Paradigm monitor 5 or 7

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I am planning an upgrade from my Mini-Monitors in front to either the Monitor 5 or 7, then putting the Minis in the rear. The price difference between the 7 and the 5 with Premier stands will be negligable. I know I have to listen to both, and will certainly be doing so. But, I am also interested in anyone's opinions on this choice and their comparison experiences. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You should listen to both, but the two are basically identical except for the lower tuning of the cabinet of the 7s. I felt the 7s were a bit sloppy on the bottom end with the lower tuning and liked the 5s a little better. If you must go Paradigm, I'd actually say go for Studio 20s instead. You can get stands that are better than the S30s or S26s from Paradigm (both of which I've owned) from Parts Express for about half the price.

If you're open to other brands, I'd say give the Ascend CMT-340s a look because they are about the same price as 5s and they are going to be a much better speaker. (I haven't herard the 340s yet, I will on Sunday, but the 170s are excellent) I've owned the 5s and used 20s and 40s in my setup also.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
My auditioning of the Paradigm line found very little difference between the M5, M7, and S20....except as JGarcia pointed out...the 7's can be just a wee bit sloppy (compared to the other 2). If this is the way you must go, the S20 has a very tiny bit of dynamic advantage...to my tin ears, anyway.

Good luck with your search.

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
rjbudz said:
My auditioning of the Paradigm line found very little difference between the M5, M7, and S20....except as JGarcia pointed out...the 7's can be just a wee bit sloppy (compared to the other 2). /QUOTE]

Could you or someone please explain what this "wee bit sloppy" concept means? I've seen stuff like this mentioned before, but I have no clue what it means. Thanks.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Due to space constraints on my new HT room arrangement, I had to skip from big floorstanders to bookshelves and my final decision was over the Paradigms M5 V.3 and tell you what, I'm pretty impressed on how good they sound/blend with the remaining speakers (all JBL's, in a 7.1 system).

I had the chance to hear the M7 and the B&W DM 602 S.3 and the M5's were the winners (not by a large margin, though).

My 0.2 cents.

Wish you luck on your new quest.

Cheers / Avliner.

cam

cam

Audioholic
Cavediver said:
rjbudz said:
My auditioning of the Paradigm line found very little difference between the M5, M7, and S20....except as JGarcia pointed out...the 7's can be just a wee bit sloppy (compared to the other 2). /QUOTE]

Could you or someone please explain what this "wee bit sloppy" concept means? I've seen stuff like this mentioned before, but I have no clue what it means. Thanks.
Ya, I'd like to hear this too. The 7's are not sloppy, in fact, in the real world they don't even go low enough for someone to say they sound sloppy. It is the complete opposite, they are tight. The low bass with the 7's is almost non existent, the mid bass on these things is very tight. If you overdrive these things they will sound crappy but so will anything. Trust me, I own the 7's and they are far from sounding sloppy, whatever the hell that is. I have listened to all the Monitor Line and all in all, they all sound pretty good in their own right.You just have to decide if you want 5's on stands that can be toppled easier and just don't look very good, or you can get 7's which go lower, sound better on their own without a sub, are slightly more efficient, and if you ask me, look 10 fold better then 5's on stands. You also have to remember who is giving you advice. J Garcia recommends the 5's and has stated he has owned the 20's and 40's. The trend is he likes standmounts and there is probabley nothing that will change his mind. Go and listen, see what sounds and looks best within your budget and buy them.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
Thanks CAM - good post!

cam said:
Cavediver said:
Ya, I'd like to hear this too. The 7's are not sloppy, in fact, in the real world they don't even go low enough for someone to say they sound sloppy. It is the complete opposite, they are tight. The low bass with the 7's is almost non existent, the mid bass on these things is very tight. If you overdrive these things they will sound crappy but so will anything. Trust me, I own the 7's and they are far from sounding sloppy, whatever the hell that is. I have listened to all the Monitor Line and all in all, they all sound pretty good in their own right.You just have to decide if you want 5's on stands that can be toppled easier and just don't look very good, or you can get 7's which go lower, sound better on their own without a sub, are slightly more efficient, and if you ask me, look 10 fold better then 5's on stands. You also have to remember who is giving you advice. J Garcia recommends the 5's and has stated he has owned the 20's and 40's. The trend is he likes standmounts and there is probabley nothing that will change his mind. Go and listen, see what sounds and looks best within your budget and buy them.
The low bass is not an issue for me as I have a nice sub. I do need additional power handling above the Minis rating, as I tend to listen at pretty loud levels in a large room, so I'm anticipating that the 5s will fill my room better and the 7s will do so even more. Good point about the aesthetics. While quality of sound is paramount of course, you also have to look at your equipment as you are listening and the 7s would indeed look better to me also. However, I will decide for myself at my local dealer. As far as sound is concerned, I think I can conclude from this that there is not much difference between the two in the upper bass, midrange and treble. The listening tests will likely confirm this, we'll see.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The difference is, the 5s don't extend as low. When pushed hard, the 7s sound to me like they are trying too hard; giving up some midrange performance to achieve the slightly lower extension. I listened to the 7s full range and the 5s full range and I'd pick the 5s, that is my personal preference. The lack of low end on the 5s makes them sound cleaner to my ears, just as many say about the Atoms vs Titans, and the same thing I feel happens with the Minis vs Monitor 3s.

No offense, but my real issue with the Monitor line is they lack in musical performance - IMO, their one weak point, and the reason why I sold mine. My 2 favorite speakers in the Monitor line would be the 5s and the 11s. For a stereo music system, the 90Ps or 11s would be great.

The Studios have an odd sound to them to me that I didn't quite like. They are very good overall, but were not what I was looking for, but they are a noticable step up from the Monitors.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
cam said:
Cavediver said:
I didn't intend to offend any M7 owners. Sorry if you took it as a slam. I was not comparing the M7's to any other speakers in my comment other than the M5 and S20. It was not intended to insult, just to express the small difference in my experience of the models. My point was that the bass on the M7 was not quite as crisp and quick as the other 2 models. It's the nature of the cabinet tuning, I'd guess. But this was nit picking, as I said. It was only barely noticeable. I'll say again, They were very close to being indistinguishable.

My personal belief is that if the OP wants to stick with Paras, buy the cheapest that fits his needs....simply because they all are so similar.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
Monitor line is for me

I understand the recommendations to step up to the Studio line - I know they would sound better in almost every way. I can get the Monitor 7s for a little over $700 (of course the 5s would be even less) while the Studio 20s I think are around $1200. To me the Monitor line represents the best value for money in the Paradigm catalog, although it's very hard to beat the mighty Atom for value.

A question - have any of you bi-wired your 5s or 7s and did you notice a significant improvement? I stress bi-wired, not bi-amped. Bi-amping is not an option for me just now, maybe later. What is the best way to bi-wire these models. Thanks.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
eirepaul said:
I understand the recommendations to step up to the Studio line - I know they would sound better in almost every way. I can get the Monitor 7s for a little over $700 (of course the 5s would be even less) while the Studio 20s I think are around $1200. To me the Monitor line represents the best value for money in the Paradigm catalog, although it's very hard to beat the mighty Atom for value.

A question - have any of you bi-wired your 5s or 7s and did you notice a significant improvement? I stress bi-wired, not bi-amped. Bi-amping is not an option for me just now, maybe later. What is the best way to bi-wire these models. Thanks.
IMHO bi-wiring serves absolutely no beneficial purpose. It's a waste of good wire, lol. But a lot of people use it and swear by it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No need to biwire these guys at all.

I liked the 7s well enough, I just liked the 5s more.

$1200 for v3 20s? That seems high; should be able to get 40s for that price. When I had the v3 40s they had just come out (I literally got the first pair the shop got in) and they were $1100 before tax.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I have had Studio 20s v2 for about 6 years now. When I bought them the list price was $700. You say $1200 now... wow. I have had them paired with a Hsu VTF2 the whole time and the 20s are set as small, crossed over at 80Hz. To get to the point of my post, while I have had bouts of upgradeitis, I like the 20s too much to consider a change. Certainly part of the equation is having a good musical sub to fill in the low end. So, here is a vote to at least audition the 20s if you have a decent sub. If you don't have a good sub then floor standers make more sense. IMO.

Nick

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
Nick250 said:
I have had Studio 20s v2 for about 6 years now. When I bought them the list price was $700. You say $1200 now... wow. I have had them paired with a Hsu VTF2 the whole time and the 20s are set as small, crossed over at 80Hz. To get to the point of my post, while I have had bouts of upgradeitis, I like the 20s too much to consider a change. Certainly part of the equation is having a good musical sub to fill in the low end. So, here is a vote to at least audition the 20s if you have a decent sub. If you don't have a good sub then floor standers make more sense. IMO.

Nick
Thanks Nick - I think I am off base with the Studio 20s price, they may be more in the $800-900 range. Good thoughts - I think I may give them a listen when I audition the Monitor 5s and 7s. You never know until you listen for yourself. I did like the idea of floor-standers for the fronts though. I just think the 7s look kind of sleek and clean, plus they have better power handling capabilities. But then again, the Studio 20s sound may really appeal to me.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Eirepaul,

just out of curiosity, what's the best bet in terms of pricing for the M5's?

Thanks / Avliner.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I like your system Snarl

7's over the 5's IMHO

Another Guy From Canada

Denon AVR-3805
Outlaw 755 5 x 200W Channel Amplifier
2 x Paradigm Monitor 11's Mains
2 x Paradigm Monitor 7's Surrounds
1 x Paradigm CC-370 Center
1 x Paradigm PW-2100 Sub
Yamaha CDC-765 CD Player
Yamaha DVD-S796 DVD Player

You are an upgrade or two ahead of me with your fronts and rears. Otherwise our systems are pretty similar. I'm leaning towards the 7s, unless the auditions convince me otherwise. They are the perfect height and width for my locations. If the 5s sound about the same, I'm buying the 7s.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
avliner said:
Eirepaul,

just out of curiosity, what's the best bet in terms of pricing for the M5's?

Thanks / Avliner.
My local dealer would sell them to me for around $560. Recommended price is $599. The 7s are $799.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis