Paper-thin CD Replacement in 5 Years?

<font color='#000080'>Ananova posted a story today about a new storage device that would apparently be faster and cheaper to manufacture than standard CDs and would hold more than 1GB of data. Here's a few excerpts:<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT color=#0000FF>Scientists say each paper-thin device could store more than a gigabyte of information - equivalent to 1,000 high quality images - in one cubic centimetre of space.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>The thought of a "paper thin device" is both intriguing and troublesome. I woul think the packaging woudl have to remain the current size, so storage and device size reduction are the things to be gained. With Compact Flash/MemoryStick/Etc prices on the fall (and storage on the rise) it remains to be seen how useful this technology will be. I'm still waiting for those 1.5" mini CDs you saw on all the sci-fi movies in the 90's!

[Read the Article]</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>In ten years will people be lamenting the loss of cd decal art the way vinyl users lamented the loss of album cover art and fold out double lps?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I don't know if smaller is necessarily better. &nbsp;Smaller items are easier to lose, although storage with no moving parts is a "better" solution.

I would think though, that In 5 years CD's may be obsolete, but not necessarily because if this techology. &nbsp;Hi-speed downloads for music and jump drives might make ANY storage device obsolete other than mass storage. &nbsp;

Download music and movies to a large hard drive and rip them to a flash memory card for your person headset or the car or whatever. &nbsp;I don't know if the current distribution method (CD's) will be the main way we access music in the next 5 years. &nbsp;It remains to be seen.

What does anyone else think?</font>

<font color='#000080'>I'm thinking wireless, nearly instantaneous transfer via high-speed, cellular-like tech (or at the worst, wired music downloads will take on more quality options). It would take the form of a service-oriented provision, where you pay a fee each month and are alloted the ability to browse, play and sort various material.

Storage is cool (and necessary) for movies and multi-channel surround, hi-def music, etc... but I say low-tech storage needs (relatively speaking) are virtually gone in 5 years...

My opinion and best guess, of course.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

I already have a couple of postage stamp sized 512meg sd media wafers.

How much would it cost for a two sided disc that would hold the entire "Rolling Stones" library?

The size of a record store could be put in a phone booth.

Peter m.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I am in the same league with the idea of jump drives, although Sony's mem Stick can now hold 1GB, in five years we'll be up to 5 to 6GBs. &nbsp;Thats if HD-DVD and HD-DVD Audio (Blue Disc with the DVD-A format
) &nbsp;don't take over. &nbsp;Can we say 7.1 Discrete 192kHz/24bit or how about 9.2 discrete 96kHz/24bit. &nbsp;

Who know's but the same feeling of the "new 1GHz CPU" is coming over me about HD-DVD.

~Bob</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think paper-thin CDs would expose the media to more breakage risk.

those new high resolution multichannel formats will probably take over within the next 5 years as the mainstream media of choice the way CDs did to LPs.  Hopefully, new forms of more robust storage media can be developed like memory sticks and cards that require no moving parts. &nbsp;Then we can forget about those jitters that mechanical transports pressumably intorduce.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis