Paradigm Studio 20's first impression

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Well after about 2 weeks of backorder, I got the speakers yesterday. The quality and look are just as I suspected, I went with the rosenut color, and they look GREAT. I have them Biwired into the back of my Yami, and they sounded great last nite as I studied for my physics test. I gave them about 4 hours of easy listening, about -20 or less dec.

I got up this morning, and stole my roomates cervin vega sub out of the living room surround sound system, and lets just say it is not going back. THIS COMBO IS AWESOME. The paradigms are the most crisp, clear speaker I have ever heard. I am a college student, and they were worth all $750. I have them on some premium brand stands, and the combo is the best looking thing in my room. I just cannot get over the sound though, I have them cranked to about -11 right now and I am suprised the police have not came to see what the cover charge at the door is.

I have yet to watch a DVD on them, but they will be the only speakers (with the sub) hooked up, so we will see how well they cover the sounds in like fast and furious and such. I believe I have some Aiwa speakers, the center channel and two rears from my OLD shelf system at my other house. I may try and get them and just hook them up for the time being.

If you are looking for a bookshelf speaker to start a system, or just want to run a sub sat system for music, GET THESE SPEAKERS. You will not be disappointed.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
sucks to be you!!

Crackerballer said:
Well after about 2 weeks of backorder, I got the speakers yesterday. The quality and look are just as I suspected, I went with the rosenut color, and they look GREAT. I have them Biwired into the back of my Yami, and they sounded great last nite as I studied for my physics test. I gave them about 4 hours of easy listening, about -20 or less dec.

I got up this morning, and stole my roomates cervin vega sub out of the living room surround sound system, and lets just say it is not going back. THIS COMBO IS AWESOME. The paradigms are the most crisp, clear speaker I have ever heard. I am a college student, and they were worth all $750. I have them on some premium brand stands, and the combo is the best looking thing in my room. I just cannot get over the sound though, I have them cranked to about -11 right now and I am suprised the police have not came to see what the cover charge at the door is.

I have yet to watch a DVD on them, but they will be the only speakers (with the sub) hooked up, so we will see how well they cover the sounds in like fast and furious and such. I believe I have some Aiwa speakers, the center channel and two rears from my OLD shelf system at my other house. I may try and get them and just hook them up for the time being.

If you are looking for a bookshelf speaker to start a system, or just want to run a sub sat system for music, GET THESE SPEAKERS. You will not be disappointed.

Congrats and enjoy!!

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I just bought the same 2 weeks ago (in black) and share your sentiments. They are one solid pair of speakers. Congrats and enjoy!

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Yea I thought I was gonna have mine 2 weeks ago

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Cracker like you I just love my Studio 20 v.3's as well. Oh, if you are looking for some excellent bass to compliment your 20's go to J&R.com and look up the 8" Acoustic Research powered sub. I just got (2) of them today and for $99 dollars each delivered it is an amazing deal. Dont be fooled- this sub uses a passive radiator so it is kinda like getting 2 drivers for the price of 1. Hence, it is very articulate, tight , and punchy just the way I like it. I just got rid of my Paradigm PS1000 v.4 10" sub and these (2) Acoustic Research subs will give the PS1000 v.4 a run for the money yet only cost about a 1/5 of cost each. Do yourself a favor and get you one or two before they are all gone!!!

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
You Speakerman, you talking about the Acoustic Research ARPR808? They still have some. I think I might have to grab one, but damn I need to pay off the credit card! Luckily my Bday is coming up, and tax returns, and spring break (working the whole week)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah Cracker that is the one. Real small big sound. Very tight and articulate. Rated at 150 rms and I believe it is doing every bit of it. For $99 shipped for each one I really dont think you will find one better for the money. I did have a Paradigm PS1000 v.4 sub which was very good as well. But, the AR 8" sub is NOT far behind at a fraction of the cost. Sure, the Paradigm played a little deeper and had a bit more power BUT the AR sub is better than many I have heard in that price range. It is made of high quality and I am thinking about ordering another one. Good luck in your decision.

Highgear

Highgear

Audioholic Intern
I've been researching bookshelf and tower speakers for some time. The Paradigm Studio 20's are always raved about. I had the day off yesterday and took a ride up to a high-end audio store in Mass. I got to listen to both the Studio 20's and the Monitor 3's. Both sounded good but different from one another. I brought a mix of music, Van Halen, The Motels and Mozart. The Studio 20's were more defined. You could hear more of Martha Davis's voice and the background she was singing in. The Monitor 3's had more bass to them. I think a person without a sub would be better off with the Monitor 3's. Both still sounded great at a loudness I would never surpass. Chalk another one up for Paradigm.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Highgear said:
I've been researching bookshelf and tower speakers for some time. The Paradigm Studio 20's are always raved about. I had the day off yesterday and took a ride up to a high-end audio store in Mass. I got to listen to both the Studio 20's and the Monitor 3's. Both sounded good but different from one another. I brought a mix of music, Van Halen, The Motels and Mozart. The Studio 20's were more defined. You could hear more of Martha Davis's voice and the background she was singing in. The Monitor 3's had more bass to them. I think a person without a sub would be better off with the Monitor 3's. Both still sounded great at a loudness I would never surpass. Chalk another one up for Paradigm.
Highgear I agree with you to some extent. IMHO, the all new v.4 version of Paradigm Monitor Line is improved. The mini monitor to me sounded a bit more punchy and not as boomy sounding as the v.3 version. I also prefer the sound of the Monitor 3 v.4 because it does not seem to be as stressed at higher volumes as the mini AND the soundstage is bigger as well. However, the Studio 20 v.3's are a HUGE step up both in sound and build quality. The 20's are much more refined, open and airy, and produce a soundstage that is very controlled and accurate. The low frequency extension is much much more articuale and punchy sounding. Soon, the Studio v.4 version will be arriving. Bet they sound even better.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I watched Pirates of the Carribean last nite, they sounded great to only be using them and the cerwin vega sub. I really like these speakers, but i had my left one too close to the tv, and it was causing some color distortion, so I had to move it over.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Crackerballer said:

Congratulation on the new Studio's

When you get the cash you could purchase your surrounds. Or just purchase a pair of Studio 40's and move the 20's to the rear and get ready to really get blown away. :eek: :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis