Panasonic Plasma VT60 display clarity issues

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
When I heard that Panasonic is stopping plasma production I decided to replay my PZ750U display with a current generation VT60. This new display is much clearer. And this is where my problem lies. Watching blu-ray movies I now notice a shimmer (video artifacting) around moving objects. Mostly noticeable in panning scenes. For instance, there is a shimmer around an actor who is running through a scene. I see it in all movies now. Even ones I did not notice it before. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I could give my thoughts but I would only be repeating what I read in this thread at another forum check it out it just may be useful, most of the settings and info come from D-Nice one of the very best calibrators in the industry. HighDefJunkies Forum

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
How many hours do you have on the display? My ST60 had some pretty bad "shimmering" for the first few days and it seemed to diminish. I still notice it a little bit sometimes, but only in certain situations.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I could give my thoughts but I would only be repeating what I read in this thread at another forum check it out it just may be useful, most of the settings and info come from D-Nice one of the very best calibrators in the industry. HighDefJunkies Forum
I've seen that name come up before. I'll check the thread out a little more thoroughly this time. Thanks Sawzalot.

How many hours do you have on the display? My ST60 had some pretty bad "shimmering" for the first few days and it seemed to diminish. I still notice it a little bit sometimes, but only in certain situations.
I have have the TV for almost 2 months now. It doesn't get used that much. If I say 50 hours I might still be way off. I've watched maybe 12 movies since I got it. Plus I had the Playstation

I was wondering if changing the sharpness setting would help. I have not tried it yet. These TV's come with a lot of settings. Will check out D-Nice's comments in the thread mentioned by Sawzalot.

I wonder how much receivers and speakers have change in the last 7+ years. I see Paradigm has changed their Studio line quite a bit, and the cost of these new speakers is crazy.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The shimmering for me was gone by that point. I did find that reducing sharpness helped, but it wasn't the biggest factor.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I am now able to see this effect in all live action movies. I have not noticed it in animated features. When I step through each frame individually I couldn't really see anything "funny". So, I went back to the settings in the TV and made sure all enhancing features to OFF. It seems to have resolved the problem. I will revisit a movie I have recently watched and post back here.

UPDATE: I think the post by BMXTRIX here best describes what I was seeing.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Okay. Problem resolved. It had to do with the settings. Another name that this effect goes by is The Soap Opera Effect. Now I know. Picture looks great. No more shimmer effect.

Cheer!S

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis