Paradigm bookshelves

S

southbound

Audiophyte
Looking at getting my first HT purchased. I am looking at Paradigms for fronts and center channel. I have been considering mini monitors with a CC 370 but in an effort to meet my budget am considering getting Titans with a CC170. Anyone have any input on Titans as fronts good or bad. Also input on the CC170 would be appreciated. I am looking for a good HT system with room to upgrade in the future. Will probably use a Yamaha receiver RV-X 750, 1400, or 1500.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
southbound,
what is your movie/ music listening? If you watch alot of movies, even if you go with the performance line i would strongly suggest listening to the cc270 cause around 70% of your sound comes from the center channel. I had the titans as fronts for a while and just upgraded to the monitor 7s and moved the titans to surrounds. The titans work well as both fronts or surrounds. I suggest the titans as fronts and atoms as rears, and atleast the cc270 for center. If you plan on upgrading in the future, maybe look at the cc370 as it adds alot to the effects of HT. great choice on paradigm and good luck
derek

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
I agree with the previous suggestions...get a slightly better center channel speaker that might match some nice fronts that you eventually get to replace whatever fronts you purchase now that you will eventually move to the surround position. The Atoms and Titans are both nice speakers and will serve you well wherever you put them. The center channel speaker is the heart of a decent 5.1 as far as dialogue is concerned, so I'd throw more money there now. Save money on the fronts with the Atoms or Titans now and move 'em behind you when you get some really asskickin' fronts in a few months (years). Check out Paradigm's ADP-170's for surrounds when the budget permits. Yummy diffused dipole goodness...

Jason

R

RDL

Enthusiast
Have you ever thought about about splitting the difference between the Titans and the Mini Monitors and purchasing a pair of Focus'. They are actaully the better match to the CC-270. Timber matching is an important factor that you should take into account when you're purchasing you front speakers for a HT setup. The Focus' and the CC-270 are a timber matching pair. Both speakers use the same drivers, and follow the same characteristics. The result will allow for smoother left-center-right transitions during movie playback.

Happy listening

cam

cam

Audioholic
My first set up was 4 atoms and a cc 170. The atoms were really good for mains and surrounds but the cc 170 was very very grating and fatigueing. The tweeter in the 170 can be overwhelmed very quickly. Stay away if you can and save a little more money before you purchase. I gaurantee the cc 170 will do for now but sounds like you are going to upgrade soon since you are already looking at the monitor line. I also agree that the cc 270 will match the Focus bookshelves much better then the titans. For the price increase over the titans and cc 170's to the focus and cc 270 you might aswell get what you really want, the mini monitors and the cc 370. I have the cc 370 with monitor 7's and adp 370's and I will not be upgrading anytime soon if ever. When I was auditioning the monitor line I was getting the cc 370 and the adp 370's for sure, I just didn't know which speakers I wanted for mains. While the mini's would have satisfied me, the monitor 3's were way better sounding (fuller richer) and for only $50 more. I settled on the 7's because I had the money but if I was going past my budget I would have been perfectly happy with the mini's but the 3's are nice and for only $50 more you may want to take a listen. Just some advice, save your money and buy what you want. If that means buying in steps then so be it. Just buy your mains and matching center together because down the road you may not be able to match perfectly if paradigm changes up their line up. I heard the v4's will be out soon so you may get a better deal on the v3's.

S

southbound

Audiophyte
Well got a chance to listen in A/B comparison the Titans and Mini monitors today along with the CC170 vs CC370. The biggest difference was in CD music. The Mini's were much better in my opinion than the Titans. Just a much smoother and richer sound. It was a disappointment when he switched from the Minis to the Titans. If I had only heard the Titans, I would say they are a great sounding speaker, but the monitor series outshines it which I guess it should. I did notice a little more fuller and dynamic sound from the CC 370 as opposed to the CC 170, but all speakers sounded good in surround sound with a DVD.
Two more questions I need help with. Does it matter as much to stick with the same brand of in-ceilng speakers for surround sound. I know it is critical for mains & center. One dealer told me there is not a whole lot of difference you can do with ceilling speakers. Also, has anyone compared Paradigm bookshelves with Boston Acoustic, mainly thier CR 65,67,75,77 bookshelf models.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis