Paradigm Studio SUB-15 Subwoofer – Rosenut

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
On sale in Canada for $2,000 ($CDN) $1,500 ($USD).

This seems like a great deal. Opinions?
I have been looking at monoprice 12 and SVS 3000 subs, which (in Canada) are only about $100-$200 less ($USD).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think that's a fine price if it is new. I would not buy an old or used one for that price though.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I think that's a fine price if it is new. I would not buy an old or used one for that price though.
I'm bad at decisions. It seems like a step up from what I would even consider my range, but do you think it's worth stretching out of the monolith or SVS range?

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I'm bad at decisions. It seems like a step up from what I would even consider my range, but do you think it's worth stretching out of the monolith or SVS range?
Just to be clear, the price difference for me in Canada is a couple hundred from the monolith 12, and roughly the same for the monolith 15

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just to be clear, the price difference for me in Canada is a couple hundred from the monolith 12, and roughly the same for the monolith 15
The SUB15 is going to be a good sub, no doubt. It is a sealed sub, so it won't be a deep bass monster, but it should have very good mid-bass output, superior to the Monolith or SVS subs, except for maybe the Monolith 15". It is very nice looking.

The Monolith subs do give up some looks in favor of performance. The 12" and 15" are both excellent subwoofers. They will have very serious deep bass output as well. The caveat is they are big and heavy. Just moving the Monolith 15" around is serious business- it is 130 lbs. The performance is excellent, just read the review. Here is a review for the 12". The Audioholics review for the SVS 3000 series is forthcoming, hopefully it will be published by the end of October.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
The SUB15 is going to be a good sub, no doubt. It is a sealed sub, so it won't be a deep bass monster, but it should have very good mid-bass output, superior to the Monolith or SVS subs, except for maybe the Monolith 15". It is very nice looking.

The Monolith subs do give up some looks in favor of performance. The 12" and 15" are both excellent subwoofers. They will have very serious deep bass output as well. The caveat is they are big and heavy. Just moving the Monolith 15" around is serious business- it is 130 lbs. The performance is excellent, just read the review. Here is a review for the 12". The Audioholics review for the SVS 3000 series is forthcoming, hopefully it will be published by the end of October.
Thanks for the reply. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a whole, gushing from your response, I might be better off still going with dual monolith 12s (waiting for a price drop) than splurging for two if these paradigm 15s as a value for dollar perspective (ignoring room size, etc.)?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a whole, gushing from your response, I might be better off still going with dual monolith 12s (waiting for a price drop) than splurging for two if these paradigm 15s as a value for dollar perspective (ignoring room size, etc.)?
The Paradigms might have more headroom in the music range (40Hz+) and they also look prettier. If that matters to you, it may be worth splurging on the Paradigms. If you don't care about looks so much and are more interested in deep bass for movie effects sounds, than the Monolith subs are the better choice.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
The Paradigms might have more headroom in the music range (40Hz+) and they also look prettier. If that matters to you, it may be worth splurging on the Paradigms. If you don't care about looks so much and are more interested in deep bass for movie effects sounds, than the Monolith subs are the better choice.
Thank you. 100% appreciate your advice. I care way more about music than home theatre; although I do care about home theatre. Your comments are in line with my gut reaction. I think I need to flip a coin here and let fate decide.

Last edited:
HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Well one thing is for sure my HT at 1680cf whines with my paradigm studio sub 15 even at -20 :p

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I thought you were saying by -20 it was starting to complain....
The TH room complains and the sub just laughs at it:p never went beyond -7 for the eagles hell freezes over (track: get over it)o_O

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis