Panasonic SC-PT650 Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Panasonic has released a series of home theater systems that are featured at the typical big box store. The SC-PT650 is at the entry level of the PT series and features a low entry price for those seeking an economical option. As is typical for HTIBs, this package has 5 small speakers, a woofer module, Amp/DVD changer, remote control, iPod dock, and the necessary hook up cables. I have personally been witness to the popularity of these home theater systems as I have worked for Best Buy in the past, and the PT650 is no exception. Panasonic has done a good job of producing a clean sound at moderate volume levels and adding some features that make this system fairly attractive.

Discuss "Panasonic SC-PT650 Home Theater System" here. Read the article.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive system for my 5 year old son's bedroom to go with his 32" SD TV he uses for watching DVDs. Do you think this unit would be that much better (dollar wise vs. performance) than the Insignia you reviewed yesterday for him? I'm kinda leaning toward the Insignia just for the price difference and the fact you wrote that the Insignia had nominal bass response (I'd rather not hear the thumping of Spiderman 3 coming from his room) .:D

Also - How do the two unit's remotes compare regarding ease of use for a 5 year old?

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
There are a few more First Look articles on HTIBs coming in the next week or so. Sorry I didn't see this post until tonight. If you were getting it for Christmas, I guess my input isn't valid now. But, if it's an anytime kind of purchase, then I'll have some more options for you to see. A couple of them are between those two in price, as well. Later!

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Nope -- it wasn't a Christmas present - just a "sometime in the near future" deal. I'll be looking forward to and appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. :)

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Btw, I noticed that the cheapo Insignia system is on sale for $80 this week at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8254337&type=product&id=1169512522336&ref=10&loc=01&AID=10474050&PID=404255&URL=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8254337&type=product&id=1169512522336&ref=10&loc=01

So, if ultra cheap is good enough, then you might want to go for it. Otherwise, I think I personally prefer the sound of the Samsung HTiB systems. So, if you just need something cheap, now is the time. But, if you still want it low cost and reasonably decent, then I think the entry level Samsung HT-X50 might be a better sounding choice. A first-look on that one is pending, btw...

Anyway, I hope that helps. Later!

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Yep - that's cheap alright but I believe I'll wait for the Samsung 1st look before I decide. I don't want my son to grow up and think Dad stuck him with a really el-cheapo system -- that is IF it lasts that long -- he'll probably break whatever I get him as he's pretty rough on stuff -- his Grandpa calls him Hammer-head - and says he could break a crowbar in a sandbox... :D It may be more economical in the long-run to get him a few of those Insignias on sale ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis