S

Scizz

Audiophyte
Which is better, paradigm signature s8's or b&w 8-4's? I've heard em both but cant decide. the s8's seem a bit more natural. i'll be using an anthem p5 amp.

U

Unregistered

B&W

I've got to say that I havent heard B&Ws but for the price you will have to pay for them they almost have to be better than Paradigms. I just bought new speakers this weekend and was looking at both the monitor series and studio reference series and unless you listen to all punk rock, dont buy paradigms. They sound very "consumer brand" to me, I think they would sell well at best buy or circiut city. Unless of course you like things extremely bright then maybe get the reference line.
I personally just bought PSB Image 5s.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Listen some more. Expand your search until you find something you really like. Buy only when you are satisfied. :cool:

O

outsider

Audioholic
Scizz said:
Which is better, paradigm signature s8's or b&w 8-4's?
I have also listened to both and prefer the B&W.
Although, the Paradigms do have a very nice sound once they are broken in, the B&W are just all around nicer.

T

ttowntony

Enthusiast
SCIZZ,

The two models you are questioning are quite a bit different in price-point at nearly $2K more for the S8's. Having owned and auditioned both these, I will give you my .02 worth.

The B&W 804 (Owned) is a very nice speaker and looks fantastic. It retails for around $3600, but you should be able to get 10-15% off retail. It matches well with separates and receivers....And, they like lots of power! I won't go into explaining how they sound as this should be subjective to your own ears. Hey, if you like them, then buy them.....They are nice, detailed, have great midrange, and matched with a nice sub sound quite impressive. The N803 is more to the pricerange of the S8, though.

The Paradigm S8.....Hmmm, are they really worth 2x the price of the Studio 100v3....Ahh, I'm leaning towards a NO here. If you go on looks alone the S8 completly outshines the Studios and probably the N804 as well. The piano black gloss of the S8 is beautiful, and they have a much, much, much better cabinet than the Studio line and just feel more substantle. The sound is better than the Studio 100v3, but then again, is it 2x the price better? I would lean toward the S8 over the N804 as I think the Paradigms matched with quality components sound better IMO and have more detail. You need more power for the S8 compared to the N804. I would recommend at least 200W/Ch to really made these babies shine. The N804 would also benefit from having more power.

It's your ears, we can't make the decision for you....Both are quality pieces.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis