Paradigm Studio 20 vs. Studio 40

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I searched a bit and found no 20 vs. 40 threads.

if the speakers are gonna be used with a sub for 2.1 channel listening ...
do you think the extra driver of the 40 would improve SQ?
(less work for the middle driver)

also, what wattage would be sufficient for these guys?
(options 120wpc, 200wpc)

Last edited by a moderator:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
mike c said:
I searched a bit and found no 20 vs. 40 threads.

if the speakers are gonna be used with a sub for 2.1 channel listening ...
do you think the extra driver of the 40 would improve SQ?
(less work for the middle driver)

also, what wattage would be sufficient for these guys?
(options 120wpc, 200wpc)
Hello I own the Studio 20 v.3's and just love them. When I did some rather extensive listening to the Studio Line I was not too impressed with the Studio 40's. Sure, it will give you a larger soundstage but at the expense of imaging. That is, the Studio 20 v.3's do EVERYTHING the Studio 40 's do BUT with better imaging and more articulation in the upper midbass and migrange regions. However, the Studio 40's will offer you some lower frequency extension but it is not as tight as the
Studio 20's. I also believe the mids sound a bit better balanced than the
40's, therefore, at the time of purchase, I did not see ANY reason whatsoever to spend the extra $300-$400 dollars. Use your money more wisely and go with the 20's. The imaging and sound they produce is absolutely stunning!!!! Hope this helps. Happy hunting.:) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks speakerman. what amp are you using with the 20's?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Pioneer 1015

I'm guessing but me thinks I saw it in a recent thread?Good chance I'll stand corrected lol.:D

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
I went to a local shop (Marvin's Electronics here in Ft. Worth) a few months ago and the (very helpful) sales guy gave me quite a bit of time and an A/B setup with the Studio 20s and 40s.

I enjoyed the 20s, more so than the 40s - with the caveat that you will use a sub with the setup. The 20s just seemed cleaner, less muddy in their mid-range presentation to me. We had them powered with a Denon 3805 if memory serves me right.

Primary audition material was Sting: Brand New Day in DTS, some Allison Krause, and the "Leeloo escapes / car chase" scene from the Superbit version of the 5th Element.

We were both there listening, pressing the A/B switch - and while I was thinking it, it was the sales guy who commented first that he liked the 20s better.

As always, listen for yourself if you can.

~Josh

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
The 20s are a nice little monitor for the money. Once you start getting into the more expensive Paradigm floorstanders, I think there are better options elsewhere. The 20s and a sub is nice combo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
speakerman39 said:
Hello I own the Studio 20 v.3's and just love them. When I did some rather extensive listening to the Studio Line I was not too impressed with the Studio 40's. Sure, it will give you a larger soundstage but at the expense of imaging. That is, the Studio 20 v.3's do EVERYTHING the Studio 40 's do BUT with better imaging and more articulation in the upper midbass and migrange regions. However, the Studio 40's will offer you some lower frequency extension but it is not as tight as the
Studio 20's. I also believe the mids sound a bit better balanced than the
40's, therefore, at the time of purchase, I did not see ANY reason whatsoever to spend the extra $300-$400 dollars. Use your money more wisely and go with the 20's. The imaging and sound they produce is absolutely stunning!!!! Hope this helps. Happy hunting.:) :)
I found exactly the opposite. I found the 40s to be more articulate than the 20s with better imaging due to the additional midrange capability. The 20s seemed to be the ones lacking midrange to me, making the bass seem a little heavier almost. The 40s do not have any more low extension than the 20s, they are tuned exactly the same and I was surprised to find that in-room they performed quite similarly in terms of bass (which is saying a lot about the 20s). I would pick the 40s over the 20s every time, though that is not to say that the 20s are a bad choice at all. For the money however, I agree with cornelius, even at the price of the 20s, I'd be looking elsewhere.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
for the price : what other options are there?
im drawing blanks ... if not digm, I can only go back down to the B&W 6 series

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
mike c said:
thanks speakerman. what amp are you using with the 20's?
No amp here sorry but do have a Pioneer 1015 which does just fine. The sound is full and plenty clean and loud.:p

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
j_garcia said:
I found exactly the opposite. I found the 40s to be more articulate than the 20s with better imaging due to the additional midrange capability. The 20s seemed to be the ones lacking midrange to me, making the bass seem a little heavier almost. The 40s do not have any more low extension than the 20s, they are tuned exactly the same and I was surprised to find that in-room they performed quite similarly in terms of bass (which is saying a lot about the 20s). I would pick the 40s over the 20s every time, though that is not to say that the 20s are a bad choice at all. For the money however, I agree with cornelius, even at the price of the 20s, I'd be looking elsewhere.
Well all I can say is that based on my listening session(s) in which I have spent many hours auditioning several of the Paradigm speakers these are my observations. And, after owning my Studio 20 v.3's I am still more convinced that the Studio 40's would offer me very little if any real advantage at all. In fact, the Studio 20's sound better each and everytime I hear them.:) :) Therfore, imho I would definitely go with the
Studio 20's. Never heard the Studio 60's or the 100's so can be of no help there.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks cyberbri, will check if they have dealers over here.

oops. looks like they're similar to SVS and axiom. no luck for me.

Last edited:
C

cyberbri

Banned
mike c said:
thanks cyberbri, will check if they have dealers over here.

They are Internet direct, with a 30-day return policy. You'd have to contact them and see if they ship to where you are.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
htaddict, only the denon 4806 running the right? (whats the wpc of the 4806?)

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
speakerman39 said:
Well all I can say is that based on my listening session(s) in which I have spent many hours auditioning several of the Paradigm speakers these are my observations. And, after owning my Studio 20 v.3's I am still more convinced that the Studio 40's would offer me very little if any real advantage at all. In fact, the Studio 20's sound better each and every time I hear them.:) :) Therefore, IMHO I would definitely go with the
Studio 20's. Never heard the Studio 60's or the 100's so can be of no help there.
I will share my experience the Studio 20s. Six years ago after auditioning many speakers in my price range $500 - $700 for the mains I decided the Studio 20s (ver. 2) were the best to my ears. Also at the same time I purchased a big ugly Hsu VTF2. Every time I think about upgrading my speakers, I realized how much I like the sound of the 20s. At least in ver 2 the bass can be a bit boomy for my taste, but no matter, I run them small anyway. It surprises me because for most things I always want the latest and greatest, but I have absolutely no urge to go out and audition other speakers, even after six years.

Nick

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to audition the Studio 40's or the 60's, but I did do extensive listening between the Studio 100's (v3) and the Studio 20's, both paired w/ the Servo-15 sub. I was sold on the 100's, as I was looking for floorstanding speakers for my fronts, but figured I'd listen to the 20's as they'd gotten so much good press. Needless to say, I was floored by the performance of the 20's. I ended up buying the 100's, but I'm now seriously considering buying the 20's for a Zone 2 setup where I currently have the Atom v3's. The only catch is that the Atoms are wall-mounted via Premier brackets and the 20's don't have any bracketing capability.

J.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Jason Coleman said:
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to audition the Studio 40's or the 60's, but I did do extensive listening between the Studio 100's (v3) and the Studio 20's, both paired w/ the Servo-15 sub. I was sold on the 100's, as I was looking for floorstanding speakers for my fronts, but figured I'd listen to the 20's as they'd gotten so much good press. Needless to say, I was floored by the performance of the 20's. I ended up buying the 100's, but I'm now seriously considering buying the 20's for a Zone 2 setup where I currently have the Atom v3's. The only catch is that the Atoms are wall-mounted via Premier brackets and the 20's don't have any bracketing capability.

J.
I could not even imagine someone mounting the
Studio 20 v.3's on a wall. I mean these things are quite heavy. I am sure there are ways to do it but man that would have to be one heck of a chore. Wish I could hear the Studio 100's myself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis