Paradigm Seismic 10 vs Definitive Tech SuperCube I

S

sCiEnT

Junior Audioholic
I just got a new Paradigm setup of Studio 100's, ADP470 and CC570 and I am currently looking for a sub. I think I have it narrowed down to the Paradigm Seismic 10 or Definitive Tech SuperCube I . The Seismic is $1350 and the Cube $1200. But from reading the specs it appears that the Cubes go lower (14 Hz — 200 kHz) than the Seismic. If anyone has any experience with either or both of these subs I would love to hear your comments.

Other recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks.

ps: The Cube is heavier than the Seismic, is that a good thing?

Q

quadlog

Enthusiast
I don't think weight is a plus, especially when trying to position it.

How low do you really want to go? If you're REALLY concerned with what people coin "subterranian" bass then get the cube since what you are gettinig is inaudible but you can "feel" it.

Either way that's a whole crap load of power for both subs. Is your room big enough to warrant those subs? I know of a couple of friends that purchased subs that were way to large for their space so most of that power is useless unless you feel like blowing out an ear drum. :p

S

sCiEnT

Junior Audioholic
quadlog said:
I don't think weight is a plus, especially when trying to position it.

How low do you really want to go? If you're REALLY concerned with what people coin "subterranian" bass then get the cube since what you are gettinig is inaudible but you can "feel" it.

Either way that's a whole crap load of power for both subs. Is your room big enough to warrant those subs? I know of a couple of friends that purchased subs that were way to large for their space so most of that power is useless unless you feel like blowing out an ear drum. :p
The Seismic's go to about 21Hz while the Cube's go to about 14Hz. I don't know if that is a big difference. Leaning towards the Seismic now though (for no particular reason!)

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
I went speaker "shopping" with a fella who tried many speakers and in the end settled on a set of Paradigm Reference series speakers including a Paradigm sub woofer. The sub he purchased was the one recommended for the Monitor 9 setup but by the time he had finished buying and upgrading to the Reference line he was beyond his budget. The woofer was a 12" Paradigm, forget the exact model. We heard the seismic and it was very good, excellent really, I think better then the larger model he has. In the end, the one he got has performed extremely well and quite frankly, his 5.1 has to date been easily and by far the best I have heard. The bass is just right. It's there when he want's it and otherwise with his music taste, not really identifyable as coming from anything but the mains. I like the Seismic but then, I don't know anything about the Definitive other then it's good reputation and good reviews.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis