215 will have a much more modern amp design that is probably being stressed less.

A

avelon

Audiophyte
As far as output goes, they are pretty neck and neck. The D215 does exhibit less distortion, but that is mostly when both are pushed very hard. If I had to choose between them, I would go for the D215s, but it wouldn't be a huge upgrade. You are unlikely to notice the difference. I would hold on to the Paradigm Sub 2s instead of taking a loss on them, so long as the warranty is long. One major advantage that the D215 has over the SUB 2 is that I would guess that the D215 is much less prone to failure. I think the D215 will have a much more reliable amp and driver layout. That being said, I don't know if the Sub 2 is actually prone to failure, but running six drivers on a single amp is a scary thing for long-term reliability. The D215 will have a much more modern amp design that is probably being stressed less.
Thanks for the input. You actually touched upon one of the main reasons why I'm also considering a switch, and that's the potential failure down the line. Even though the Sub 2's were purchased only 8 months ago, I'm well aware that it's (probably) a dated design and who knows when they'll even stop producing the subs/parts. At least I'm protected by 5 years of warranty according to consumer law in my country.

Going to have to give this some serious thought.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish Perlisten would eventually make a passive version of the D215s. I would want 2. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wish Perlisten would eventually make a passive version of the D215s. I would want 2. :D
No user is going to be able to dial in that sub better than the manufacturers have done. The only advantage that going passive would confer is that it would be less expensive, but people who are shopping in this price range aren't looking to shave a few dollars off of the final cost, especially since that would then entail a lot of time spent on calibrating an amplifier to optimize this sub's performance.

D

Dhos4094

Audioholic Intern
Just bought r7t, r5c. I have dual pb16 ultras looking to sell them and get dual d212s or maybe dual d215s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis